Best riding cars?

carlo

Am appealing for a bit of help here, chaps, as between you you must have driven every car imaginable.I'm thinking what to replace my 405 with if and when; it's not as good as my first one anyway. The most important thing for me in any car is ride quality and for some mysterious reason this second car has a significantly worse suspension than the first one I had. Probably handles better, but rides worse. I get rotten back trouble and every bump in the road jars it.The question is, what cars (mainstream, and under £2,000!) had the very best ride quality? I've read different contemporary road tests which give conflicting opinions so I don't really trust them. I know the 406 has a good ride but is there anything (short of a Jag) that's better?Reports seem to praise Omegas and Rover 75s but I've never driven either. Any ideas?

Modern you say? Why not go old school and get a Rover P6? Mine's very comfy.Most modern cars do seem a bit firm of ride, though the French often like a bit of comfort. I'd avoid most Japanese cars as they tend to be on the firm side, though I've never tried J-tin barges.An oddball choice would be a bubble Rover 400. Surprisingly compliant, despite the Japanese origins.

For 2 grand I am sure you will get a decent old luxury car that was pampered in it's early life. We have got a 1982 4.2 Daimler, a poverty spec 1982 2L merc, a 1988 240 2.3 volvo top of the range, and a Mk2 granny, all with T&T when we bought em, all collectively under 2 grand! The merc is the most uncomfortable, the most the Daimler but it's not good on petrol. The volvo is excellent value, electric everything, and well looked after. It really depends on what you are looking for, in terms of size ans economy. Insurance would all be classic and cheap, if you can get it.I don't do modern, so can't comment....

If ride quality is at the top of your priority list (and reliability is near the bottom) I think you should invest in a Citroen.I absolutely love the way my BX rides, with its skinny tyres and 'soft' spheres (1.4s have slightly softer suspension, due to the lighter all-alloy engine). But it's hardly a 'mainstream' car nowadays, although it isn't much different from a 405 (hydraulics apart).Xantiae are also very comfortable, especially the early poverty versions with 175/70/14 tyres and the non-electronically-controlled suspension.C5s also ride very well, but somehow lack the 'floaty' feeling of the previous models (which, in turn, were far worse than their predecessors). Still, they're light years ahead of their contemporary Audis etc., as Mr.B has already pointed out.

I wondered how long it would be before someone mentioned old skool Citroens. Big lovely floaty old Citroens. The BBC used them to film the gee-gees dontcha know. But are they the best riding cars? There's only one way to find out.FIGHT!!!Sorry, couldn't help myself. I've driven thousands of cars (Owww, get me!) and I would humbly suggest the best-riding of all was the old long-wheelbase S-Class W-126. Ideally with the big bullet-proof V8. A 560 SEL should do you.

A 406 does ride better than a 405 Carlo, but I think you'd be disappointed with one in other respects compared to the 405, i.e. handling and performance. I know I was, but then I was comparing 1.9TD's, and the 406 is a heavy auld motor and a bit much for the XUD9TE.A Mk1 C5 is a good call - my old boss had an Exclusive 2.2 HDi and it was like a huge, leather sofa on wheels. Easily available under £2k now. Volvos have great seats - the 740GLE my brother used to have had the best chairs in any car I've ever been in, but the live rear axle made for a fidgety ride. An S80 or Saab 9-5 (same comment about the chairs, only not quite as good) would be in budget - might be worth trying one for a few hours.Offball thought - Cadillac Seville like wuvvums?

I thought C5, although a Citroen man tells me they're poor cars, soft indeed but very remote in feel and unreliable. I had thought Xantia and 406 but thought why not broaden horizons and consider something I never would have before (hence the Omega/Rover 75 suggestion.) Something about the 75 that appeals to me. It's got to be my daily driver and work car so can't really be too old. Mid 90s Mercs seem to be particularly cheap at the moment don't they.

Definately big French cars FTW!Early C5 would be a good way to go otherwise R25, Safrane or if you like standing around at roadsides waiting for recovery people, then how about an XM?

Glad someone mentioned the 25- I was going to, but didn't want to be predictable!! To be honest, whilst the seats are AMAZING, the ride is only good!

A Rover 75 is a very smooth and pleasant car, but bear in mind it won't handle like a 405. Its not a fast,aggressive, 'charge around' beast like a BMW either, it's more like a Volvo in style. The MG ones have harder suspensions, but they are hardly M3's either!Avoid 1.8s like the plague. Underpowered, and have a habit of blowing gaskets. Bear in mind 2.0/2.5 V6s, which are good engines, have a very complicated (read expensive) cambelt change, so check it has been done or budget £3-400 (really). Don't know much about the diesels but they are a BMW unit so should be OK. I had a 2.0 V6 and would have another one tomorrow..very tempted by a 45k Y reg at the weekend!Build quality (particularly of the interior) is light years ahead of anything ever made in France bar a Bugatti or maybe a 50's Peugeot (sorry chaps :lol: ). The best ones are the earliest Cowley built cars under the BMW regime, but most Longbridge built ones are OK too. Cowley built cars have a chrome badge at the bottom of the front door denoting the engine size and black painted sills. Some exterior/interior parts specfic to the facelifted models mid 2004 onwards (They will be 04,54 and 05 reg onward) can be hard to find as part makers didn't make many bits. Get a dealer to give you a test drive and see what you think. Baz of this parish had one as well and liked it. Any more questions send me a PM.Mercedes have smooth rides, but hard seats in the ones I have tried. A W124 230 coupe I drove once was a very nice drive mind.Volvo S80 is another thought, or Peugeot 607?

