Chod North East. Spotting through time.

Jim Bell

On 11/19/2022 at 7:04 PM, Jim Bell said:

Marlborough Terrace, Newcastle. 

FB_IMG_1668884565151.thumb.jpg.4b8192fe0dc80480eeef18178612c9ff.jpg

That takes me back, my boozer (first as a customer then a barman) was further down the road; The Dog and Parrot although my time in the 90s it was the Tut n Shive.   Had many a takeaway from Chilli, although when it was closed after a late night ‘Scotch John’s chippy for such delights as haggis and  chips,  sausage and chips, chips and chips… happy days

51 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Yer gonna have t'explain that one son

The Dog and Parrot was renamed into one of Whitbread’s finest* chains, the Tut and Shive, until renaming back to the Dog in the mid noughties (when they sold all their pubs and focused on shite coffee).

So for the locals it’s been the Dog, the Tut and now the Dog again.

55 minutes ago, Dabooka said:

The Dog and Parrot was renamed into one of Whitbread’s finest* chains, the Tut and Shive, until renaming back to the Dog in the mid noughties (when they sold all their pubs and focused on shite coffee).

I arranged to meet the lads in the Dog once but they meant the Dog and Parrot and I went to the Barking Dog over the road by mistake and a massive transvestite with a big bushy moustache in a disco ball minidress asked me if I wanted a number on the domino card. I took two and did not win. 

1 hour ago, Dabooka said:

Nope, not explained those words yet.

1 hour ago, Jim Bell said:

I arranged to meet the lads in the Dog once but they meant the Dog and Parrot and I went to the Barking Dog over the road by mistake and a massive transvestite with a big bushy moustache in a disco ball minidress asked me if I wanted a number on the domino card. I took two and did not win. 

Ha ha! Yes a world apart those two boozers! I went in once and found myself being accosted by Danny la Rue and friends 

38 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Nope, not explained those words yet.

Ah, you mean in relation to the beer barrel? The two differing holes found on a cask, the tut being the tap aperture (well the removable bung element) and the shive being the uppermost part which is vented (tapped) and often pegged with a spike (hence the Tap and Spile chain of boozers).

It’s been a while so I may be rusty

10 hours ago, Dabooka said:

Ah, you mean in relation to the beer barrel? The two differing holes found on a cask, the tut being the tap aperture (well the removable bung element) and the shive being the uppermost part which is vented (tapped) and often pegged with a spike (hence the Tap and Spile chain of boozers).

Am very familiar with tap and spile, had no idea that is what tut and shive alluded to.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2022 at 8:44 PM, gm said:

wow - i remember it opening - were there really folk still using allegros as daily drivers ? i was a bus wanker back in those days, couldn’t even afford an allegro :) 

83/84, my manager picked me up in company 1500 Allagro to take me in to Caffyns Seaford. It flew, like the 1.3 Marina my area manager at Longlife had.

TL;DR Service well, drive hard, live long...

• 2 months later...
On 27/02/2023 at 13:09, tooSavvy said:

Looks like that image (^^ above) will soon repeat itself....

*Unless they push them straight into the sea.... 🤣🤣

Ahh..... 4001 carriage set is being pensioned off @Stephensons Rail museum, behind Silverlink.

*must drop by to check if the 'omage 2 Metro' will faithfully maintain the long, mournful history of 'meuggwahhhhh' ( doors now closing) trumpet.... We have been listening to it [summer only/back house windows open] for an AGE 🤐

🚙💨

IMG_20230312_170343.jpg