What did you pass your test in?

Jason A

Failed my first test in mum's car (1982):

Posted Image

Tester was a fat sod who could only squeeze into it in the first place with great difficulty. Was pretty sure I'd be in trouble 'cos he didn't appear to be in the best frame of mind throughout the whole test.

Passed next time in a nice green Renault 5TL of 1976 vintage.

It was a Mini Metro really can't remember what year buyt he'd changed the gear knob to a massive sort of plastic one with a horse shoe inside it (obviously to a small scale) and he had a knife down the side of his seat 'in case he got attacked'?????Thinking about it my Driving Instructor now seems a little scary......

1988 Nova 1.2 Merit 3dr. (1989)Vowed that day I would never drive a Nova again.Although I did once, I borrowed a 1.0 from a workmate cos it had a towbar :shock: I dont think towing a big trailer full of rubble with a 1 lite Nova was a brilliant idea, but it did it.T junction's - VERY scary!

Oooh, that 850 koop is just lovely

Yes. carlo's Mater has excellent taste in cars. Interesting about the examiner being a 'fat bastard' too. The female with whom I eventually passed that test was like having three sacks of potatoes on the passenger seat & it was quite difficult to peer round her when turning left. But most examiners are Mr Sensible with a tweed jacket, sleeveless padded anorak, check shirt, knitted tie, etc. And boy, do they love those clipboards, their badge of office.

Hi folks, this is my first posts so a big hello to you all - though some of you will know me from the Austin-Rover and Datman forums too. :D I passed my test in Nove 1994 in a K-reg Sunny 5-door which although it was bigger than most learner-mobiles was so smooth and easy to drive I went straight through first time.I actually bought my first car, a 1967 Triumph 1300 FWD earlier that year before I even started my lessons and I still have it now!

Welcome! Triumph 1300s are great little cars - I had one myself earlier in the year. Sold it to a mate and was going to have it back but one of the driveshaft rubber couplings had had it and neither of us had time to sort it so it got sold elsewhere. I'd have another though if one came up. Never driven a Sunny though - they've never really held much appeal for me to be honest...

True, Sunny's are extremely reliable and easy to pilot but definitely a contender for the most boring car made. The earlier cars have a bit more charm though and I run a C-reg B11 as my everyday motor.I remember the first time I took my 1300 out after passing my test. I got halfway down the street and my dad had to bring it back - I just couldn't get on with it at all! Soon learnt to master the 60s way though and I'd never part with it. Such a fab little car.

I should never have passed my driving test.

When I was reversing around a corner I went up onto the kerb.

At one point the examiner said, "take the next right turn," and then a few seconds later said, more loudly, "take the next right turn." I said, "yes, ok," and he replied "but you're indicating left". Don't know how I managed to indicate the wrong way.

Then at the end, when it was time to ask me the theory questions he asked a question about how to use mini roundabouts. I gave two wrong answers and each time he asked me if I wanted to rethink the answer, instead of just marking it wrong.

Poor chap must have been short on his quota to release me into the wild after that.

I passed my test in Nove 1994 in a K-reg Sunny 5-door which although it was bigger than most learner-mobiles was so smooth and easy to drive I went straight through first time.

I FAILED my first test in a K-plate sunny 1400, the last of the carb ones before they went single point injection. I took my test after about 10 lessons... My instructor was going through a marriage break-up at the time, always smelled of booze, never shaved and wasn't very "with it" - he did take me on a frozen car park to learn handbrake turns and car control though!I basically failed because of the car - the automatic choke on it was buggered for about the last 3 lessons I had and he didn't get it fixed for my test - you had to trickle the throttle on and off very gently to avoid fits of judders. I failed for geting about 7 minors for "failing to make sufficient progress" after cruising several miles at 55mph behind an HGV down a dual carriageway because I was too scared to put my foot down incase the car had a fit - normally I would have gone straight up to 70 in that way you do when you're a teenager - as fast as legally possible whilst learning, and then far too fast as soon as you pass.I wasn't very happy at failing on that so I didn't have any more lessons, I went back a couple of weeks later and passed with one minor in my own 1985 Fiesta 1.6 diesel with wheels painted in hammerite by my dad cos they were rusty!I had a 120k E-reg 1600 sunny shitter on the road for a bit a few years later as a student, but that was crap as well - I ended up having the engine in bits within weeks after the head gasket let go spectacularly on the M6.I've pretty much hated front wheel drive sunnys ever since... Having been racing bangers for a few years (yeah yeah - boo! hiss!), I finally got my revenge on the sunny when I raced one a few weeks ago - a crusty K-plater just like the one my driving instructer owned 13 years back!

Having been racing bangers for a few years (yeah yeah - boo! hiss!), I finally got my revenge on the sunny when I raced one a few weeks ago - a crusty K-plater just like the one my driving instructer owned 13 years back!

I don't think anyone on here is going to boo or hiss at you for racing a scruffy K-plate Nissan Sunny...

Took my test in 1981 & passed in a gold 1979 Mazda Montrose 4 door - my Dads company car, it had a few lucky escapes returning home from teenage parties once the L plates were gone. :roll: I really liked that car and it's Rover P5 style wrap-around rear screen!

Posted Image

ou're supposed to be allowed 15 minors, I passed 1st time with 8.

I thought it was fewer than that? I somehow managed to pass my bus test with just the one minor, insufficient checking of mirrors I think which is horse crap seeing as your eyes are on the mirrors almost as much as the road ahead in a double-decker.

Posted Image

I failed for getting about 7 minors for "failing to make sufficient progress"

Unless it changed, you're supposed to be allowed 15 minors, I passed 1st time with 8.
Ahh - BUT you are (or were) only allowed a certain number of minors in one catagory... I think you could pass with loads of them scattered around several boxes, but not all clustered in the one box because several minors for the same thing = one major!

• 4 years later...
Joseph. I did say this the other day, if your going to bump a 5 year thread at least make a effort to try and add some content instead of just writing BUMP

I did. I thought it was an interesting topic, the first time I'd seen it - therefore I added my input. Mazda 3. I'm not 'bumping' all five year threads, only one which I find is of interest...

Oh cock, sorry in that case, it didn't see that whilst looking on my phone.

No bother :D Just thought it was an interesting thread to comment on - better that than me regurgitating it as my own thread!

Passed my Institute of Advanced Motorists Test in a 1.0 Polo recently - difficult to 'make progress', I tell ya!