FWD gurus needed to diagnose my problem

Hello fellow shiters.EXCELSIOR and all that bollocks.Now, my C4 is giving me gip. Epic Gaza style gip.I hit *something* on the M56 which I originally thought had damaged my sill flanges, but hadn't.I didn't see what it was, but I suspect it was an errant ratchet strap.Tracking is out (a lot) and whenever I back out on full lock the front wheel's toe (think that's the correct term) changes and hops and judders under load as I straighten up.As it hit near the inner side of the wheel, is this a goosed outer CV or a buggered driveshaft?Doesn't make any unterward grinding noises, not even on the ultra revealing Charcoal Lane which is literally the smoothest tarmac in all of Trafford.Any insight would be useful. It's going to be fucking expensive whatever it is, every damn part on the car is at least 30% more than the equivalent Volvo or Peugeot parts. Cheapest I can find rear discs (to replace the rear disc warpage) is £67. Per disc.And I can't bloody cheat and put 307 HDi discs on they're either. They're 247 mm as opposed to my 249 mm and a lot cheaper per side.

If the tracking has been put out by whatever you hit, it's more than likely that you have damaged or bent something on the suspension or steering, could be something as minor as a track rod end, or a bottom arm. However could be the steering rack or mountings.Short of getting it up an a ramp and having a good look side to side, it could be one of many things.Try putting the steering on full lock and looking at the then exposed components. If something has hit it with enough force to bend something, there is likely to be some evidence of impact damage to the relevant component. On full lock when reversing or going forward, you will get 'wheel hop' as the tyre tries to make up lost ground due to the comparative angle of the wheel being at odds with the direction of the other wheel.Either way, I'm sorry to say, but i doubt that there is going to be a quick or easy fix.

As it hit near the inner side of the wheel, is this a goosed outer CV or a buggered driveshaft?

Neither, I suspect - sounds more like you may have damaged your lower wishbone ore one of its fastenings, very possibly the suspension bush. Best way to find out is to jack it up, sit it on an axle stand (safety first!) then see if you can feel any movement in it. Try wiggling the road wheel about - failing that, get underneath with a pry bar. If you can find a reasonably strong assistant to do the wiggling whilst you look for the movement it'll probably be a lot easier.

Oh bollocks.It's booked in next week to have the discs done and I've warned my friendly non franchised place that something is carked on it.*Prepares for epic wallet buggery*

*Prepares for epic wallet buggery*

With any luck, the bits won't be too expensive - new lower wishbones seem to go for about 40 quid on ebay. I reckon it'll be a couple of hours labour to change it, unless there's something unusual that's not apparent from the pictures. (Wouldn't surprise me on a Citroen - if it's anything like swmbo's old BX you'll probably have to start dismantling from the rear number plate light and work forwards!)

*Prepares for epic wallet buggery*

With any luck, the bits won't be too expensive - new lower wishbones seem to go for about 40 quid on ebay. I reckon it'll be a couple of hours labour to change it, unless there's something unusual that's not apparent from the pictures. (Wouldn't surprise me on a Citroen - if it's anything like swmbo's old BX you'll probably have to start dismantling from the rear number plate light and work forwards!)
I'd entrust the work to my local non franchise. Fatha watanabe works dead close so can get into work. I wouldn't trust myself not to bugger it up.My local place has a qual scheme whereby if you source your own parts and pay cash they knock the VAT and another 10% off.Plus, they know me as 'the fat guy with all that shit' which means I must be a fairly regular punter.

Interesting.Did it make any kind of 'odd noise' beforehand?We have an ongoing issue with wifey's Picasso, which clonks first turn of the wheel but exhibits no other symptoms, and diagnosis on a ramp show nothing wrong. All of which is totally irrelevant, though I suspect a C4 and a picyourashole are probably quite similar under the skin......

though I suspect a C4 and a picyourashole are probably quite similar under the skin......

Probby right though the first piccys are more akin to the shite old Xsara - a truly gross car - it's day of shitedome is coming. I think the C4 is possibly more like the new type of piccasso and a whole host of Pugs for that matter and if you're getting bits from the stealer find the equivalent Peugeot part and get it from them - it's cheaper for an unexplained reason. Also bits of the axles etc are more generic between the 2 brands.

Gut feeling is the tie rod itself, the part that screws into the steering rack. Get it on full lock and peer in the gaps both sides with a torch. Anything bent will be obvious. As for Pog's Picassole, I reckon lower balljoints.............it's almost a 60% failure rate for these on the ones I have tested!!

We have an ongoing issue with wifey's Picasso, which clonks first turn of the wheel but exhibits no other symptoms, and diagnosis on a ramp show nothing wrong.

