WTF is this ( non shite content )

Rusty Pelican

At first I thought possibly Reliant Sabre or even a Sabra but then realised it's absolutely tiny, so I think TooSavvy could be on the right lines , maybe even Austin 7 .

The only thing is it looks far too well proportioned for a 50's/60's special, although hasn't Barret got a pretty little Kitcar/ Special ? He's probably your man for this.

Its got Frank Costin's name all over it but I cannot place it as being one of his.....Looks far too well thought out to be a proprietary kit of the time.   If those rear wings were moulded from a Sunbeam Alpine's I wouldn't be surprised - same as that screen which looks like an early Alpine hardtop rear window.   Surely, though, that would distort far too much to be useable?   The wheel trims are Styla aftermarket ones I believe.  Its bloody interesting, can't wait to find out what it is!

I'm fascinated by this and hope someone knows what it is, must have thousands of books on cars but have not got a clue.  It almost looks too exotic for a British special, may even have been a complete one-off custom build for someone very rich.  And just happened to be photographed for a book!

Closest thing I can work out is a cheetah, an American kit based on the corvette. Totally wrong wings but the overall silhouette and gulling doors with that large air vent behind it look about right.

I wonder if someone saw one in a mag and made a copy based on a British chassis?

If you mean the Bill Thomas Cheetah, it was neither a kit, nor based on the Corvette, nor bearing any resemblance to the car in question.

Crikey!

Well, I have no idea what that is whatsoever. I can tell you what it's not, though, and that's anything thats been mentioned so far. It's not a production car and I am 99 per cent certain it's not an off the peg special body (I think I have records of all but two of the proprietary bodies available in the UK now. Slim chance it could be one of those two, I guess)

I would suggest entirely home built on Ford chassis (looks a bit long for an A7). There were plenty of these being made, but few I've seen are anywhere near the quality of this. The flared arches in particular would be very difficult to do in GRP in your shed. It could even be an ally body.

I reckon the only hope of finding out what it is is to read every copy of Practical Motorist published between 1956 and '62 and see if it pops up in there. Or somebody reads this thread and remembers their uncle Dave making it. Annoying, but I am gradually getting used to the fact that some cars will simply never be identified now so much time has passed. Which is a shame, considering all the work that somebody put into this just for it to slip totally into obscurity forever.

I'll pass this pic to some more knowledgeable folks than me and see if they can come up with anything.

If you mean the Bill Thomas Cheetah, it was neither a kit, nor based on the Corvette, nor bearing any resemblance to the car in question.

Details, details. Yes the cheetah was a purpose built car, but take those bubble arches off, replace them with flatter sides. So far? Look how the rear wheel arch cuts into the doorway (got to be gulling as there's no visible door handle at the rear of the door along with the shut lines deep into the roof) yup the rear wings are all wrong too but there are clues that seem to me that it was, at least inspired by the cheetah.