Sexy 2003 Mondeo 2.0 Zetec - you want me? Maybe?

purplebargeken

It had to happen at some point in my life! I am MONDEO MAN, yay.

Moar piccies to follow tomorrow.

One first glance this is a nice looking car, a few bonnet scratches and so on but it is a used car. I'll get over it (eventually) Cavcraft vehicle descriptions, not worth the loo roll they are written on, sheesh.

Interior looks very tidy, rear seats were tried and found to have audi levels of firmness. Huge boot contained a familiar broom :)

It will be looked at more closely tomorrow and a bit of cleaning might occur. The colour is not as JRG as one might think, more like a champagne colour. The plastic headlight lenses are just starting to cloud over and will be cleaned up before they worsen.

I'm waiting for the CD player unit to arrive and will also look at getting a new gear lever gaiter.

I'll get a caliper rewind kit from eBay and see if that sorts things out with the handbrake.

First impressions are: WIN!

Had thoughts about punting it on when I get it MOT'd in December but it is appealing so I might keep it unless someone really fancies it.

Next car after this........ Alfa. 

Then I will save up and get a late 80's/early 90's American car. :)

You can buy a kit but I just used a mop and compound on a mates Astra, they were really, really diabolical and you couldn't even see the light units inside. Now they are about 95% clear which is impressive given the state they were in. You could also use wet & dry from 1500, 2000 and finishing on 3000 plus compound. It might be easier to buy a good used set. They are not pricey. 

Might be an urban myth, but isnt toothpaste is supposed to be good for polishing headlight lenses*? (the 'whitening' types have a mild abbrasive in them)

If it doesnt work, at least your headlights will be less sensitive and smell minty-fresh.

*Not tried it myself, my neighbours think I'm weird enough without seeing me polish car headlights with dental hygene products

Finally managed to spend a couple of hours with the sleek and sensual Mondy. She is rather lovely, sleek, flowing lines. Rounded when it matters with a large amount of storage space.

The colour of this car is not exactly JRG, it is much more subtle, almost like a champagne colour (or Babycham if you must). It really does look good.

I started off by wiping the car down and then claying a few sections. Mmm, nice result. Just a few light scratches and a few stone chips to contend with but less than one might have imagined of a 12 year old car with 128,090 miles on the clock. The bodywork overall is very solid indeed.

I cleaned up a couple of alloy wheels and they did look rather good. Tyres look fine too. A couple of stubborn patches will get the proper wheel cleaner treatment.

The mysterious stain on the drivers seat got a blast or three from my fave 1001 cleaning stuff and was drying as I departed. Hopefully that should be the end of said stain :)

Interior-wise all looks very well screwed together, the alloy type trim looks swish, all the electrical things work as they should including the one touch drivers window. I gave the headlining a wipe over with a 1001 dampened cloth and it has come up rather well indeed, almost like new. The only really worn bits are the gear lever gaiter, the bottom of the steering wheel cover and the centre badges for the alloys.

I was going to fit the replacement stereo/CD player but the keys required fro the tape unit in the car are the round wire type. The new unit has the thin bladed type. Guess which one I didn't have. Yep. Will sort it out next time. 

Niggles? Not that many really. Some I knew about, the rest are what they are :)

Front passenger door won't open from outside, ok from the inside though.

Passenger door mirror lens cracked.

Front fog light surround needs a fettle to sit properly, maybe one of the clips has broken off.

Number plates are looking shabby.

No Autoshite sticker yet fitted.

Wheel bearing to do

Hand brake only comes up about 1/2" and won't go any further, it is not enough to engage the ratchet. Not sure what is the problem there.

Basic service needed. 

MOT expires on 1st Jan 2016. 

Photos later.

Whilst this is actually a rather nice car, with the purchase of the auto Sierra this means the Mondy is rather redundant.

Anyone fancy it as is for £350, this will allow me to break even, no profit (which doesn't bother me). If not, I'll just keep it and make it nice. 

You might have more facial hair and you also seem taller. Other than that, then maybe :)

Please pay attention at the back! Yes, that includes YOU WilsonWilson.

Whilst this is actually a rather nice car, with the purchase of the auto Sierra this means the Mondy is rather redundant.