Chod North East. Spotting through time.

Jim Bell

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jim Bell said:

Streamline Garage, South Shields. 

FB_IMG_1588536190086.thumb.jpg.532cb3d080884657b40cf95dbdadad7a.jpg

Behind Fowler St. IIRC......

When I began my apprenticeship at Vickers Ltd, Scotswood Training School (1973) the pubs along Scottsie were still up (terraces gone = see: Likely Lads/Get Carter). All pubs on opp side of road from river except 'Hydraulic Crane' <right next to door, into works, for my school>.

When I lived in the west end my pal and I used to, on occasion, frequent the Hydraulic in it's final form. It was under the ownership of a certain family back then. This would have been early / mid 90s I reckon. It was definitely during the ram raiding peak on Tyneside!

I believe it was the last surviving pub on Scotswood Road at the time? 

On 2/4/2020 at 11:21 PM, Jim Bell said:

Sunderland. 

FB_IMG_1580858205438.thumb.jpg.b061a8ca763b349e696a2db11d74bd4f.jpg

Southwick Green. 

FB_IMG_1580714311870.thumb.jpg.7db3bf3d62de53e1488ed0de357971a8.jpg

North Shields Fish Quay. 

FB_IMG_1580638673044.thumb.jpg.991d1ebf1364ec51ebdba31be3584169.jpg

FB_IMG_1580638668181.thumb.jpg.8bb43af4d0bd6c47ebd6533677f8426f.jpg

Bonus ABC cinema in Newcastle. 

FB_IMG_1580714178937.thumb.jpg.df04cfa4b0fbeb3e5cb803bb0ce62e65.jpg

Well I lied, it didn't take all day at all; done by 4, and I even found time to make a couple of calls and read a few emails. Fantastic stuff.

Is that ABC cinema not the old one in Blunderland, now whoring itself out as 'The Point' entertainment* centre? It looks like Holmside and has a 567 phone number.   I confess to not knowing Sunderland all that well at the time and I cannot even recall where the ABC was in Newcastle right now. Bottom of West Road opposite Tilleys? I think it went to a Cannon before shuttering.

11 minutes ago, Dabooka said:

Well I lied, it didn't take all day at all; done by 4, and I even found time to make a couple of calls and read a few emails. Fantastic stuff.

Is that ABC cinema not the old one in Blunderland, now whoring itself out as 'The Point' entertainment* centre? It looks like Holmside and has a 567 phone number.   I confess to not knowing Sunderland all that well at the time and I cannot even recall where the ABC was in Newcastle right now. Bottom of West Road opposite Tilleys? I think it went to a Cannon before shuttering.

That would make more sense man. 

On 5/4/2020 at 4:04 PM, Dabooka said:

Aye definitely looks like what is now the point at holmeside!

21 hours ago, tooSavvy said:

Gladston (picture with GAS showroom) still there......

Gladston's isn't there anymore. It's some sort of drop in centre for mothers and kids.

The british gas show room is now The Pow Burn which is a massive pub a bit like Wetherspoons.

• 3 weeks later...