Chod North East. Spotting through time.

Jim Bell

Guest Lord Sward

Theres a tale where he was asked to be the compare for the North East truck and bus christmas party down in Tall Trees.  He refused payment and instead said he'd gladly 'do it for a drink'.  He went down a storm on stage, but the next day when the firm was presented with his bar bill, it was decided that they couldn't afford not to pay him if he ever came back...

Not chod, but sort of related.

The original Haymarket Metro Station was so designed to take the weight of the Central Motorway West which should have gone above it, but it was never built. A "flying motorway" would have looked so odd there.

Haymarket+1.jpg?imgmax=720

Part of St James' Park would have been needed to build it, more's the pity it was never done.

Nicer looking than the monstrosity that is there now.

Yes! 

And the Wankhouse theatre on Westgate Road that got burned out.

Never had the intestinal fortitude to go in mind. 

xXA0GGp.gif

Bet it smelled faintly of bleach.

yep, been in there ! in my defence, i was only 16, me and a mate did it for a dare / bet - it was just as sleazy inside as it looks from the street. we didn't stay for long, and no, we didn't buy anything !

• 4 weeks later...

h0OxEGX.png

Shop at Binns - I thought it was compulsory that every bus in the North East had this on the front?

Further south, in Hull, there was a Svens Books on a cross roads. One day I was waiting for the lights when an adolescent went into Svens; a few seconds later he literally flew out of the door parallel to the pavement, landed on his front, picked himself up and wandered nonchalantly down the road.

The original Haymarket Metro Station was so designed to take the weight of the Central Motorway West which should have gone above it, but it was never built. A "flying motorway" would have looked so odd there.

Haymarket+1.jpg?imgmax=720

Part of St James' Park would have been needed to build it, more's the pity it was never done.

Have some further CMW info: http://pathetic.org.uk/unbuilt/central_motorway_west/

If it is, it won't be there long!

I don't remember a Greggs in scotswood while I lived there though, nearest one was on Adelade Terrace. Great for cheese pasties on the way to work.

Think its Armstrong Road.  According to the people I stole the pics off.  The run of shops opposite the old Shafto maybe, but I'm not sure.