Chod North East. Spotting through time.

Jim Bell

Fantastic.  Never knew it as a cinema but I only moved up in '86 and was either Gateshead or the West End for me.  Rarely found myself up there aside from the odd trip to the bike shop and if I recall an RS Components that was just up the road. Probably around 1990 onwards

2 hours ago, Dabooka said:

Fantastic.  Never knew it as a cinema but I only moved up in '86 and was either Gateshead or the West End for me.  Rarely found myself up there aside from the odd trip to the bike shop and if I recall an RS Components that was just up the road. Probably around 1990 onwards

Yeah man. The Apollo. 

Byker-Apollo-Cinema.thumb.jpg.24921b32a47c35db72596a7a8c1fcf9e.jpg

large.jpeg.3f7c58f2fbd7eac7f3b426667fbd6607.jpeg

Fuck knows when it finally closed.  I'm only 45.  

• 1 month later...
On 28/04/2021 at 21:32, Jim Bell said:

South Shields seafront. 1960s probs. 

Definitely pre Minchellas.

FB_IMG_1619641660051.jpg.32414df3b8655b5447322607aba772c1.jpg

Drove along there the other weekend....

The bandstand @Frankies cafe + gypsies green cycle 'velodrome' are still fixtures from my pre-teen yoof ;)

..... and past Whitburn Garage site.

I recall the bus depot, for Economic, just before Seaburn on the right [going south] #All Gone

I can remember going into the complex of buildings/streets that were opposite Eldon Square (left in picture) because a gun shop [air guns/pistols] was in there... Bagnall & Kirkwood, I'm sure, relocated to down from Theatre Royal.

All totally nuked for... Ta Daaaah... Eldon Sq Shopping Centre [aye, I peeked through the little grilles in the wooden shuttering as they poured the founds/underground access roads] then, more recently, drove around those very catacombs to do WVM till repairs... And then... You die :(

Memories, eh ;)