It could have bloody worked - cars which could have been...

Dick Longbridge

You're right, they look shit but in a 'so bad it's good' kind of way I would have one.   Didn't some of them have a Nissan turbo as well instead of a wheezy CVH?

Yes they did. 1.8T

Or when they finally got the Polyfilla out and filled in the bloody huge body gaps, called it the Sabre, and fitted a 1.4 OMGHGF K-series into it.

hist9mn1.jpg

Bentley Bengal, sporting a healthy dose of Landcrab DNA:

rrproto_04_zps8671d95f.jpg

In fairness, a development of this did see life as the Austin 3-Litre.  Had a gorgeous ride from what I read.

Why it wasn't sold as a Wolseley and a VdP, instead of suffering the hardest-ever ugly stick hit a car has ever been hit with.

• 2 weeks later...

In the year very early in motoring history, an American car Co. Willys tried out a new invention on their new model. It was called a "steering wheel" and was to replace the tiller used by everyone else.  They dropped it on the production model because "It will never catch on"

Another car co, I think Rambler used a new in-house designed front suspension in 1940? . The system was used in production cars. It used a vertical spring with a shock absorber inside. But surely that was invented by a chap called Mc Pherson in the late 40's'. Always patent your good ideas.

My stock (but no less valid because of it) answer to this type of question:

DSC_4137.jpg

They got a V8 in the hatchback in South Africa (XR8?), but a Cologne would have worked in my imaginings just as well. Shiny seats, electrical bits and bobs and an automatic gearbox.

I suspect Ford didn't do it because they thought it would harm Granada sales. Balls. It would have appealed to an entirely different market, luring people out of 190s and 3-serieseses, and they could have focused on trying to flog the Mk3 Granada to it's real market, geriatric caravaners.

Is that a 200 Avant? If so my mates brothers girlfriends uncles sister had one. It was a D plate quatro version in a white lustre paint. Went like  shit off a stick. Quite a nice motor as I remember.

If it's not a 200 please ignore me!

A V8 Avant. And they later made V8 Avants in C4 S4 guise for mucho DMarks, no big bling but 4.2 quattro with 280hp.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I papped this when it was at  Beaulieu for a short period.    Looked even better in the metal..... 

The Bentley Bengal reminds me of a work-mate of my Dad's who put a RR grille on his Austin 3 litre.   Not just a bodged-on Shadow grille, mind you - he bloody fabricated the thing out of stainless offcuts from work.   It got ovalled in the end, I think - complete with the hand-made grille.

• 10 months later...

I know it has been posted earlier but...................... Lynx Eventer, BOOTIFUL

They made quite a few & they still cost a mint. I'd love one.

Spotted this at an end of year car meet. Dolomite Sprint... alloy bodied yoke! Strange but appealing thing. Owner informed me that they were marketed as a cheaper alternative to a rolls during a fuel crisis... or some such story. Weird but wonderful in equal measures.

Panther Rio.

lexus_landau_concept_2.jpg

3789557863_34f7a59de1_z.jpg?zz=1

• 8 months later...