Shite test

kadams1970

Lads,

I've been busy today. Thankfully, I missed this thread.

Everyone was yakking on yesterday about how Autoshite's credibility needed improvement so its article wasn't deleted off Wikipedia. Others wanted to book a place at the Restoration Show \ LI Classic Motor Show. As a PR outreach exercise, you've just binned both prospects.

Keith may well work for the competition (as far as I'm concerned), but his offer was sincere and genuine. He's responsible for Classic Car Weekly and Modern Classics; by shooting him down, you've effectively turned away the second biggest motoring publisher in the UK (the Restoration Show is also heavily influenced by Bauer, as its restoration title, Practical Classics, heads up the billing).

UltraWomble summed it up well - better than I could.

Well done*. Tea and crumpets all round. You can all be proud.

I thought we were better than this. I've been a member of this forum in various guises since 2008 and I've never been ashamed to be associated with this place before.

Well this makes me look more of a twat than normal then. I wasn't trying to be one I just thought he was being g a bit tight in the same way every so often a new user signs up only to try and sell their over priced car then ain't ever heard from again.

Sorry if this has pissed anyone off it wasn't my intention I just didn't want anyone being taken advantage of/messed about

Well this makes me look more of a twat than normal then. I wasn't trying to be one I just thought he was being g a bit tight in the same way every so often a new user signs up only to try and sell their over priced car then ain't ever heard from again.

Sorry if this has pissed anyone off it wasn't my intention I just didn't want anyone being taken advantage of/messed about

Keith's been on here a while - he popped up to post about his Saab 9000 a while back.

I tried to get a free copy of the first issue on Saturday at the NEC but the girl got a bit shirty with me and said I'd have to pay £2 for It or buy the lastest issue for £4.

I bought the latest one but i wasn't really sold on it, I haven't really read any modern car magazines for 10 years and this felt like where I left them off, not a bad thing if that's what your interested but I prefer my cars older.

That said I did enjoy the Saab 900 v Citroen CX test very much.

Dude, I write for them and the girl got shirty with me - or, to be more precise, she didn't know who I was (seemingly not the only one that day ;) ) and handing out free mags at an event that size is a rapid route to bankruptcy. Hell, I even buy my own CCW every Wednesday!

By the way, anyone writing for Modern Classics should really come to the Balkans. Many of those cars are still being used on a daily basis, although I suspect that potholes and homemade fixes have taken their toll. I actually went to see an R25 Turbo that was for sale a few months back (rough, but runs), and there's a guy in Å abac who repairs only Renault 25s.

Funny you should say that... I'm planning a trip next year to Romania.

......long rambling reply deleted...... I like it here.... having been a member of many forums over the years and coming here from RR because certain peeps there were a little less than friendly, I hope we do not go the same route as them, pistonheads E38 et all. This is the one place where everything from an old rusty Allegro to a 15 year old Vectra is shown the same respect and interest and taking the piss in a pleasant way is a way of life. If going mainstream means we lose that and have to treat magazine publishers and corporate entities like gods then that IMHO its not a forward step.  

Okay, so I want to see this feature happen, and I'll put a couple of bits forward here - JUST because this forum should be the last place someone like Keith, who has done shedloads, free, for the cause of some real shite, should get shot down with gripes and sarcasm. Y'all complain that Modern Classics isn't for the likes of AS, and then when there's an idea for featuring the very cars most of us would love to have on our drives (I'm actually the exception to that rule, not one of them is up my street - well, maybe the Senator), there's little actually constructive.

Given what I said about the forum yesterday I'm really fucking disappointed.

HOWEVER.

Rest assured that if I'm involved in one of these articles, depending on timescale and logistics, you'll be bought pub lunch if there's time, you'll probably have your car detailed with whatever kit I've got on test at the time, and you will get images, FREE, unwatermarked, for personal use (resell them and I'll cut your balls off, but as you might gather I'm reasonably chilled about stuff if I'm given the opportunity to offer it, rather than it just being taken). We're not exactly paid megabucks, but it's a "least I can do" thing in my opinion, when someone's stepping up to give their time to have their car featured.

