It could have bloody worked - cars which could have been...

Dick Longbridge

How about Volkswagen's original Golf proposal, the EA266? Developed with the aid of Porsche, it featured a water-cooled, longitudinally-mounted engine sat on its side beneath the rear seat, driving a rear transaxle. As a result it offered a huge amount of interior space as well as two large luggage compartments. With independent suspension all round, a low centre of gravity and near-perfect weight distribution I imagine it would be a laugh to drive as well.

50 prototypes were built and production was about to be given the go-ahead when internal VW politics put paid to the EA266, leaving them to content themselves with raiding Audi's development projects to produce the dreary, conventional Golf as we know it today.

post-20075-0-86958300-1502799810_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Bingo 4x4 Off Road

With a less wanky body I think there would have been a good market for a "dangel" version outside of France.

61f97f071f8587129bbe25d4be87e8bb--citroe

I can see something like this appealing to frustrated dads who cant afford a Discovery to lug the offspring about in but want that 4x4 experience...

6add070668f18f0dca296d933ef7366f--peugeo

How about Volkswagen's original Golf proposal, the EA266? Developed with the aid of Porsche, it featured a water-cooled, longitudinally-mounted engine sat on its side beneath the rear seat, driving a rear transaxle. As a result it offered a huge amount of interior space as well as two large luggage compartments. With independent suspension all round, a low centre of gravity and near-perfect weight distribution I imagine it would be a laugh to drive as well.

50 prototypes were built and production was about to be given the go-ahead when internal VW politics put paid to the EA266, leaving them to content themselves with raiding Audi's development projects to produce the dreary, conventional Golf as we know it today.

FDV3dedf6_VW_EA_266.jpg

How can that have perfect weight distribution with all the running gear at the back? Seems more likely it would have the tendency to "do a 911" and be pretty hard to control once the rear end starts moving around.

How can that have perfect weight distribution with all the running gear at the back? Seems more likely it would have the tendency to "do a 911" and be pretty hard to control once the rear end starts moving around.

The engine's under the rear seat, ahead of the rear axle, rather than behind it like a 911 or older Volkswagen. Pretty much the entirety of the EA266's drivetrain is within the wheelbase in the middle of the car.

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Full production car, but never in the UK. I'm always jealous when a see a European 3 door MK2 Sierra, especially in GLS trim.

Agreed. I saw these in Majorca in 1989 and I thought it was unfair that Spain and their islands had the choice of 3 door and not us Brits.