Renault Laguna, Y reg. But why, Reg?

scaryoldcortina

I still own a Focus, yesterday's persistant "please sell me the focus I need it" has turned into today's "Soz mate I bought a mondeo from someone at work"

This means I have two cars and need only one so...

Harry-Hill-Fight-AP-WDC5.jpg

In the red corner, you all know and love* it, Y reg (please stop asking me why, reg) the troublesome Renault.

20151127_151816.jpg

Stands me at about £300 in repairs, has covered 250 miles in 3 months and has been broken more days than working, costs £20pm to tax and does around 30mpg. Plus points - nice to drive and is comfy, provides epic lols on the internet. Minus points - may break at any moment.

In the blue corner, the contender, 2003 1.6 Focus CL estate. Mingebag spec so no aircon, remote locking or toys, keep fit windows in the back. Seems clean and tidy and appears to have no outstanding issues beyond the snapped spring that caused its previous owner to rush out and buy a brand new Seat something or other.

20160131_144233.jpg

Bought last sunday, cost £16 to repair, done 30 miles since friday and seems to do about 35mpg so far. Tax is £15pm. Plus points - it hasn't broken yet, but its a 12 year old Ford with no service history. Minus points - it's a Focus CL and somewhat boring to drive.

I'm going to run both until the end of the month, choose a winner and raffle the spare car.

PLACE BETS NOW!

PLACE BETS NOW!

My crystal ball says...

Now the Laguna knows its at risk, it'll behave perfectly fine. It'll win as its more comfy, more toys and looks nicer - so the Focarse will go. The Laguna will then celebrate this by loosing all its gears and requiring a new gearbox.

My crystal ball says...

Now the Laguna knows its at risk, it'll behave perfectly fine. It'll win as its more comfy, more toys and looks nicer - so the Focarse will go. The Laguna will then celebrate this by loosing all its gears and requiring a new gearbox.

With skills like that, you need to be in a tent on Blackpool sea front.

MYSTIC SiC WILL PREDICT YOUR LIFE.

I want to see the Laguna continue to pit its wits against an evenly-matched nemesis, I.e someone with a fully equipped workshop and professional-level vehicle electronics diagnostic skills, I reckon very few Lagunas find themselves in this situation and I wanna see the SHOWDOWN!!!!!!!

******* ODE TO A LAGUNA  ************

You keep me running round and round,
Well that's alright with me,
Up and down, I've put new batteries
In the bloody key.
That's alright with me,
Yeah, that's alright with me,
Well, it feels alight to me,
Yeah, it looks alright to me.

And, I'm so French, I'm so Frenchl,
You fix me with that fucking wrench.
I won't start, I won't start,
Wrap me round your finger, you ungrateful fart.

Here we go........

Nothing, nothing, nothing's gonna
Step in my way.
Wiring diagrams?
No more volts down there.
Things fall into place,
You got the joke, fall into place.

Well I'm so tall, I'm so tall,
You raise me and then you let me fall.
And I'm so small, I'm so small,
Wrap me round your finger, seen before.

Here we go........

Up and down, I'm up the wall,
I'm up the bloody tree.
Hiding from Laguna,
No more sense in here.
"Why am I up the tree?" it says,
"Why won't you bloody run?" I'm saying.

Well I'm so tall, I'm so tall,
You raise me and then you let me fall.
And I'm so small, I'm so small,
Wrap me round your weighbridge, seen before.

Well, I drove the Focus a bit this afternoon, my daughter had it all day while I did a spring and a droplink on her fabia. Why are VAG cars such a PITA to do springs on? The focus took about an hour, I swapped a strut on the renault in less time than that. Fabia is a hub stripping slog because the driveshaft hits the subframe.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I like the Ford. Wierd, I know! Can't put my finger on it but it feels more frantic and less relaxed, even though I was only going to the metrocentre at peak time so didn't get to go fast. By the time I got there I felt like I'd driven the length of the M1. The Lag is superb at that stuff, it just wafts along not being bothered and I arrive relaxed, assuming of course that I arrive at all.

Having said that, it's new to me and I get used to stuff fast. I used the Zetec'd MK2 cortina as a daily for years and relaxed is the last thing you could say about that.

Also, when I stopped the Focus I put my finger into the lighter socket instead of reaching for the key.

Not sure if you know this and may be teaching on how to suck eggs, but did you know as a garage (independent repair agent) you have a right, under EU law, to access Renault technical info? I.e. wiring diagrams, fault finding, part lists/diagrams, service manuals, etc, etc.

Renaults website for this is: http://infotech.renault.com/fo/accueil.action

It's not as expensive as you imagine. Certainly if you need it to help trouble-shoot a difficult job and can build it into the cost.

Not quite sure what would stop someone from just going through and downloading everything from there in one hit! I'm no lawyer, but I can't see anything in the T&C's stopping someone?

Thought I'd say, as I really don't know how widely known this is and I don't often hear people mentioning it.

Hi , liking the thread , does this European law apply to all makes regarding their techy info ? Cheers

The 1.9dci isn't that bad if it gets looked after. The trouble is extended service schedules and owners with no idea. The main reason for a dead dci is turbo related. Most of the ones I have had dealings with have eaten turbo's usually due to blocked oilways after not being serviced. They also have trouble with high pressure pumps like most other common rail cars. The 6 speed box is also weak and then you get all the normal Laguna electrics. They can do high miles but they must be looked after right from new with the correct oil every 6k rather than the 18k Renault hoped they would make. The 1.5dci was slightly better on the engine but the pump was far worse and causes the injectors to fail as well so is a very expensive fix when it goes tits up. Once they start playing up then they will just keep being a money pit of over 20 of the buggers I had over a 4 year period a couple of years ago not one of them comes up as still taxed and on the road.

Here's the situation as of now.

Laguna is being reliable, which is why I've had nothing to say about it. This could be because I fixed all the problems or it could be because of the Focus. I'm using the Lag all the time, and leaving the Focus parked outside the house. My Mrs wants to keep the focus because it's easy to get in and out of and has plenty of wheelchair space in the back. Looks like I might be keeping them both, at least for a while.

Today was a landmark day. Not only did I have to jumpstart the bloody focus because it sat so long outside the house the battery went flat, but I drove my 1000th mile in the Laguna. I think it's staying.

I also think that's its cue to go wrong again. It did remind me the other day that it's still french - it was sunny so it opened the sunroof for me even though I didn't ask it to.

I got in mine the other day. It centrally-unlocked off the keycard OK but when i sat down and tried to start it all the electrics were completely dead! In the absence of a better idea I parped the horn and suddenly the red light in the door jamb came back on. I took the card out and put it back in and it started straight up. 8)

I got in mine the other day. It centrally-unlocked off the keycard OK but when i sat down and tried to start it all the electrics were completely dead! In the absence of a better idea I parped the horn and suddenly the red light in the door jamb came back on. I took the card out and put it back in and it started straight up. 8)

I've had this in renaults, I turn the lights on and off t wake them up

Multiplex network went to sleep when locked, but the wake up command wasn't received/transmitted/etc when unlocked? Pressing the horn then probably woke up the network.

In other news, I tried to buy a Laguna II, but had someone spend too long time wasting on not buying the Scenic - so missed out on the auction end :|

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/link/?nav=item.view&id=141908192037&alt=web