OLD OAK COMMON '06

andrew e

Sorry about the subject! Anyhow from back in late 2006, on a training day with one of the mobile managers having a completely un-related to the training mouch about. Because we could :wink:

I dare say the 31's, 37's and 47's have been gas axed by now, but they might still be there. The Crimson Western Champion is in fine fettle however! The building is the Old Oak Common power signal box, puportedly stripped and full of asbestos. However as it was locked down inside the inpenatrable Eurostar North Pole depot, it ]was likely to stay that way except Eurostar have moved out and its now vacant - be a good explore for somebody... Sorry that some shots are wobbly, this was all 2mp Sony camera phone! If anybody wants to link them somewhere appreciated feel free.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Excellent. Odd to see a 58 in such bad state, to me they'll always be quite recent. I have to say the grey railfreight livery leaves me cold - much rather see the evocotive blue and yellow standard livery. When I was a nipper, I took lots of shots of old trains, including an APT and loads of Class 40's awaiting the chop. I'll have to dig them up sometime. I have to say now though, I no longer 'spot' trains and haven't done so since the demise of those manky blue liveried noisy window rattlers.

I was going to say exactly the same about the 58.... to me they're still current fleet, I spent many hours in my childhood waiting at level crossings for a 58 to trundle past on the colliery line. Both as a car passenger, and dare I say it notebook in hand :oops: My mum dug my spotting books out, got a 1990 and 1992 edition. I'd got most of the 58s, and a lot of the other typical coal locos like 56s and 60s. I quite liked the railfreight livery although never worked out why they used the different symbols (petroleum, coal, metals and something else) if they didn't care which loco hauled what?Great photos though, did a few depot visits as a nipper and always preferred the christmas trees stuck down the end of the yard, robbed of bits.

Great pics, somewhere I have pics of a brand new yet to turn a wheel in service 58 outside Toton MPD taken during a railtour visit in June 1983, I never really liked them much, thinking them 'too new' and not liking the original livery compared too good old 'BR blue', I was more concerned with chasing the dwindling numbers of class 40's at the time! happy days :wink: