Strange ways of doing it.

cros

I like small cars because there isn't so much room for stupid design. However I've now got a couple of medium sized cars and they haven't disappointed with their foibles.

The Sunbeam Talbot (latterly just Sunbeam) used the gearbox from a pre-war Hillman of half its power. There it is, dwarfed by the overdrive. The odd feature is that they tipped it on its side in order to adapt it to column change gears. Why they wanted a column shift on what was meant to be a sporting saloon is hard to understand. The Americans found it so disagreeable that they fitted many with a floor change, and quite a few over here get modified with various conversions, some type 9 Ford, some using later Rootes boxes mounted right way up.

post-7547-0-37505100-1441570369_thumb.jpg

post-7547-0-85060000-1441570487_thumb.jpg

Perkins Differential Diesel Engine. Used a seriously big supercharger to increase low end torque to the degree that the gearbox became mostly redundant. Was tested in a lorry, but proved too expensive. If the K series had received some of the development that the 6.354 underwent to endure this amount of boost there would have been nothing to talk about on Autoshite.

post-7547-0-77275900-1441878725_thumb.jpeg

I like small cars because there isn't so much room for stupid design. However I've now got a couple of medium sized cars and they haven't disappointed with their foibles.

The Sunbeam Talbot (latterly just Sunbeam) used the gearbox from a pre-war Hillman of half its power. There it is, dwarfed by the overdrive. The odd feature is that they tipped it on its side in order to adapt it to column change gears. Why they wanted a column shift on what was meant to be a sporting saloon is hard to understand.

Because column change is the only acceptable method to change gears, if one must change gears oneself, which is unacceptable on a general principle.

Honda  N600 has a round the corner belt as well.

Eccentric cam drive would be much quieter than a thrashy chain.

I've never liked the fact that Triumph (and presumably some other cars) steering swivel is a threaded joint, such that the car goes up and down as your steer one way or the other.

GSJ266.jpg

Honda N600 has a round the corner belt as well.

Eccentric cam drive would be much quieter than a thrashy chain.

I've never liked the fact that Triumph (and presumably some other cars) steering swivel is a threaded joint, such that the car goes up and down as your steer one way or the other.

GSJ266.jpg

Never thought about that aspect of the threaded joint, but on Minors they just go down if you forget to grease them.

Apologies for being pedantic but the desmodromic system is much older than Ducati. Like many "new" ideas the pioneers had already tried it. In fact Austin made a desmodromic engine (all be it a marine engine) before WW1.

I think Mercedes and Maserati also made them in the 50's.

Ducati have made their name with this system but I'm not sure all the faffing about is worth much as other companies can acheive similar power and torque outputs "conventionally".

Back when VAG engineers made proper cars and were allowed to indulge a passion for weird engineering.

We see your decadent American Root's blower.

We shall build our own eccentric scroll supercharger, and call it the G-Lader.

turbo_g_lader.jpg

pic_allgemein_funktion_funktionsdiagramm

katie022.jpg

Because it's crank driven it delivers boost in line with engine revs, so there is no lag, just a distinctive whine.

Unfortunately maximum 60k rebuild intervals, general fragility and no other companies being interested led to it being quietly shelved after a few years of fine service. We'll never hear it's dulcet tones again.

But you don't have to listen to me. Here's Tiff Needell and team: