It could have bloody worked - cars which could have been...

Dick Longbridge

Transverse straight eight.

I would like a straight eight. The usual reasons why they are not a good idea are dealt with if drive is taken by gear from the centre of the crankshaft (like many transverse multi-cylinder motorcycle engines). Would be especially suited to mid engine sportscars  :-D

Bugatti. This F1 car of the fifties failed completely, but not because of the engine / transmission.  post-17481-0-65857100-1447099651_thumb.png

Ford Tempo.  A project to improve packaging with large engines: 90 degree gear drive between crankshaft and torque converter.

post-17481-0-57647900-1447099702_thumb.png

post-17481-0-47030700-1447099723_thumb.png

SprintEstate.jpg

I quite like the idea of a Doloshite estate, but the rear end tapers and it'd make the load area very narrow, if you followed the original roofline it'd also end up very low like the Rover P6 Estoura.

I did my own Photoshop a while back, sadly I think it merely cements the Dolomite as being a mid 60s design still being churned out 10 years later. I'd probably have one, but I'm a certified Dolomoron...

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad257/captain_70s/Dolomite/Dollyestate.jpg~original

You'll have to make do with a link as apparently I'm "not allowed to use that image extension on this community.".