Austin Maxi 1750

Guest Old_Fart

Either that, or his real name is Basharat. http://www.austinmaxiclub.org/features/blpakistan/bm3.htm

Or bought the car from him while on holiday* in Pakistan. Suspension conversion to coils on page one of that series of pics.

http://www.austinmaxiclub.org/features/blpakistan/bm0.htm

In the spirit of not letting this thread die I'd just like to say that I've never owned a Maxi. They seemed to have no appeal in the same way that most people carriers fail to excite. I drove one recently and it was not too bad, years ahead of its time in fulfilling a need that no one wants to have.

cros, on 28 Oct 2015 - 11:25 AM, said:

In the spirit of not letting this thread die I'd just like to say that I've never owned a Maxi. They seemed to have no appeal in the same way that most people carriers fail to excite. I drove one recently and it was not too bad, years ahead of its time in fulfilling a need that no one wants to have.

I have fond memories of a dark green Maxi 1500 that one of my mates used to own. Its top speed was 50 mph and it consumed equally large amounts of oil and petrol.

On a trip up to London once to collect a motorbike for another friend, I remember seeing the word SCANIA loom into view in massive letters through the fog of oil smoke behind the car... the car never actually made it back from that trip, and after a few half-arsed attempts at getting it going again it was eventally returned to Reclamet scrapyard (used to be on Sturry Road in Canterbury, near the Asda) from which my mate bought it.

Actually, now I think about it, it was a shit car really.

Well I had a 1980 1750HL Badermatic. Then I got some cheap tyres, attached to these rimz:

7891957478_922f1c2a11_z.jpg

Maxi 007.jpg by E Honda, on Flickr

Motor was sound ropey as fook 17k miles later, probably didn't like it's diet of 95UL (plus the rare tank of 98UL, so I dropped the lot out and robbed the lump out of my other one and made it manual as I didn't have time or inclination to swap boxes.