Autoshite's Iconic Engines

2MB

I would also like to make mention of my love of 2 stroke engines, preferably in a bike frame but I'll accept Trabbies, Wartburgs and SAABs efforts as well. They just sound so 'right'. I think that's why I like rotarys as they sound a bit like like a 2 smoke! Oh, and all the KTM love can fuck right off as a Yam 465 is THE King! :)

If the Yam 465 is the king, then the DKW RT125 engine must be the Emperor of all motorbike 2 stroke engines. Due to war reparations  it was probably used by more manufacturers than any other engine.

It's incredible reliability, simplicity and ease of maintenance helped prolong it's production life (from pre-WWII to the 1990's) and arguably prolonged the life of the manufacturers who used it (or in Yamahas case started them off in the business - if it wasn't for RT125 the 465 wouldn't have existed).

BSA, Royal Enfield, Harley-Davidson, CZ, Neval (Minsk), Yamaha, that Polish bike (WFM?) and of course MZ (the spiritual successor) all used it. And others...

All true. But I do love 2 smokes. Also, everything 300 two stroke says is also true and very valid. But, they were very powerful... at the top end. Yes, they were bastards to ride but they were huge fun when the big hit came in.

Modern bikes with powervalves have softened the hit and taken  some of the pant-wetting fun out of them! :) 

From my own experiences, the Jaguar AJ6 deserves an honourable mention for the sterling service it gives in the XJ-S and XJ40. They're smooth, powerful, economical and very robust indeed. They almost never go wrong and shrug off the complete lack of maintenance mouldering old Jags seem to get. They pretty much always outlast the car. They're the last engine Jaguar bothered to make look nice too. 

Detailed22.jpg

The AJ6 tends to be a bit overlooked, with all the attention going to the more glamorous V12 and more historic XK engine - with its racing heritage and E-Type association.  The AJ6 is a lot easier to own than either of them!

From my own experiences, the Jaguar AJ6 deserves an honourable mention for the sterling service it gives in the XJ-S and XJ40. They're smooth, powerful, economical and very robust indeed. They almost never go wrong and shrug off the complete lack of maintenance mouldering old Jags seem to get. They pretty much always outlast the car. They're the last engine Jaguar bothered to make look nice too. 

Detailed22.jpg

The AJ6 tends to be a bit overlooked, with all the attention going to the more glamorous V12 and more historic XK engine - with its racing heritage and E-Type association.  The AJ6 is a lot easier to own than either of them!

yes this is a great suggestion though i would also like to add the AJ16's in with this.

the last proper jaguar engine with the correct number of cylinders.

AJ16, powerful and smooth with it. 

hmmmmm, a proper jaguar engine,

post-18270-0-35084800-1442509563_thumb.jpg

post-18270-0-84779100-1442509611_thumb.jpg

I'd say you ruined it with your regular oil and filter changes. They are designed for the French attitude towards car maintenance,

hence allergic to fresh oil and filters.

I'd disagree, where else would you find more oil, filters, tyres and accessories for the french stable mates at knock down prices long with the weekly groceries than in Carrefour.  

• 6 months later...

Agreed.

See also the Cummins L10, M11 and N14

Agreed also. It's amazing how many are in use around the world in everything from buses to powerboats, tractors to 'Merican RVs. They sound flippin superb as well.

I was in a tractor dealerships a couple of weeks ago and an early Case quadtrak was getting the works, about the only thing not worn out was the N14 in the front.

The B series Cummins as fitted to the Roadrunner etc is a goodun too.

Oui. A valved pulse jet rather then a ram jet but a toy compared to the I sold last year with a 175mm diameter "exhaust". My ex-boss's one was 160 mph radio controlled model aeroplane.

do you make them? I have fancied doing that for a number of years but unsure which plans were any good. Any pointers?

do you make them? I have fancied doing that for a number of years but unsure which plans were any good. Any pointers?

How far away is your nearest neighbour? I could lend you the "toy" one if you promise not to be from MI6 or mention the Cuban missile crisis. You'll need fuel like a jam jar of unleaded + some compressed air for starting  + something to spark the spark plug (I may have) and ear defenders.

Is that the modernish Cummins with the individual rocker covers ?

They use these in New Holland tractors but badged as Fiat Powertrain Tech ( FPT) they are as hard as nails !

The B series and C series had individual rocker covers.

The M11 is a bored & stroked L10 so is externally identical but only early ones had mechanical injection. Later ones were mostly electronic. The N14 spanned the life of the L10 and M11 so came in various flavours of injection. Single piece rocker cover which was at a 45 degree-ish angle.

The L10 was famous in the UK in buses / coaches like the Leyland Olympian and Tigers and some trucks. M11 only got used in trucks with the exception of L964MSC - a Lothian Volvo Olympian reengined experimentally. The N14 was used I believe in some big Foden trucks and some coaches got them as reengines but is most famous to us in horizontal format slung under a train.

How far away is your nearest neighbour? I could lend you the "toy" one if you promise not to be from MI6 or mention the Cuban missile crisis. You'll need fuel like a jam jar of unleaded + some compressed air for starting  + something to spark the spark plug (I may have) and ear defenders.

please please pretty please! I have about six acres at work and regularly run hovercraft and cars with no exhausts, not to mention igniting small quantities of hydrogen and oxygen (for scientific purposes only) so a bit of noise isn't an issue.

please please pretty please! I have about six acres at work and regularly run hovercraft and cars with no exhausts, not to mention igniting small quantities of hydrogen and oxygen (for scientific purposes only) so a bit of noise isn't an issue.

Can I come to work with you one day?!

All true. But I do love 2 smokes. Also, everything 300 two stroke says is also true and very valid. But, they were very powerful... at the top end. Yes, they were bastards to ride but they were huge fun when the big hit came in.

Modern bikes with powervalves have softened the hit and taken some of the pant-wetting fun out of them! :)