Chod North East. Spotting through time.

Jim Bell

Guest Lord Sward

I was born there! Still go up sometimes.

Never mind, eh?

Seriously though, when was the last time you were there?  Its changed hugely in the last year.

Guest Lord Sward

For 15 years 'we' could never go to the Metrocentre as it was in wor lasses' catchment area, meaning wretched kids recognising her.

Guest Lord Sward

Having said that, it used to be our nearest ASDA what with being just over the bridge and all, back when asda was the red quadrant.

I started my motor trade sales career selling Suzukis outside of M&S.

This is going to sound very sad but Intu have ruined the Metrocentre and Eldon Square, all those lovely 70s/80s details is now extremely dull and sterile beige/white*.

I'm sure red quadrant ASDA was a Gateway at some point? Or was it Carrefour?

*I know, it's just a shopping centre.

Still can't get my head round Northumberland Street being the A1!

PS, wiki says you are right about the asda.

The first phase of Metrocentre was opened on 28 April 1986 - the red mall. At the time it featured a large Carrefour supermarket, which later became Gateway and subsequently Asda. The Metrocentre also featured the first out of town Marks & Spencer.

I used to frequent The Model Shop too,  they moved to a smaller shop over by The Life Centre for a bit before closing down completely.  I remember buying a Minitrix 27 that had been repainted into T+WPTE colours along with a pair of Scalextrix Metro 6R4's.

As far as I know the only modelshop still up in the north is down at Chester Moor next to the A167,  I keep meaning to pop back in at some point, it was Deltic models last time I went.

I haven't been to the Metrocentre for years,  I think the last time I was up there was for a job interview at a security company based just outside.  I was a bit late after failing to appreciate how long the bus would take from Gateshead and how far the walk would be from the bus station,  suffice to say I didn't get it.

That pathetic motorway site is brilliant,  it's great to spot the gaps in modernish schemes that have been left for roads that never arrived on Google maps.

It might be for the best that the rest of the Central Motorways were never built? The CME is deeply unpleasant to drive on.

I just had a read through the "tyneside story" bit of the pathetic motorway site - as well as the CMW (which I knew about, F*ck the bypass save the Doll T-shirt and all...) there was an east west underground link proposed, and a planned central motorway BYPASS (yeah, bypassing a motorway!) but it all got binned because the Metro got all the funding (and it was a shit idea)

thumb500300.jpg

street.jpg

Here's another A1 goes up Northumberland Street pic, 1969 this time (according to the page I found it on...)

Anyone remember when the A1 used to go through the tyne tunnel and the current A1/western bypass was the A69?