We change loads of strut top mounts on these, causes clonks early on, but then turns into very notchy steering. Can be very dificult to diagnose,as there is no play or movement, Also common for fractured coil springs,they have a strange cage at the lower end of the spring,this was a recall on earlier Peugeots and Citroens,as the spring used to go over the top of the spring seat and burst the tyre... sometimes difficult to spot, so you really have to feel for a break. had 2 C3's this week with this problem-they don't have the "cage" . 1 wiped out the tyre and CV boot. Expensive!You can access Citroen's parts fiche online -same as the dealers use here: http://service.citroen.com/And Peugeot's Here:http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/They share part numbers for most things, so you can cross refer,and use the handiest dealer for parts!

We have an ongoing issue with wifey's Picasso, which clonks first turn of the wheel but exhibits no other symptoms, and diagnosis on a ramp show nothing wrong.

We change loads of strut top mounts on these, causes clonks early on, but then turns into very notchy steering. Can be very dificult to diagnose,as there is no play or movement, Also common for fractured coil springs,they have a strange cage at the lower end of the spring,this was a recall on earlier Peugeots and Citroens,as the spring used to go over the top of the spring seat and burst the tyre... sometimes difficult to spot, so you really have to feel for a break. had 2 C3's this week with this problem-they don't have the "cage" . 1 wiped out the tyre and CV boot. Expensive!You can access Citroen's parts fiche online -same as the dealers use here: http://service.citroen.com/And Peugeot's Here:http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/They share part numbers for most things, so you can cross refer,and use the handiest dealer for parts!
Don't have a username and password you can PM me do you tiff?

Hmm. I'll have to look into those two possible points. The citroen 'people' said it was something to do with the brakes when we asked them, this being clearly bollocks I discounted their professional opinon straight away... played that game before with them when I had my Berlingo - they reckoned the random total loss of all electrics was because of the clutch... cue several trips to the stealer which never really sorted it. The leasing company picked up the tab for the labour but we still had to cough an extortionate amount for a courtesy van - and they didn't even have the decency to give us a like-for-like instead providing a 1.9 non-turbo which was a shock after the HDi. All the palarva meant the van was sent back to the lease pool shortly after, shame, as we'd totally mullered it. :lol: I don't relish the chance to delve about in the Picasso's grubby bits, it seems to have been designed to be totally DIY proof with everything inaccessible and/or made out of cheese. Oh and guess how long it took me to find the battery :roll: let's hope it doesn't go flat (though that's probably fair likely as the car hasn't been used for 3 weeks and is currently doing a good igloo impersonation....)

Modern Citroens and Peugeot's are an absolute nightmare, but nowhere near as bad a s renaults. I F*&^%$& HATE them.Actually, I hate ALL modern cars. Spend my entire days sometimes with a laptop trying to put lights out .. ABS, Airbag,Engine management,emissions control.. EGR,AMM,ASR,ABD,ABS,DSC,TCC,EBD.. all stuff that never used to go wrong because it wasn't there!On my old cars I can spend entire happy days trying to put lights ON! Spotlights,foglights,map reading lights,minilites....A new Ford Focus with a 1.6 engine, twin cam, multipoint injectin and all the other unwanted,unneeded garbage has 99BHP.a 1982 Cavalier with a varijet carb had 90BHP.Less weight,more room and if carefully tuned and set up-probably the same emissions...whats it all about.Getting into a rant here. I'm going for a fag to calm down... :evil:

Oh and guess how long it took me to find the battery Rolling Eyes let's hope it doesn't go flat

You will find it has a handy positive terminal under the bonnet and a negative on the front panel for jump starting... confidence ,eh!

• 2 weeks later...

Car is sorted. Turned out after a more thorough INSPECSHUN that I'd wrecked my track rod end. And the tracking, which was out by a shitload.Mechanical genius TEH SCOTTISH ANDY sorted it out for me in about 37.2 seconds whilst muttering something about the whole car being 'fucking bollocks'.Got some rear discs off ebay for £50 delivered, and then was given the wrong pads by GSF. Has anyone returned stuff to them before?Despite being greased up to fuck the pads still squeak, and I get random 'clonks' from the calipers whilst in slow speed traffic.Least it drives straight now though. Brakes are far better, rear doesn't skip around any more.'gunna gunna' wheelbearingy noise turned out to be my OMG sticky GSD3 Goodyear Eagles eating up the road surface like a deranged videotape.

I have not had so many problems with GSF, but i have found with euro car parts that the following procedure saves hours of farting about.1) go in the shop and buy the parts you want. 2) come out with the parts, wait 2 mins then go back in the shop claiming they dont fit.3) they wil look in the book, scratch their heads, talk bollocks then give you a load of other bits instead.4) take THESE bits home and fit them to your car, they will almost certainly fit first time round.ECP are CHRONIC for giving you the wrong bits, i would say more than 50% of my dealings with them have involved taking stuff back and swapping it for the right parts 2 mins before they close for the weekend. WAQNERS