Tickman's stuff. VAG shite

Tickman

After doing side A it was time to turn the record over and play side B.

I decided to take some quality* pictures this time!

Wheel off, caliper suspended from my trusty bungy cord which took 10 minutes to find even though I had used it the day before. The super useful Aldi air gun can be seen waiting on the track rod end nut for the compressor to charge, the blow torch that was used is just out of shot. Both sides these were very stubborn!

post-17457-0-03008200-1481884868_thumb.jpg

Strut top cleaned and marked with cheap copy version of a sharpie from Home Bargains (would recommend) this helped me with my static alignment of the front suspension!

post-17457-0-34991600-1481884874_thumb.jpg

Something missing here, wonder where it is?

post-17457-0-80700000-1481884880_thumb.jpg

Found it, this side was no lighter than the other side but I was at least expecting it.

I was well impressed with the spring compressors from Screwfix, they never looked like they were at risk of moving while being tightened/loosened. Also the air gun did most of the work on these as well.

post-17457-0-43826300-1481884887_thumb.jpg

Happily with it all back together and another new track rod end fitted and adjusted it was time to tidy up and go home. 

Volvo now drives much happier. 

With everything on this side moving as it should I now need to get the caliper mount for the drivers side ordered and fitted when it arrives, then sort out the bit of rot under the battery then.......

• 4 weeks later...

The Volvo has been back in for some more love because sod and his law have been hard at work.

The new shock fitted decided to leak quicker than the Titanic so they were changed again, I am getting quite quick at this now!

I have a noisy diff so I then started the car up to turn it round and the exhaust was blowing from the centre section :(

I topped up the diff but it only took a tiny amount so that is not going to cure anything!

While under it I discovered the rear strap that goes round the back box had rotted out putting more strain on the centre section creating the blow. A new strap will be going on tomorrow for the sum of £7.68. 

While out for a bit of food with friends before Christmas I was asked to recommend an MOT place for their daughter to get her 57 plate Punto tested, this led to me taking it yesterday and ending up with a fail for a broken spring and some minor bits sorted at the time of test.

Today involved swapping the spring and drop link out (use of grinder was required for the drop link) which resulted in a fresh certificate for the next 12 months. not bad for £96 including the test fee.

In other fantastic Volvo news I bought one of those UV dye kits off ebay and added the contents to the coolant system.

I can throughly recommend the dye kit, unfortunately I cannot recommend the Volvo head gasket.

At least I now know where the magic coolant is disappearing from :(

Good fred this; Toledos and their brethren are oft unappreciated wee cars. Interested to see what the Moggie is like underneath.

The underneath of the Minor is basically covered in 1/4 of an inch of grease and oil, the original owner obviously wasn't much of a clean freak but it has saved most of the original metal so I thank him for that.

Today was sorting out the 940 Exhaust. 

The strap from round the back box had rusted through so I had to secure it in place with some copper wire I had (all part of the rewire of the workshop) while I got another strap. 

Less than £8 at ECP and new strap fitted. I also sorted out the blow at the back of the cat in the system with a few spots of weld.

I would have done none of this without this as it was so cold!

post-17457-0-92411900-1484228442_thumb.jpg

Now just need to get a decent work light as my Lidl special finally died :(

While teaching Chuck to drive I have had quite a few L plates decide they have had enough, they have been the magnetic ones but due to the shape of the Toledo they do not stay on the front, this one should for now:

post-17457-0-41620800-1484754186_thumb.jpg

Technically it should be removed when driven by anyone else but that will not be happening.

I have been sorting out my stock of batteries which have died on me and am trying to revive some of them so I went to Lidl and bought another one of there £13 chargers and set to it:

post-17457-0-99338000-1484754208_thumb.jpg

So far I have two that are below the minimum voltage to charge so I will piggy back them when I have the rest sorted:

post-17457-0-75701400-1484754224_thumb.jpg

While teaching Chuck last week we had someone drive across our path doing at least 30 where we had the priority so I decided to get the other dash cam fitted, I have been using a power bank to run it but it was never going to be a long term solution so today I dug out some scrap and fitted this:

post-17457-0-07799400-1484754239_thumb.jpg

It is a little two port USB socket I got from ebay.

I have room to add other things on the panel when the need arises so now the camera comes on automatically with the ignition.

Got my indicators sorted, tried the auto electricians again and got served by someone who actually did their job.

Left with a Durite relay part number 0-744-12 added the earth to number 31, solid green to 49 and green with a strip to 49a and the job is done :)

On a high created by the success of getting and fitting the correct relay for the Toledo today I decided to get the cloud to go along with the silver lining.

A little bit of background first, I have too many projects and am terminally lazy so when GM put his MX5 up for sale when it failed its MOT I decided it would be worth a look as everyone needs a red two seat convertible in their life, but hang on a second I have the Reliant SS1  :?

After confirming that I am a complete knob I got in touch with with GM and went and had a look. GM should be a salesman as we went out to play in his new black MX5 (as the red one had failed its MOT) for at least an hour (probably longer) during this time I was encouraged to have fun which I certainly did.

After as quick look over the red one I bought it there and then  :?

A train was booked for the following day and I turned up, sorted stuff out and headed home with a stop for fuel:

post-17457-0-90784100-1484837829_thumb.jpg

I took it steady battered it all the way back to the workshop in Forfar and parked it up:

post-17457-0-21344200-1484837803_thumb.jpg

After this I did nothing to it at all while I sorted out the road legal cars I have, that is until today.

So I got the car up in the air and started with the drivers side rear sill which had been plated for a previous MOT but failed the most recent one, lets see what we have here then:

post-17457-0-11267200-1484837346_thumb.jpg

That doesn't look too bad, lets have a closer look:

Oh!

post-17457-0-08371800-1484837338_thumb.jpg

Well that is quite a pile of scrap left on the floor.

post-17457-0-26971900-1484837329_thumb.jpg

It is exactly as I expected, there is some more to come out before stuff goes back in and I will see if I can make a neat job of it. I actually quite enjoy the welding stuff so I will see how it goes and keep you updated if anyone cares!

Well that is all for this week on cars, more next week hopefully when the welder comes out to play.

I am such an idiot!

nice to see little AVO again, I wondered if you had forgotten about her :)

that sill isn't pretty, but I'm sure you will do a proper job and have an mot in no time. nice to see the line of trackday stickers are still there on the windscreen, that is about a years worth.

I've not done much with the black one yet, it's needing brake lines fitted and some fancy pads before the first trackday at the end of feb, looking forward to it already.

let me know if you are needing any parts, I've got a bit of a stash in the garage.

Oooh, your workshop is only in Forfar, eh?

:D

Indeed it is, for some reason having loads of space seemed to turn into a challenge to fill it, a challenge I have excelled at!

nice to see little AVO again, I wondered if you had forgotten about her :)

that sill isn't pretty, but I'm sure you will do a proper job and have an mot in no time. nice to see the line of trackday stickers are still there on the windscreen, that is about a years worth.

I've not done much with the black one yet, it's needing brake lines fitted and some fancy pads before the first trackday at the end of feb, looking forward to it already.

let me know if you are needing any parts, I've got a bit of a stash in the garage.

Not forgotten at all, I told myself not to touch it before I had sorted out the two daily's. Thr sill is fine really, some of the patch was difficult to remove, most of it wasn't!

Is it another Saturday trackday you are doing? May have to look into that when I am further down the line. 

if you need a bit of a mojo boost, feel free to come down and have another go on the black one - so much fun

I am just going to plod on no deadline, just get it right, if I need.....

cool. trackday is sat 26th feb, a mate has booked it but his mx5 is in bits waiting for turbo goodies to arrive so the plan is to use mine and spilt the costs. you will be most welcome to come along and jump in as a passenger with either of us, maybe even sign on as an extra driver and do a few laps if you are feeling dangerous :)

the February date has been postponed twice due to omgsnowkaos in recent years so fingers crossed for a mild period. hats and gloves on, roof down, it's the only way !

While teaching Chuck to drive I have had quite a few L plates decide they have had enough, they have been the magnetic ones but due to the shape of the Toledo they do not stay on the front, this one should for now:

attachicon.gifIMG_20170118_1024295791.jpg

Technically it should be removed when driven by anyone else but that will not be happening.

My wife and I disagree with each other here.

She believes it is a banning offence (12 instant points) to drive with L plates when you have a full licence, and I believe that it is irrelevant, because whilst you must (should) have the L plates if you are on a provisional, it becomes a mere graphic if you have a full licence.  The worst that might happen is that people treat you with more respect.

My wife and I disagree with each other here.

She believes it is a banning offence (12 instant points) to drive with L plates when you have a full licence, and I believe that it is irrelevant, because whilst you must (should) have the L plates if you are on a provisional, it becomes a mere graphic if you have a full licence.  The worst that might happen is that people treat you with more respect.

It is (or was at least) an offence to display L plates while not being driven by a driver with a provisional licence, the only exception being a qualified driving instructor. 

