Teething Troubles - Astra

New POD

Don't panic. No big problems.

We have to head 440 miles round trip to Cardiff tomorrow to drop daughter off, only 3 weeks before term starts.

So I thought I'd have the Wheels balanced. Amazingly the original GM weights were on the wheels, with tyres replaced not so long ago.  Who does that? Replaces tyres and doesn't get them balanced correctly.

No wonder there was a little wobble at 85

All lovely and sorted.

Then I thought the trip back from Derby today had consumed a lot of fuel. And is that petrol I smell ?

and what's that fluid under the car.

Yes the ORIGINAL petrol filter, had a rust patch. Petrol leaking out when engine running and fuel under pressure.

So off to Euro car parts for a Wait in Line. FFS 20 people on the phone, and 1 person at the till. And despite me reserving a bosch one, they actually only had a Mann one in Stock.

Weird Spring clip design holds the pipes in, (I bet there's a special tool for removing them? - I used my fingers and a small screw driver) and a torx headed self tapping screw holds the clamp around it. (lucky that Aldi had some on sale last week and I bought 2 sets, one for my dad's birthday and one for me)  

30 mins under the car and it's as good as it gets. No leaks.

I would personally rate Mann filters as better than Bosch ones so they have done you a favour there.

Fingers crossed it's all sorted

They said that too. I said "Well there's no point in trying to tell me the Bosch ones are better if you have none. No that'll be fine, I'm sure you don't stay in business if you make or sell crap"

To be honest I'm not sure where my nearest dealer is.

Wait. I'll google it.

Ainsdale. 4 miles  Well that's a new one on me.

Ormskirk 10 miles.

Liverpool - 200 yrds from ECP's:  DOH 

Anyway.  The petrol gauge is also wildly inaccurate.

Started Journey yesterday with 120 miles on the trip computer, and 3/4 of a tank.

Got to Monmouth, and had 1/3 on the gauge. By Newport the warning light was flashing. with 285 on clock (yes we lost some in the earlier leak, but the last 1/3 took 25 miles to go)

Filled up to the brim, 40 litres (does that mean there was 10 litres in there ?)

Then Drove to Cardiff, did a few local errands, then HOME a  total distance of 255 miles, and the gauge shows. 

1 mm lower than Full. i.e. 19/20th of a tank.

I really love that when you go in ECP and theres one lad serving and an office full of folk fannying about in the background. Last time I was in the derby one there was some fucking TWAT asking the clueless goon behind the counter if they had any go-faster bits for an Impreza. He didn't even know what bits he wanted FFS. The lad ummed and ahhed at this open-ended question and eventually asked him what the reg number, was then tapped away at the computer for ages (it probably wasn't even switched on) before answering with a vague 'not really' kind of 'meh'-like noise, as using actual words would have been too definitive. I just stood in the queue with half a dozen other hapless idiots and watched my life & luch hour tick away to nowt.

Even when Im collecting a click and collect order I can be 40 mins in there just waiting...

Granted i spend 10 mins now checking what they give me but I move out the way to do it, but the shopkeep doesnt serve anyone, just waits for me to check. Dont worry pal, ill re join the queue if i find something amiss

I have a Halfords and a Vauxhall trade club card should you ever need to avail yourself of them, Dock Road VX are the only ones doing trade club now , I live in Huyton and work in Bootle. 

I'll try and blag a VX trade Club Card at Pentagon in Derby (where I am midweek currently, and is 1/2 mile from my Digs), but if I need anything BIG I'll let you know.