If other photographers are so shitscared about their revenue stream that payment for the shoot isn't enough, that's their problem. Some mags don't pay for images, some pay per image, some pay a day rate - don't like the deal, don't do the work, easy.

Exception to this, if you REALLY love a picture I've done, and you want a print, I'll charge materials + a couple of quid (no sense asking for more as Boots etc. undercut it anyway) for up to 24 x 36 or 20 x 30 box canvas print, since I've got a Z3200ps doing sod all in a corner of the office.

Seriously. Get a grip. If you love your marque or car and there's a chance for exposure, TAKE IT. And if you don't, at least pick your battles when being clever on the internet ;)

magazine publishers and corporate entities like gods 

Good, it's about time we got some recognition. Now pray, before I smite your throttle bodies with carbon deposits and cause oxidisation of your multiplex bus wiring before invoking the great self-consuming diesel demons.

Oh dear, I was going to offer my fleet for a group test of which is better? a red panda, or green panda, or white panda, or orange panda, or blue panda, or black panda?

Obviously the y10 panda is best but doesn't run at the mo.

BTW a sarnie, bag of crisps followed by a warm caffienated beverage and two fingers of kit kat is snap (lunch is for the southies) of the highest order!

Thing is though, if you don't own any of the required cars THIS time, there's always a next time.

Unless, of course, you're a sarcastic prat about it, in which case it'll be someone else's car, or, a different car entirely.

I offered my Senator for the test, but apparently black is a bugger to photograph nicely. And that's the ONLY reason it wasn't suitable. Honest.

(Note: I'm not saying not to be sarcastic, or a twat, I'm just saying that you gotta do so with eyes open and be ready to take the comeback).

Oh dear, I was going to offer my fleet for a group test of which is better? a red panda, or green panda, or white panda, or orange panda, or blue panda, or black panda?

That dark red metallic that Sisleys came in. Or, my old neon Jackson Pollock 4x4. Except it's very dead and has probably been turned into the exhaust on a Great Wall now.

Obviously the y10 panda is best but doesn't run at the mo.

BTW a sarnie, bag of crisps followed by a warm caffienated beverage and two fingers of kit kat is snap (lunch is for the southies) of the highest order!

All Fiat Pandas. All of them, all the time, especially if you have a spaghetti-western twin pot effort.

From what I know of Keith, he's a real enthusiast and worth helping out. About ten years ago, we corresponded regarding a piece I was writing on Triumph in the United States.

I bought his Last Chance Saloon book on CD (recommended), and http://www.aronline.co.uk has to be the ultimate Austin/ Rover resource.

I suppose I went a little off topic earlier, but it shouldn't be interpreted as disinterest. On the contrary, we need more writers and historians like Keith.

Keith's great and a shite hero but a bit thin-skinned from what I've seen of him on a much worse forum.

Some of the replies on here are crap but that's what you get from a mostly unmoderated forum that isn't a massive circle jerk. I think autoshite would be worse if everyone was fawning, but some need to reign themselves in at times, myself included.

...we need more writers and historians like Keith.

We all need each other.  Deep breaths should be taken, digital handshakes offered and virtual pints enjoyed.

Somebody go and fetch Skizzer out of that trendy bistro - his 50p is still on the pool table and it's his turn to break.  Down, if he's in the R16...  ;)

It was a bit like a wanted advert of Gumtree. Someone with a clear cut idea of what they wanted got swamped with offers of stuff not asked for, Keith (unsurprisingly) got pissed off with some responses, and people are surprised?

Sorry for overreacting, chaps. It felt like I was being lumped in with cheapskate mags which don't reward readers and people who get involved. I do, and appreciate everyone who chips in, no matter how small a way they do it.

Please carry on - the thread suggestions are genius, and I promise, I'll run to a decent lunch, expenses, anything else needed, as well as give thus forum a good, solid mention.

Can't say fairer than that.