It could have bloody worked - cars which could have been...

Dick Longbridge

• 6 months later...
This could have worked though...
post-4721-0-93704600-1502791062_thumb.png
Yep, slightly longer doors and that would've looked pretty good.

Always thought the Maestro glasshouse to be very similar to the Astra MK3, which was generally considered a decent looking car. At least at the time.ca45d204bacf81582ccf74e26180a370.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 5.3 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I do wish the Honda EV looked sharp and fresh like the concept, rather than the blobby, Fiat 500-esque production car. It's ok, but could have looked so much better. 

D0ZhTGoWsAAb7cr.jpg

I think the rear quarter of the concept car looks awfully like a citroen saxo

3 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I think that's why I loved the concept so much. It looked fresh yet had lots of familiarity about it. And not in a Fiat 500 way. 

I think it’s a cracking design and much better than the production version. I love the new 500 though, I think it was an act of genius.

19 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I do wish the Honda EV looked sharp and fresh like the concept, rather than the blobby, Fiat 500-esque production car. It's ok, but could have looked so much better. 

D0ZhTGoWsAAb7cr.jpg

I really like that - on the outside. Retro-ish looks thoroughly ruined by the Cinerama dashboard 

p01gNiG.jpg

The ADO 71 coupe with frameless door windows and air-con.  The Wolseley was to have the option of a transverse Rover V8.

The coupe model was abandoned only a week before full production was due to start as they couldn't stop the black paint from peeling off the Marina Lotus door-handles on test-cars (as can be seen even on this car).

So near yet so far. 

On 1/7/2021 at 3:02 PM, MiniMort said:

20200710_123039.thumb.jpg.72e62bc80bc98884e3cc3cc00f9989c0.jpg

When I was bored and in Lockdown 1 I decided to use Automation to see what a Leyland Princess estate would've looked like. If I'm honest I quite like it

There was something similar but never made production:

1978 Austin Princess "Glassback" Triplex:

1978-ogle-triplex-10-20-glassback-banovs

h8SRyoSURipL92XwvTkTNv2bFskG0nNb7JD0yKUa

X7Xxrrzl5tKe5ZR0N-b1FJZyYfbgk5xEvOR38xMm

2 hours ago, JeeExEll said:

p01gNiG.jpg

The ADO 71 coupe with frameless door windows and air-con.  The Wolseley was to have the option of a transverse Rover V8.

The coupe model was abandoned only a week before full production was due to start as they couldn't stop the black paint from peeling off the Marina Lotus door-handles on test-cars (as can be seen even on this car).

So near yet so far.  Very frustrating.  Oh well, never mind.

How TF would they fit a RV8 transversely in there? That's a more likely reason for binning it that peeling paint on the door handles. Given BL struggled to get cars out the door with the same brakes on either side peeling paint doesn't even register.

A lost idea or two is now great loss. Sure a Princess estate might have been nice or perhaps a three door BX would have been groovy but the course of history would hardly have been altered.

The one coulda shoulda for me is if BAE could have hung onto Rover for a few more years to let the Ronda thing happen properly. There was something good happening there that was lost. 

I remember seeing  - in Sheffield in the '90s - a 5-door W126 S-class.  Possible even this one as it was the same pale met green.  The hatch panel from the rear had a look of Rover 800 to it and the car looked really rather good.

(photo pinched from curbsideclassic.com)

438307.jpg