Renault Laguna, Y reg. But why, Reg?

scaryoldcortina

DSCF3968.jpg

It's a Picoscope. I think it's model 3223, I've had it several years now. It's a really useful but cumbersome bit of kit because you need a laptop as well, I find most of the time I don't need its advanced features, fast sample time or storage function I just need to see if there is a waveform at all on (for example) ABS wheel sensors so I just bought this

20160405_152404.jpg

Sealey PowerScope - it's the usual power and earth detect/supply powerprobe with a voltmeter, ohmmeter and basic scope built in. It autoranges, gives frequency and duty as well as max and min volts and can manage up to 30v. So far it's been pretty good, and seems well built with thick cables and nice chunky rubber plugs. Just over a hundred quid, well worth it IMO. Another nice touch, the point of the tool unplugs from the unit on a standard banana connector so you can attach a flylead with a croc clip or backprobe instead of holding it all the time.

Today's news - the horn fixed itself! I was sitting in a queue and leaned on the steering wheel, there was a loud blast of horn which I assumed was someone else honking at me. Youngun pointed out I was pressing the horn :roll:

Also, no FTP since crank sensor change. Car starts first time every time now, assuming you remember to waggle the gearstick. Speaking of that, I noticed that the SERV light comes on when you select first from standstill. Not every time, but it's getting more frequent along with the need to stir the stick when starting. I'll probably change the gearbox neutral/reverse switch soon.

Hazard switch is also working fine. Now the horn is back all the electrics should pass a MoT but the handbrake is getting crappier and there are now numerous clonks from both front and rear that I suspect will be suspension bushes.

Just remembered I found this in my internet lurkings...

I wouldn't be surprised if its these problems are what cause the bad rep for the Laguna 2 electrics. A lot of these appeared to be fixed in production early on, but those cars I guess would have set the benchmark/peoples opinions on the reliability for rest of the models life.

"Faults concerning the wiring"

post-20071-0-27845800-1460756307_thumb.png

When was the date of your Lag manufactured SOC?

Today's news - the horn fixed itself! I was sitting in a queue and leaned on the steering wheel, there was a loud blast of horn which I assumed was someone else honking at me. Youngun pointed out I was pressing the horn :roll:

Also, no FTP since crank sensor change. Car starts first time every time now, assuming you remember to waggle the gearstick. Speaking of that, I noticed that the SERV light comes on when you select first from standstill. Not every time, but it's getting more frequent along with the need to stir the stick when starting. I'll probably change the gearbox neutral/reverse switch soon.

Hazard switch is also working fine. Now the horn is back all the electrics should pass a MoT but the handbrake is getting crappier and there are now numerous clonks from both front and rear that I suspect will be suspension bushes.

Horn not working, self cancelling not working - clock spring?

I think my Scenic has similar problems - self cancelling works fine but the airbag light comes on now and again and the horn is dodgy

• 3 weeks later...

Hey hey! Get your ORIGINAL LAGUNA THREAD action right here.

No updates for four weeks because it has surpassed all expectations by not siezing its engine, having electrical meltdown or snapped springs and no-one crashed into me either. Boring then. Yesterday I had to go look after my parents for the night (long story...) so I went to Middlesbrough in it, everything went fine. By the time I got home today however, the OSR wheel is stinking hot and smells of brakes and the car does the shitting dog pose when you try to reverse. I think I found the cause of the poor handbrake performance.

Yay.

Surely brakes can't be all renault-ised, simple rebuild? The Meriva shits it's rear drivers caliper nearly every year at the same time, a quick apart, clean, smack with a hammer and back together sorts it for a while. It froze on earlier this year in the very cold, that was fun*

• 3 months later...

I still own it! It's parked up (MoT expired, rear calipers both u/s) but might well see action again for the winter.

Also, I finally got around to running some diagnostics on it to find out why the SERV light flashes and it now has the dubious honour of "Most faults found" with 27 separate errors.

• 4 years later...
1 minute ago, Datsuncog said:

Yes, but we're all about the gory details here...

20180402_134141.thumb.jpg.02fd6e68576c6abf207fb3122a967eae.jpg

Knowing Laugunas it probably shat some ridiculously finicky part that is made of pure unobtainium and is only available from the deepest darkest realm of a far, far away land (or euro car part's back shelf) and costs £HOWFUCKINGMUCH.

NB  The last bit of it went in the bin today, I found the dented door from the car park incident buried in the scrap pile.

The car itself went to Chompy snake as a straight swap for the Ronnie Pickering red picasso which despite all is still going.

Edit, too slow! Lol

I weighed the door in using a ldv convoy if anyone wants to know.

12 minutes ago, scaryoldcortina said:

NB  The last bit of it went in the bin today, I found the dented door from the car park incident buried in the scrap pile.

The car itself went to Chompy snake as a straight swap for the Ronnie Pickering red picasso which despite all is still going.

Edit, too slow! Lol

I weighed the door in using a ldv convoy if anyone wants to know.

Not the outcome I was expecting lol

O,

17 hours ago, loserone said:

I've also just realised I once got a lift home in this, and it was left in third at 55 for miiiles.  I had no idea why but presumably something was fucked.

No, I just really like third gear, honest. 😂