It could have bloody worked - cars which could have been...

Dick Longbridge

2 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

r/WeirdWheels - 1976 Triumph Crayford TR7 Tracer (Crayford Engineering)

1976 Triumph CrayFord TR7 Tracer (Crayford Engineerin

https://www.aronline.co.uk/the-converters/crayford/tr7-trace

WTF were they trying to create?  And why?

Did no-one say at the time 'I think this might be a bit shite', and why are we doing this as the standard car is fine.

Great interesting period pic.

20 minutes ago, Asimo said:

image.thumb.jpeg.c0b27bacba7296e5d1985f937ddb6d3f.jpeg
P
erhaps they thought the Lynx wasn’t estate-enough?

(I remember seeing abandoned Lynx outside the Triumph factory from the bus, 1975/6)

I really don't like the Lynx, it looks overbodied & gawky. It reminds me of a something Bond cars (of Equipe fame) might have come up with. 

18 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

r/WeirdWheels - 1976 Triumph Crayford TR7 Tracer (Crayford Engineering)

1976 Triumph CrayFord TR7 Tracer (Crayford Engineering)

Crayford TR7 Tracer – the sporting Triumph that failed to make the grade

https://www.aronline.co.uk/the-converters/crayford/tr7-tracer/

There are no two parallel lines anywhere on that. It's like every single panel, hatch, door, trim, glass and fitting on that was designed by a different person, each on different continents, who never saw what the other was up to, or cared, all controlled by a near-blind glue-sniffing maniac who lived in a hole in the ground in Zambia, a man who only communicated with these design minions by telex messages, each instruction carefully hidden in his interpretation of a Nostradamus quatrain, in language studded with phrases relating to glam rock.

I want it. Obviously. 

6 hours ago, Sham said:

A car called Macho? Any hint of the demographic it was aimed at?

The insecure with too much money.

It's a completely new one to me, not often that happens with older Fords these days, interesting find.

(Whilst checking out this car I discovered another Swiss creation - well 20 of them - called the Monteverdi Sierra.  Turns out they were based on the Dodge Aspen or Plymouth Volare from the late 70s, not a Ford hatchback.  I'm not even going to post a pic as they looked shit). 

13 hours ago, Inspiral_Mondays said:

BMW E46 M3…

…Estate

Prototype was production ready apparently,

I don't understand why they don't make these more.

Audi did a lot of their high-performance stuff ONLY as estates originally (see the B5 RS4 and C5 RS6).

BMW did a limited run of M5 touring, but really, they've rather ignored them.

20 hours ago, JeeExEll said:

The insecure with too much money.

It's a completely new one to me, not often that happens with older Fords these days, interesting find.

(Whilst checking out this car I discovered another Swiss creation - well 20 of them - called the Monteverdi Sierra.  Turns out they were based on the Dodge Aspen or Plymouth Volare from the late 70s, not a Ford hatchback.  I'm not even going to post a pic as they looked shit). 

04b63e593a7f75baf81abf62e41003e1.jpg

Monteverdi-sierra-03.jpg

I love it. It looks like a generic unbranded car from Grand Theft Auto, or a similar game.

• 2 weeks later...

Monteverdi made a 4 door conversion for the Range Rover circa 1980 several years before Land Rover made a factory 4 door model. 

931C5051-7509-4BAF-A8A5-F1D527897CF1.jpeg.b40eb0471506fcceedbeccb18684c3e6.jpeg

It looked a complete ballache to do, presumably involving designing and building new rear doors, shortening the front doors and designing a central pillar. About 300 were built. Easily spotted due to the badges and angled shut line on the rear doors. 

• 1 month later...

13 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

545305_10151192804205690_382967679_n.jpg

DSCN1424.jpg

image.thumb.png.e47142ea2ae78d006b006cfc009b87ac.pngimage.thumb.png.02944ac609ac9bd459d4de9f6aae879c.png

Has someone from Rover been walking past a Toyota salesroom? Or did a Toyota designer take a peak over Rover's fence? Either way there's quite a lot of that Rover in the Toyota (or the other way round) including the raised bonnet scoop grille thing and lights  and the integrated bumpers. The Crown is from Feb 1971 and J reg's ran from  1/8/70 to 31/7/71...

image.png.60575ddd3af999a10f76dbce25ecd6f1.png

2 minutes ago, martc said:

image.thumb.png.e47142ea2ae78d006b006cfc009b87ac.pngimage.thumb.png.02944ac609ac9bd459d4de9f6aae879c.png

Has someone from Rover been walking past a Toyota salesroom? Or did a Toyota designer take a peak over Rover's fence? Either way there's quite a lot of that Rover in the Toyota (or the other way round) including the raised bonnet scoop grille thing and lights  and the integrated bumpers. The Crown is from Feb 1971 and J reg's ran from  1/8/70 to 31/7/71...

image.png.60575ddd3af999a10f76dbce25ecd6f1.png

I reckon the Rover is prettier.

The flicked-up waistline of the rear door of the Rover is very Datsun 180b. 

On 10/10/2021 at 8:02 PM, warch said:

Monteverdi made a 4 door conversion for the Range Rover circa 1980 several years before Land Rover made a factory 4 door model. 

931C5051-7509-4BAF-A8A5-F1D527897CF1.jpeg.b40eb0471506fcceedbeccb18684c3e6.jpeg

It looked a complete ballache to do, presumably involving designing and building new rear doors, shortening the front doors and designing a central pillar. About 300 were built. Easily spotted due to the badges and angled shut line on the rear doors. 

Didn't LR had to pay Royalties to Montiverdi for each four door thereafter? 🤔 

1 hour ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I reckon the Rover is prettier.

The flicked-up waistline of the rear door of the Rover is very Datsun 180b. 

I agree, the Toyota is a bit 'fussy'. I think there's also a touch of Bristol about the rear quarters of the Rover as well.