Should I sell something without the V5?

Fabergé Greggs

So I've sold my C90 but I can't find the V5. 

The bloke wants to take it anyway and wants me to apply for the V5 and then send it on when I've got the V5 through, mostly he wants to ride it this Sunday on some sort of autocycle run.

He says there'll be a fine If he applies for a new V5 as I won't have notified them of a change of keeper. 

WCPGW? Seriously, what can go wrong?

He's right, if he applies you will get hit with a fine if he just applies for a book, but if you give him the bike and apply for the book then send it on you will be liable for tax and tickets while it all goes through.

The correct way to do it is for you to write to DVLA telling them the date of transfer and the new keeper's details, and then he applies for a book.

Yes. Something along the lines of

Dear DVLA.

I have sold Horsey Horseless registration number NAG 1 chassis number 0U812 to Mr D Hirst, 1 The Racecourse, Wakefield on 12/11/15. I cannot find the V5 document, so this is my notification of transfer.

Yours sincerely

A Horsetrader.

Send it to

Vehicle customer services
DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1AR

Get proof of posting from the post office in case they lose it.

No just you need to sign it, you also need to make sure you date it.

As long as it includes full details of both parties and as much as you can tell them about the vehicle, you should get a notification a week or 2 later that you are no longer the registered keeper.

Have done this 2 or 3 times myself after losing logbooks.

Send to Doovla, Walestown, SA99 1BA.

as dink said, and taken from their website -

You need to complete the V5C and post it to DVLA.

If you don’t have a V5C you must write to DVLA with the:

• vehicle registration number
  • make and model
  • exact date of sale
  • name and address of the new keeper
  • signatures of the buyer and seller

Your notification can be rejected if you don’t provide all the information. This will also affect any refund from your vehicle tax that you’re owed.

DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1BA

Lee

• 4 years later...

Back to the top. 

Am eyeing up a cheap runaround to get me through winter and have spotted a little 206 1.4 hdi. It's not got a V5 for whatever reason though.

What's the situation on this now? Is it still a bad idea to buy a motor with no V5? I'd obviously ask for a full written receipt of sale. 

I guess getting it taxed would be a ballache too? 

4 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Back to the top. 

Am eyeing up a cheap runaround to get me through winter and have spotted a little 206 1.4 hdi. It's not got a V5 for whatever reason though.

What's the situation on this now? Is it still a bad idea to buy a motor with no V5? I'd obviously ask for a full written receipt of sale. 

You can do it, but due to Covid, it can take a long time to get a V5 this way. I never received the logbook for the Tourer I bought on March, I applied using V62... 

2 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

You can do it, but due to Covid, it can take a long time to get a V5 this way. I never received the logbook for the Tourer I bought on March, I applied using V62... 

Interesting. DVLA have been dicking me around for almost six months on getting my imported Lambretta registered, so I assumed this would also be a world of pain.

How did you tax the Tourer? 

15 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Interesting. DVLA have been dicking me around for almost six months on getting my imported Lambretta registered, so I assumed this would also be a world of pain.

How did you tax the Tourer? 

You can tax it at the post office while doing the V62. 

Yeah I didn’t get the Tigra one from the seller and no green slip. I was assured it would be done. 

It wasn’t I gave @Jazoli £25 back when he bought it thinking applying for a new one wouldn’t be an issue. 

Ended up being 2 months where he couldn’t tax it or anything. I felt a right knob! 

When did SORN first start up? Divla lost my documents to my Varadero when I did a change of address, after shit loads of twattin emails I phoned them, got a script reading twat, eventually got through to a supervisor/manager, who listened to the circumstances that it hadn't arrived at the new address or at the old address.... Are you sure...yes.  How do you know...because I still owned the previous address and it was unoccupied.

Have you checked with your neighbours.....Why the fk should I need to... 

She then pulled out the Data protection I cannot tell you what address it is currently registered to but it is in your name.... Well send me out a new fkin document then...Only if you send us the fee of 80 odd pounds, we will look into it... 

