Tickman's stuff. MOT time rolls around.

Tickman

So after yesterdays tinkering I had to get back to the workshop without a car so off to the bus stop.

The bus arrived about 6 minutes late but the driver was making up time all the way so I arrived early in Forfar.

I strolled to the shop and collected my bearing.

post-17457-0-59236900-1537796235_thumb.jpg

Some time later it was in and I needed to attend to the other bits needed on the rear arm.

There is a plastic shield that stops the abs sensor connection getting everything thrown at it as expected the screws that hold this on had to be removed by force. I ground off the rest of the screws and drilled and tapped the arms.

post-17457-0-81156700-1537796246_thumb.jpg

Some time later with the help of ratchet straps and spring compressors I was here.

post-17457-0-54153500-1537796257_thumb.jpg

Connecting back up all the bits I had to remove. You can see I spent a little time cleaning up the arm and gave it some paint too.

post-17457-0-48179600-1537796272_thumb.jpg

The last bit needed reconnecting was a brake line support which I had cut through as I wasn't going to bleed the brakes yet again so this got a bit of weld on it.

post-17457-0-86122100-1537796280_thumb.jpg

Then it was test drive time and I had the ABS light on straight away so back up in the air and the connector wasn't fully home and I needed some water pump pliers to actually get it seated properly.

That done I went home and it is parked outside. Clean up can wait!

Well after my successful* spannering session I discovered that somehow I had fucked up fitting the bearing and last night on the 160 mile round trip for food with some like minded individuals it decided to become worse than the one I had replaced.

I think (know) I didn't quite get the tightening up bit correct so I had over tightened it.

So I will just count the previous attempt as a practice!

So at 12:30 this morning before I went to bed I ordered a bearing from ECP and collected it this morning.

Into the workshop and I had the arm off and the old bearing stripped within the hour.

Next was to get the new bearing pushed in and the place that did it last time couldn't do it today so I had to carry what became by the time I got there the heaviest piece of car 20 minutes to another garage that was likely to help.

Half hour wait where I went and had a great bacon roll and £10 later and it was fitted.

Carried the bloody thing back in the rain and it took about an hour and a half to refit and adjust the handbrake back up.

Test drive and it is as it should be (for now at least)

Lessons learnt are:

Read the instructions properly and then check again.

Buy a bloody press so I don't have to carry stuff to other places.

Buy another car that works and leave it at the workshop (or fix something that is already there)

It is getting a good run this weekend with a trip to Manchester with a full complement of people and dogs so if I hate it by Sunday night it will be for sale!

In Meg's Clio news after the neighbour crashed into it and the quote of £815 was submitted it has been written off.

Settlement figure of £650, get to keep it and it gets a U category against it.

Last night I picked up two headlights and a grill from someone on Facebook that Split_pin had pointed me in the direction of so fixing time should be next week hopefully.

It is getting a good run this weekend with a trip to Manchester with a full complement of people and dogs so if I hate it by Sunday night it will be for sale!

It did the 600 miles with no bother so it can hopefully work its way into my good books and stay put for a while

It did the 600 miles with no bother so it can hopefully work its way into my good books and stay put for a while

Glad to hear it - as I screamed dibs on this and have just collected the BMW estate - so need a tiny bit of breathing space before I pry this from your fingers fella  :-D

Of course - I'll still have a fucked knee and not be able to drive manual properly for awhile yet..... 

Good to know it clocked up a decent run without causing embarrassment - you cleaned it inside yet?  ;-)

So after next door's Audi attacked Meg's car I got the quote and sent all the details to the insurance.

They came back with the obvious decision that it was uneconomical to repair.

They sent a cheque and that was banked.

We kept the car and I set about getting the bits needed.

As soon as it had happened Split_pin had sent me a link to some headlights on Facebook. when it was settled I contacted the seller and took the lights and a grill from him for £35 for the lot!

I to it to the workshop and removed the tape holding the driver's side light in, removed two screws and pulled the bumper forward to enable removal of the grill.

post-17457-0-93497700-1538751898_thumb.jpg

I did a bit of cleaning up of the area and fitted the new* headlight.

post-17457-0-42777800-1538751912_thumb.jpg

I fitted the passenger's side one also. The lights were very good but needed a little polish.

post-17457-0-01042200-1538751925_thumb.jpg

With this.

post-17457-0-84033900-1538751934_thumb.jpg

This was state of play at the end of polishing.

post-17457-0-25925000-1538751943_thumb.jpg

Bumper back in place.

post-17457-0-35992300-1538751956_thumb.jpg

This is the bit that was the worst but has polished up well.

post-17457-0-16514000-1538751969_thumb.jpg

That should do her.

Since the last fast Clio left I have been on the look out for something suitable for use as a track car.

The main thing that hampered a successful outcome was budget. 

I was looking in the hopeless case end of the market which translates as about £500!

Gumtree, facebook and ebay were kept an eye on. 

Eventually something suitable (within budget) came up so I pestered the local resident expert and arranged to have a look.

Main points of note were it was an MOT failure.

I went and had a look and took it round the block. It had a slight* knock from the engine but it could have been something simple.

It wasn't

post-17457-0-33277700-1539016132_thumb.jpg

Oh look a piggy back ride.

post-17457-0-67653000-1539016141_thumb.jpg

Finally at the destination.

post-17457-0-84627900-1539016149_thumb.jpg

I had viewed it with an open mind and offered what I knew I could get out of it if I had to break it.

On with plan A

This took quite a bit of time.

post-17457-0-82896300-1539016160_thumb.jpg

This didn't.

post-17457-0-48796400-1539016169_thumb.jpg

post-17457-0-89165300-1539016179_thumb.jpg

Then some access to get to the engine bits.

post-17457-0-78721700-1539016190_thumb.jpg

Most helpful spanner of the day.

post-17457-0-97994400-1539016207_thumb.jpg

End of play today.

post-17457-0-27462000-1539016218_thumb.jpg

So far the roof is taken and some panels left today.

Any extra funds from the breaking will be rolled into the next wise* decision.

What actually happened to the engine? Other than dumping its coolant?

Made a little noise at time of purchase, this was an omen and fully understood what might happen.

Little noise sent out a party invite to all his friends, it went viral and some big noises gatecrashed the party.

Party got out of hand and by the time the parents came home the house had been trashed.

Something like that.

Like - not for the engine detonation - but description and then the impressively speedy parting out that is ongoing....... I've shied away from them myself because of the horror stories..... but thinking about it - this is the only one I know of that has actually gone in spectacular fashion. 

Are they actually any good? Asking for a friend like.....

Like - not for the engine detonation - but description and then the impressively speedy parting out that is ongoing....... I've shied away from them myself because of the horror stories..... but thinking about it - this is the only one I know of that has actually gone in spectacular fashion. 

Are they actually any good? Asking for a friend like.....

Soooo....

You're looking for an MR2, like this one, but with a good engine? 

Domes house of small fast Toyotas currently has just such a beast in stock-we're looking to shift on the black 52 plate one we have shortly as the red one will be getting the 2zz engine. See my thread for more details....

And yes, they are very good and underated wee cars. Like an MX-5 without the rust.

...And yes, they are very good and underated wee cars. Like an MX-5 without the rust.

Taking this one apart has proved how little rust is on the vehicle.

Wings, bumpers and quarters just bolt on.

There are a LOT of fixings. 

I'm unqualified to give a report on how it drives but being a passenger in Domes at Knockhill wasn't the worst or most terrifying place to be.