Forever Car

UltraWomble

I'd like a car that would suffice me forever

It's got to be able to seat five grown people

Reliable with regular routine fettling

Minimal electronic stuff to go wrong

Good parts availability

And. Well that's,pretty much it. PAS would be a distinct bonus as would classic status.

Try as I might a I can think of is,a Morris traveller or series Landry.

PAS is only an aftermarket fit on a Series Land Rover.  I can highly recommend a 200Tdi Defender although it won't have classic status (unless you ring it like lots do on eBay).

If I had something like £6000 to spend I'd get the bulkhead and chassis replaced, make sure the driveline has no shunts and enjoy for decades.

Rather predictably mine would be a Volvo 740, probably a saloon rather than estate. Simple enough to be maintained at home but with enough modernity to not need attention every weekend and good parts back up. They're gaining a following as well so classicdom can't be far off.

A grand would buy a minter.

Another vote for the Volvo 740. If you were only ever allowed one car for a life times motoring, for me it would be one of these.

Dead easy to work on, very strong and durable and comfortable. They are also old enough now to look good and stand out but still capable of doing all the daily driver duties and long distance runs if you need to. MPG isn't the best but it's not too bad either. I love them!

Much as I like Minors and series Landrovers neither fit the bill very well. They don't really need power steering- if you can't get on with their steering you absolutely won't get on with most other aspects of driving them. An FX4 Taxi may make a better choice if you need to carry 5 people in a classic vehicle with no electronics. Later ones got power steering, though people used to spend all day driving them without and didn't die. Later Nissan 2.7 diesels are legendary for lasting, finding one with a manual box is hard but definitely not impossible. I would approach earlier BMC diesels with caution if you want to go far or fast. 2.2 petrols quieter but thirsty.

Late Pinto engined Sierra Estate. Probably a Ghia with PAS

That'll do nicely.

My first thought when reading was a sierra, still relatively cheap as well, nice simple mechanicals, nice drive, parts readily available, correct wheels driven, that would do nicely

I'm planning to keep my 850 as long as I can. I don't know if they are more robust than the RWD Volvos but mine is certainly in better condition than the 940 of similar age and mileage I had before. You could just about get away with knocking 100k off the 850 but you wouldn't have fooled anybody if you tried it in the 940.

Range Rover classics, easy to maintain,practical and a good investment

I second that. Thirsty but will run forever. I know people will say they breakdown..what car doesn't.i never had a breakdown on mine that kept me off the road for more than a few hours.