It's got to be my daily driver and work car so can't really be too old.

I think we know newer vehicles are just as likely to fail & probably cost you more when they do!
I probably meant to say nothing really, really old i.e. pre mid 80s. And I would absolutely love a Jag, but am frightened silly by the running costs. Very tempted by a 75, I might have a go in one soon.

A Rover 75 is a very smooth and pleasant car, but bear in mind it won't handle like a 405. Its not a fast,aggressive, 'charge around' beast like a BMW either, it's more like a Volvo in style. The MG ones have harder suspensions, but they are hardly M3's either!Avoid 1.8s like the plague. Underpowered, and have a habit of blowing gaskets. Bear in mind 2.0/2.5 V6s, which are good engines, have a very complicated (read expensive) cambelt change, so check it has been done or budget £3-400 (really). Don't know much about the diesels but they are a BMW unit so should be OK. I had a 2.0 V6 and would have another one tomorrow..very tempted by a 45k Y reg at the weekend!Build quality (particularly of the interior) is light years ahead of anything ever made in France bar a Bugatti or maybe a 50's Peugeot (sorry chaps :lol: ). The best ones are the earliest Cowley built cars under the BMW regime, but most Longbridge built ones are OK too. Cowley built cars have a chrome badge at the bottom of the front door denoting the engine size and black painted sills. Some exterior/interior parts specfic to the facelifted models mid 2004 onwards (They will be 04,54 and 05 reg onward) can be hard to find as part makers didn't make many bits. Get a dealer to give you a test drive and see what you think. Baz of this parish had one as well and liked it. Any more questions send me a PM.Mercedes have smooth rides, but hard seats in the ones I have tried. A W124 230 coupe I drove once was a very nice drive mind.Volvo S80 is another thought, or Peugeot 607?

Did the 75s ever come with the 1.8 Turbo engine like the MG ZT did?If they did,I'd like one in that primrose yellow that you could get on the early 75s :wink:

Remember that the ride of a car is not just about the axle suspension - the seats, carpets, bulkhead insulation quality even how much vibration you feen on the pedals contributes. My CX does feel like it's flying just above the ground but the ride is still let down by vibrations at the pedals. still, it has good handling for the absorbtion abilities.

Remember that the ride of a car is not just about the axle suspension - the seats, carpets, bulkhead insulation quality even how much vibration you feen on the pedals contributes. My CX does feel like it's flying just above the ground but the ride is still let down by vibrations at the pedals. still, it has good handling for the absorbtion abilities.

That seems very true. I can't understand how a 50,000k 405 can have a ride so inferior to a 130,000k one. So far I've swapped the tyres over and changed the rear shockers from the one to the other and it's made damn all difference, the lower mileage one still thumps and crashes over seemingly innocuous road imperfections. I could probably go on forever, starting with front shocks, springs etc, and still be no better off. Hence the admission of defeat and search for an alternative.

what about a subaru? ride like a hovercraft* - dead reliable, probably get an old(ish) legacy for your 2k? just a thought. *a hovercraft you can steer. you wouldn't have to get the missus to hang onto the open door to try and avoid powering up the embankment of the M6 by mistake, or find the thing suddenly slding along backwards across a roundabout or owt :wink:

Some great recommendations there, Lexus LS400, I very nearly bought one of these but alas the vendor was the biggest cock I've ever met thus I am Lexusless, Get an early one and you'll think you are in something nearly new. 4.0 V8 might be a little off-putting for some though.Volvo 740-Very soft and as previously mentioned those seats are sublime-easily the most comfortable I've ever tried. Can guzzle fuel though.

Why not go old school and get a Rover P6?

I had one, easily the best ride comfort I've tried by a cuntree mile, might be a bit old and use more fuel than you are used to.My money would be on a Mercedes, something from 1980s or early 1990s, I have a 190e 2.6 and the ride is superb but you can get these with 1.8 and 2.0 engines, they're not massive and they are really well screwed together. The 2.6 engine is a (juicy) peach but if you want something that a bit more economical then a 2.0 190 answers alot of your criteria. Or you could go bigger and get a w124 Merc.

Guest greenvanman

Lexus LS400, I very nearly bought one of these but alas the vendor was the biggest cock I've ever met thus I am Lexusless, Get an early one and you'll think you are in something nearly new. 4.0 V8 might be a little off-putting for some though.

A mate of mine had one of those briefly, it was quite nice but it did 14mpg round town...

A mate of mine had one of those briefly, it was quite nice but it did 14mpg round town...

Really? I thought they'd be not that horrific being a modern Jap design that will probably spend all of its life gently wafting its incontinent 78-year old owner along in sublime luxury.I had a 1991 Honda Legend 3.2 and that was nice, not too harsh as it was their cruise-o-matic wafter and was actually alright on the fuel-miles better than the BMW 525i that replaced it.