1960’s US ‘Life’ magazine adverts for non US cars, now with US stuff added

fordpoplier

I took my kids to their first ‘flea market’ last weekend up in Connecticut and amongst the broken Ikea chairs I found a box of late 50s through late 60s ‘Life’ magazines going for buttons.  Some were intact but many were just loose pages and it was starting to rain so they were agreeable to a less than buttons offer.  I bought them mostly for the beautiful advertising of domestic US cars of the day but I found a few interesting adverts for the fledgling foreign muck that would eventually bring Detroit to its’ knees (apart from Peugeot of course).

I’ll scan the US stuff when I get time but for now, I thought these adverts for ‘imports’ of that era might be of interest.

DAT1_zpsbb3ptl8w.jpg

TOY4_zpsy8ghq4r4.jpgTOY2_zpslzfy7om7.jpgTOY3_zpsorecfqk3.jpgTOY1_zpsepknjm41.jpgREN1_zpsjbx0bbcq.jpgDKW2_zps9akb4u8x.jpgDKW1_zpskportzlm.jpgCORT1_zpsezk6thip.jpgVOL2_zpsiqaqvkve.jpgVOL1_zpsp5rtmbdw.jpgTRI3_zpsdjarawfw.jpgTRI2_zpstkpjpkdg.jpgTRI1_zpsbk2tqf86.jpgVES1_zpsnmbhdpml.jpgHON2_zpszf6lfohc.jpgHON1_zpszcxisykk.jpg

Luckily for Mr Tuttle, the states has never had anything the shape of a 20p coin.

PUG1_zpsa0gc7uyk.jpg

And by contrast to the to those mostly grim B & W 3rd world adverts above, have a picture of the glamo(u)r that a set of native wheels could give you in the same period.

GLAM_zpsemmsiudz.jpg

And a couple of Random ones.REC1_zpstf1js3iw.jpgESSO_zpsluhrba0p.jpg

All the best, Ian.

I'll take the '68 Ford please..........

Thanks for posting, reminds me I have never tried a Honda 50 / 70 / 90.

I bought a 'tuned' C70 years ago, it's leg shields were covered in leopard skin print fablon.

I managed to get it up to just over 65mph slipstreaming a Bedford Rascal, then it stopped doing 65 after making a munching noise and making smoke.

Had the leg shields been covered in wood grain I'm sure all would have been well.

Whereas with septic domestic offerings, you had the choice between a big RWD V8 auto, a big RWD V8 auto, a big RWD V8 auto, a big RWD V8 auto, a big RWD V8 auto, and a big RWD V8 auto, in Europe you could chose between a big RWD V8 auto, a smaller RWD L4 or L6 auto, or manual, a FWD L4, FWD L3 2T, L2 2T, rear engine L4, flat 4, flat twin, twin, mid engine L4, V6, V8, V12 etc. etc. During the cold war, even the commies had more choice than the yanks.