Black weekend. not renault 20 plus other collection's

garbaldy

Whilst not as entertaining to read , £60s worth of European breakdown insurance might be a worthwhile investment next time.

Re the alternator, I got an extra 50,000 miles out of my Chrysler 300 one by jet washing the fecker.

My favourite so far would be a toss up between that Ascona 400 and the Admiral( I thought it was a Diplomat too).

yes the merc was a let down but when it goes right its a nice steer, this was its second German trip and it was faultless last time unfortunately it was one of the cars that was being driven home that was the problem then,

funny thing is that the German guys didn't like mercs they said they are not that popular in their area, Audi and opel being the preferred wheels of choice.

So after saying our farewell's and swapping email addresses for future offers on his cars we fired up the dizzle panzerwagen and pointed it west for hopefully the last time,

we used the small battery that was no good for the car and rigged up some charging for the phone just in case this was not the end of our troubles,

post-3747-0-78326300-1449260669_thumb.jpgpost-3747-0-80183200-1449260699_thumb.jpg

we new fine well that three battery's would not get us to Scotland and after a few calls we now had a mate heading south with two truck battery's and a huge started pack plus his passport just incase, if that little haul wouldn't get us home then at least we would be warm at the side of the road watching it burn,

we drove for mile after mile wrapped up in coats with no heating no lights and little use of the wipers in a desperate bid for euroland freeeeddoooooomm.

the first battery managed to get us around Brussels and past Ghent where we stopped and swapped to a fresh battery, we have finally managed to get the pitstops down to under two minutes with plenty practice and we where on our merry way again,

this batt was holding up well and darkness was falling at an alarming rate, then we hit stop start traffic once more, hour after hour moving a few feet at a time just waiting for the car to stop dead right in the middle of the traffic jam, now that would have pleased all the commuters.

after what seemed like an eternity we where suddenly heading down the slip road and we decided to switch on full lights so as the police didn't think we where weirdos (they would have been right though) round the roundabout and as we accelerated back up the slip the auld gall started to hick so back of with the lights and away we went, to our amazement that battery held out and made it to the chunnel where this was what awaited us,

post-3747-0-93930500-1449260788_thumb.jpg

after waiting for 45 minutes we where at the booth and raped for 480 euros for the one way ticket home, after regaining conscience we pulled through to the next queue.

post-3747-0-52504600-1449260817_thumb.jpg

another hour later we where heading for the train being shouted at "put up your lights" so we did and the car hickuped onto the train thank fook for that.

we where first on and here is the relieved shot we where going to make it onto English soil.

post-3747-0-97560700-1449260727_thumb.jpgpost-3747-0-26931400-1449260758_thumb.jpg

the last battery was connected up and it was going to be a thrash north to see how far we could get.

tbc

I have no more pictures as even though we had a phone charger it wasn't for my phone, since mine will last two days without charging I never brought the lead as was expecting to be home in under 48 hrs,

so in a brief description we managed to run the car on sidelights all the way to the dartford crossing services where a friendly face awaited us, we hitched the trailer up to his freelander and swapped the two spare dead battery's for two huge truck battery's with one connected to the flat car battery, a quick coffee and we where of following the trailer at 70mph on side lights, mile after mile and this was a series strain on the eyes and the concentration on the unlit sections,

the first truck battery ran out of power after only 200 miles so we pitted and swapped the jump leads to the brand new one but guess what the fooker was stone dead as it had been sitting on the shelf for months,

this left us with the nearly flat one and the starter pack and we set of once more, we stopped at Wetherby services for a pish stop and the damn car just wouldn't start, we thought about just parking it up in the car park and leaving the fucker,

as a last resort we got another set of jump leads from the support vehicle and had car batt connected to starter pack and truck batt and she only fired up, we where of again and surely we could make 150 odd miles,

after matrix signs telling us the A1 was shut we headed through the pipe and kept her lit all the way home with only a few hicks coming up to Berwick, we chatted for ten minutes and left the whole rig to sort out the following evening since it was 4.30am and work beckoned,

I jumped in the hippo and set of home another 25 odd mins and some drifting on the wet roads and I was home, a quick shower and shave and away to bed and fell straight to sleep,

two and a half hours later I was up coffeed and at work, needless to say Monday was the worst day at work as I was yawning all day.

so that is my black weekend and even after all that I would do it all again next week.

I am hoping to head over the channel next week Newhaven Dieppe seems like it might be a better option. The Opels are nice and all that but not much obscure French tat

That's what we did on the way back the other month. Newhaven is a hole with not enough major roads to it and the ferry is a bit low rent, but it does the job and cuts out the utter hideousness of Dover. Dieppe is certainly far more pleasant than Calais.

I assume you went over to France to get the mk1 as it worked out cheaper? Cant help thinking with all these Merc and chunnel prices you could of bought a concourse RS1600 over here instead!

Germany which will be why no old French tat and yes it was cheep, this one will work out rather costly but the other two mk1s and three mk2s will make up for it.

we also got a genuine rs 2000 manifold and twin choke webber for 50 euros which was bloody cheep plus the pinto is a 205 block so plenty value to make it worth while.

Im sat in a ward full of women and babies, who are looking at me a bit oddly after saying farking hell a bit too loudly. Got 'the stare' too from amy.

I hope your gonna torch that fucking merc next weekend..

sorry about that,

nope alternator is ordered as a hot wash through it didn't work, it wont let us down again as the main bits are now new.

So your going back for more!!!!??!!

ive fired of a google translate email to try and buy the the 505 gtd

no idea as the return ticket was only £160 i recon they know they have you over a barrel really so i guess can shaft you i mean what else can you do,

This. We laughed in their faces after getting a ridiculous on-spec price and opted for the ferry instead. Dined aboard and had a lovely time for a fraction of the cost. (2CV roadtrip. We had no idea when we'd be heading home, so couldn't really book in advance).