Tickman's stuff. VAG shite

Tickman

• Tickman changed the title to Tickman's stuff. Back in an Alfa

Re: the flashing odometer.

It's the electric windows. They go down perfectly fine but only go up an inch at a time. Actually, the rear windows behave themselves fine, it's just the fronts.

I visited @tul66 a wee while ago and we plugged it into his diagnostics. We thought it may just need reset, but it's the anti-trap sensors in the windows showing false positives. I just lived with it after deeming it in "fuck that" territory. Sorry!

EDIT: To add more. When I bought it, there was mention made of a replacement window controller, and it perhaps requiring a PROXI alignment (that's a process in the diagnostics which basically tells all the modules to play nicely with each other). However, when attempting that at tul's house it wouldn't take. This flagged up the anti-trap sensors. Because of course it's a CANBUS car that doesn't simply have window switches, but a whole ECU control module that runs the windows! It's apparently in the driver's door window switch panel. I don't think I've ever seen a 147 that doesn't have a flashing odometer, as they flash for absolutely anything the ECU isn't happy about, however minor.

Bloody moderns!

Have you tried manually resetting the anti trap? 

Wind window all the way up, then hold switch for about ten seconds. Then wind window down and hold switch in down position for ten seconds. 

Don't mean to be Captain Obvious, but it might be worth a go. 

4 hours ago, sporty-shite said:

Have you tried manually resetting the anti trap? 

Wind window all the way up, then hold switch for about ten seconds. Then wind window down and hold switch in down position for ten seconds. 

Don't mean to be Captain Obvious, but it might be worth a go. 

2 hours ago, Tickman said:

I shall try at some point and update with it didn't work 😂

Yeah, didn't work when I tried that...

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

I've already enquired about whether V5s come through in under 24 hours these days.

He has another advert on Facebook where he states "Very rev happy 1.8 twin cam engine same as the mazda mx5. Car shocks alot of people."

How many people has he shocked with it between buying it yesterday and listing it today?

Yes I'm fully aware that he has listed it for a good mark up and disclosed none of the issues which were in the original advert.

Only issue I have is the 'a winter project' bullshit I was fed. If he had said he was going to sell it again I wouldn't have been bothered but in reality it is his car now and the phrase buyer beware is apt.

Took the Alfa for a look over.

PXL_20211120_093245517.thumb.jpg.4066adb446b2b7feaed886703105e7d1.jpg

First to check was the rear suspension, my initial thought was the rear shock was gone.

The car was given a good shake and it showed the shock was fucked.

Important things like setting the time on the clock were done and a general look over were carried out.

Some bits underneath were given a quick blast of Dynax S50 and a list was made of parts.

Some searching later and rear shocks and the bolts that will likely snap have been ordered.

Also a thermostat has been ordered as well.

Tune in for massive frustration next time when battle will take place.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2021 at 1:30 PM, DodgyBastard said:

What the boys number I'm gonna put it on some keys to drop between here and Manchester so he keeps getting phone calls about "GSR Garage Key"

• 3 weeks later...

Today was Alfa day as the parts have been here a while so up to the workshop and I got started. PXL_20211217_153545313.thumb.jpg.d569a701a41937e5ba24bf6cd8170ebb.jpg

Starting point. The back left is the main issue so this was my target. I had read up and the bolts can seize in the hub and create fun*

About 30 minutes each bolt freeing off and removing. Look how innocent this bastard looks. 

PXL_20211217_135626521.thumb.jpg.af579d1223fa6c5d04ed7f0029d929bd.jpg

Some of the detritus after removal. 

PXL_20211217_135633838.thumb.jpg.648def697a925b668031c0e508b877c8.jpg

Success. 

PXL_20211217_142245757_MP.thumb.jpg.27b2a87421a9d845bb478151b44db017.jpg

Two hours to just get the strut out!

Then spring swapped over to the new damper and thrown back together. PXL_20211217_153545313.thumb.jpg.d569a701a41937e5ba24bf6cd8170ebb.jpg

Of course a new drop link was required but I had ordered it with the rest of the stuff. 

I have the other side to do but not today!

Then on to sort the not getting up to temperature. Pulled apart and this out. 

PXL_20211217_164250710.thumb.jpg.bed0754544df494f9e163623d89ec8f2.jpg

I couldn't see daylight through it so was a little concerned it wasn't the issue. 

Only a little bit of mess. 

PXL_20211217_164252566.thumb.jpg.48aff5225f9f53b1b8f7c0d9d977244b.jpg

Then I went home. 

PXL_20211217_172936676.thumb.jpg.68d4d8062b93495ba82701c7d6b7ecd7.jpg

Sitting at 90 while moving. 

Thank fuck for that. 

• Tickman changed the title to Tickman's stuff. Quality, reliability and refinement.

Some things have changed. The C1 is plodding along doing a round trip commute of 30 miles and has given this as fuel consumption.

Screenshot_20220130-105046.thumb.png.83cfc2332aa12a68b8c41000fffe7fff.png

Happy with that.

This was the Alfa's job so that was taking up space without a job to do. That is now with @gm and hopefully behaving. 

Normal people would see selling a car that is surplus as the end of it however in reality it is an opportunity for something else. 

I Had previously asked @sdkrc if the Discovery 2 he bought off @Jimbob McGregor last year was available and was told no. A few months later I got a message from Sam asking if I was interested in it for a very reasonable price.

A Discovery 2 for less than should be possible, what could possibly go wrong!

A Day was arranged to meet @gmin Glasgow while investigating the running issues with the very large Galaxie. @jaypee and @320touring were also going to be there so it should be a good day.

The day went well and I arrived in the Alfa and left in the new luxurious vehicle. It did its job at getting me home which was a bonus.

issues were one functioning brake light and a back door that when closed doesn't meet the seal at the top. There will of course be many more issues along the way, mainly because it is a Land Rover.

picture to prove the camera does lie, it is also too big to fit in the picture.

PXL_20220129_165640228.thumb.jpg.1bfd65478cdaaad720441212ef2c8dcc.jpg

It is an auto with an ecu controlled box which I think may benefit from a fluid change and possibly other things.

It handled the country roads well considering I was throwing it around bends at challenging speeds and it is quite comfortable.

Today I adjusted the rear door so it hopefully meets the seal a bit now. 

All the necessary bulbs were changed.

It is a little worn but overall I'm very impressed with it. I may be less impressed with it at MOT time but I have months of MOT so that can be ignored easily.

Thanks Sam for a very easy purchase.

This makes 3 cars on the extended fleet that have come for Weardale!