Also the last thing to happen is getting more respect, it used to amaze me the grief other drivers would give the car with L plates on no matter how it was being driven. (I was a driving instructor in the late 90's.)

cool. trackday is sat 26th feb, a mate has booked it but his mx5 is in bits waiting for turbo goodies to arrive so the plan is to use mine and spilt the costs. you will be most welcome to come along and jump in as a passenger with either of us, maybe even sign on as an extra driver and do a few laps if you are feeling dangerous :)

the February date has been postponed twice due to omgsnowkaos in recent years so fingers crossed for a mild period. hats and gloves on, roof down, it's the only way !

I would love to come along depending on what nonsense is going on round here allowing! I would only know nearer the time though.

Today the Toledo received the nylon insert to the top bush of the steering column and the indicators now cancel properly every time and there is less rattling when doing 60/70  :)

Next up a bit of work on the MX5.

I did a but more cutting to to the rear sill end and ended up with this:

post-17457-0-95337700-1485190893_thumb.jpg

I bent up some metal and started piecing stuff back together.

Firstly the inner sill:

post-17457-0-61058500-1485190900_thumb.jpg

Once that was welded in I added a couple more bits of metal to build up the strength where it has rusted out, slowly piecing it back together.

post-17457-0-98888300-1485190905_thumb.jpg

A bit more to do later in the week with this bit and then move onto the next bit!

Grand thread this, I love some pics of a bit of the old metal fabrication skills!

I was going to take some yesterday and when I realised I was on 13% (my camera phone, not me) I decided to just get on with it.

This is the first time I have done anything this complicated, there are 50 million pieces meeting in this area and most are knackered...

I am finding it very therapeutic.

Just had Parts for Volvo on the phone regarding the shocks that were fitted and then failed, Bilstein have accepted the warranty return but no explanation, at least I got a full refund and know not to buy them in future.

That's quite a concern, as I was just about to press the button on 4 Bilsteins. We're they old new stock? Or are billy's yet another big brand bought for their name to sell us cheap tat at inflated prices?

Have you fitted non standard wheels to the Toledo. I only ask cos I saw a blue Toledo diving into the rear entry of the Kingsway retail park the other day. Was it you

Yes it has black steels from an MGF on it. It was almost certainly me. If you get a chance say hello.

That's quite a concern, as I was just about to press the button on 4 Bilsteins. We're they old new stock? Or are billy's yet another big brand bought for their name to sell us cheap tat at inflated prices?

I was talking to the MOT tester when I took the Punto in for test and told him the saga and he said he would only fit Monroe, I assume years of work in a garage steers you towards certain parts!

Edit, they were new and no idea why the failure?

I have only managed about 3-4 hours on this since and as Iain asked so nicely I thought I would take a few more pictures, I basically did a lot of prep work and stuck a few bits in.

Firstly always start with a clean and clear work bench

post-17457-0-58060900-1485900902_thumb.jpg

Also make sure the area around your work bench is clear.

post-17457-0-00431800-1485900906_thumb.jpg

OK so tidy up you messy bugger......

post-17457-0-57083600-1485900911_thumb.jpg

Much better, the bottom of the inner arch where it meets the sill and outer wing was well on the way to disappearing so I cut it out, I couldn't take a picture of it as after I cut it off there was nothing there!

I got some card and using all the skill guesswork I could find I came up with a rectangle, Wow!

Boosted by this success I made a rectangle out of metal!

post-17457-0-30126700-1485900917_thumb.jpg

I then put the metal in the quality* metal folder.... 

post-17457-0-31482300-1485900923_thumb.jpg

....and folded it. (the folder is not bad and is loads better than battering it over the jaws of the vice)

post-17457-0-05553900-1485900930_thumb.jpg

I then folded the other end and tried to get the curve and twist in it, I partly succeded

post-17457-0-43447800-1485900937_thumb.jpg

I did stick that bit in but didn't get any pictures as I was fed up with trying to get my head between the rear disc and the wheel arch. I actually got the welding helmet stuck in the 'gap' a few times.

Time to move on to making the sill piece, there are still other bits to do but I wanted a break from little jobs so I got a flat sheet and bent up the seam which meets the inner sill and strengtheners at the bottom. Then the end of the sill to wheel arch bend was folded up

post-17457-0-01720500-1485900942_thumb.jpg

Then the shrinker was used to make it roughly the correct shape, luckily the bench has wheels so the distance from the bench to the car was small as it was back and forward many times to get the shape.

post-17457-0-49527500-1485900945_thumb.jpg

That is where the day ended having made this.

post-17457-0-96509300-1485900948_thumb.jpg

Until next time, hopefully later this week when it can go on the car.