It could have bloody worked - cars which could have been...

Dick Longbridge

• 4 weeks later...

32 minutes ago, JeeExEll said:

n6ZkJju.jpg

2-dr pillarless.

TktmlFT.jpg

4-dr pillarless 'sports-hardtop'.

XSHt5cX.jpg

Countryman.

zkxXCIS.jpg

Traveller.

ORx40n7.jpg

Traveller Max.

pwtPoqt.jpg

Traveller Max Touring.

V8iPxU5.jpg

Traveller Grand Max Touring.

bTDLRND.jpg

Royale-with-Cheese.

They're brilliant. Countryman and Royale with cheese are particularly good. They look oh so familiar too, despite having never actually existed.

• Dick Longbridge changed the title to It could have bloody worked - cars which could have been...

Most coulda shoulda cars didn't go anywhere because they were actually a bad idea. The one that baffles me why they have never done it is a proper MX-5 GT. 

Not some lame assed metal folding top thing or that bloody stupid RF targa crap but a proper MGB GT style fastback coupe with a proper hatch and a proper load deck. Obviously they aren't going to give the emergency get home from the pub rear seat the MG had any more but wouldn't it be nice to have an MX-5 that you could squeeze the dogs in?

4tlfqzE.jpg

One night in late 1971 Harris Mann took some very strong cheese and went to bed, his head swimming with designs for wedge shaped cars.  During the night he had a vision in great detail, and next day a prototype was built.

He named it the Maxado71. 

2 hours ago, JimH said:

Most coulda shoulda cars didn't go anywhere because they were actually a bad idea. The one that baffles me why they have never done it is a proper MX-5 GT. 

Not some lame assed metal folding top thing or that bloody stupid RF targa crap but a proper MGB GT style fastback coupe with a proper hatch and a proper load deck. Obviously they aren't going to give the emergency get home from the pub rear seat the MG had any more but wouldn't it be nice to have an MX-5 that you could squeeze the dogs in?

They sort-of did, with the Mk2 - it wasn't a hatch though. Very few were made however, and it was only sold on the Japanese market. They go for mega-bucks these days.

Info here: https://www.motortrend.com/vehicle-genres/mazda-mx-5-miata-coupe-production-jdm-photos/

a2aba19adfff3e0573d4c52bc445eecd.jpg

Screenshot-2013-12-18-at-14.50.36-680x394.png

8 hours ago, Soundwave said:

They sort-of did, with the Mk2 - it wasn't a hatch though. Very few were made however, and it was only sold on the Japanese market. They go for mega-bucks these days.

Info here: https://www.motortrend.com/vehicle-genres/mazda-mx-5-miata-coupe-production-jdm-photos/

a2aba19adfff3e0573d4c52bc445eecd.jpg

Screenshot-2013-12-18-at-14.50.36-680x394.png

Z4 E86 Koop was a brave step for BMW at the time. They haven't repeated the exercise for the Z range since. I know Bangle era BMW are marmite (although these aren't actually Bangle, but anyway) but I reckon they're bloody lovely. 

2006_bmw_z4_m_coupe_1542661971e7dff9f98764daimage17-e1561486016835.png

Back on track, it's crazy to think this BMW Mille Miglia coupe concept was created in 2006, and built from carbon fibre.

Edit: Looking again, there appears to be a little E85/6 Z4 in those swooping flanks...

p0026475.jpg

On 6/10/2021 at 11:16 PM, Dick Longbridge said:

Wow. I LOVE this. There's a real hint of Daytona about it. It would look even tastier if that front end was grafted onto the nose of a Mk3 GT6. Who's good with photoshop?! 😉

20210610_231359.jpg

They were driving that on one of those daytime tv antique programmes. The ones where they buy stuff from shops and then try abd sell it at auction for a profit, a bit like buying a car from a main stealer and then listing it on ebay. 

Anyhow, on this one an antique person and someone who was possibly a local news presenter or in a band that had a few hits in the 80s or something, drive around in old cars to antique shops in some sort of random tv premise generator ("this house aution programme is good but do you know what it really needs *spins wheel* - ex Coventry and Villa footaller, Dion Dublin", "Imagine bargain hunt but with *spins wheel* ex celebrities and *spins wheel*classic cars" etc).

I was just walking through the living room when it was on and saw this car. Had to sit there for ages trying to figure out what it was. 

On 6/10/2021 at 11:16 PM, Dick Longbridge said:

Wow. I LOVE this. There's a real hint of Daytona about it. It would look even tastier if that front end was grafted onto the nose of a Mk3 GT6. Who's good with photoshop?! 😉

20210610_231359.jpg

Just done a bit of digging and it transpires it's a 6 pot Triumph Fury.

Front end is Bardot. 

Back end is Boyle. 

I'd still love to see that nose grafted onto a mk3 Triumph GT6. Gorgeous. 

8eba3a81f3394d6efa34ba785487b19c.jpg

1965_Triumph_Fury_Michelotti_Prototype_For_Sale_Rear_1-1.jpg

33509811512_3f74ebea00_b.jpg