This was fkin years ago, still no docs, but strangely no letters or fines for not Sorning it since or is long term Sorning a once only thing or does it need to be done annually?? 

1 hour ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Back to the top. 

I have bought quite a few cars without V5's. No problems - just price the car accordingly it's a good haggle point. You have to fill out a paper form and pay £25. You can download the form...but you do need a printer...they have not gone electronic with this process presumably to avoid fraud. Make sure you fill out all the details. They are not interested in receipts for change of ownership after all this is just about the keeper..

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-log-book

You don't really need a V5 for anything - just the magic ref numbers on it - so see if the docs are knocking round in the car maybe.

If the car is taxed currently as the present owner can't 'unown' it without the V5 the tax should run 'till you get the new V5 in your name...just keep checking on the DVLA website 'till they cancel it. I've no idea how the previous owner gets their share of the money back - why worry...

I don't take these things too seriously but obviously I would not spend a lot on a mota without the V5.

To get over the doc problems - for stuff I have it is good to keep photos of V5's etc - so when you lose them you still can find the magic numbers...

You can't tax a car without a V5...or at least the numbers...

On the car tax matter I left a car untaxed on a London road for 1.5 months and did not get clamped - so maybe the clamping is less ferocious in this time of Covid...

In any event always get a decent receipt to avoid any problems.

26 minutes ago, Robson3022 said:

Yeah I didn’t get the Tigra one from the seller and no green slip. I was assured it would be done. 

It wasn’t I gave @Jazoli £25 back when he bought it thinking applying for a new one wouldn’t be an issue. 

Ended up being 2 months where he couldn’t tax it or anything. I felt a right knob! 

It arrived yesterday, how long was that!

I was always under the impression that it was a criminal offence to sell a car without a V5. 

Just googled it, and the government's own website, advises buyer not to risk buying a stolen vehicle, and not to risk not being able to Tax or Sorn it, but it doesn't say you can't.  But I wouldn't. 

As a seller, I want the transfer to be almost immediate, I don't want Speeding fines coming through the door. 

I wouldn't advertise a vehicle for sale if I didn't have the V5 in the box marked "cars".

I wouldn't buy a car without being able to see the V5 and check the vin and engine numbers matched. 

But me being a sanctamonious twat again?  that doesn't help the OP does it? 

Cheers for all the replies. Life's complicated enough so I've decided to avoid. 

Oh, that and the fact I had a good look at the MOT history online. I'm not sure whether the advisories of 'heavily undersealed', has 'accident damage to boot floor', 'has oil leak' or the fact it's had more owners than I've had hot dinners concerns me more. The missing V5 now seems a minor detail! 

15 minutes ago, New POD said:

I was always under the impression that it was a criminal offence to sell a car without a V5. 

Just googled it, and the government's own website, advises buyer not to risk buying a stolen vehicle, and not to risk not being able to Tax or Sorn it, but it doesn't say you can't.  But I wouldn't. 

As a seller, I want the transfer to be almost immediate, I don't want Speeding fines coming through the door. 

I wouldn't advertise a vehicle for sale if I didn't have the V5 in the box marked "cars".

I wouldn't buy a car without being able to see the V5 and check the vin and engine numbers matched. 

But me being a sanctamonious twat again?  that doesn't help the OP does it? 

But with all these things "remember nobody is watching" - take Ripley's advice (ps there is some gore in this film clip and I'm not recommending anyone follows Ripley's example...)

11 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Cheers for all the replies. Life's complicated enough so I've decided to avoid. 

Oh, that and the fact I had a good look at the MOT history online. I'm not sure whether the advisories of 'heavily undersealed', has 'accident damage to boot floor', 'has oil leak' or the fact it's had more owners than I've had hot dinners concerns me more. The missing V5 now seems a minor detail! 

Its a balence of risks - the missing V5 might be trying to hide something. Sounds worth a miss.