Motorcycle

Guest Flynn

Passed the old motorcycle test today! Two years in the making that was. Did CBT sept 2013, waited a couple of months until I was 24, had a lesson, weather got bad, had a couple more lessons in spring 2014, promptly ran out of money due to only having a 5 hour contract at work.

Picked it back up this march, had another couple of lessons, passed off road part, promptly went for on road part, failed on starting to signal too early to leave roundabout 5 minutes before the end(bullshit arse money grabbing reason), took second test, concentration lapsed and drifted onto double white lines due to road position being too far exaggerated to begin with (staying out on a left hander for optimal view into corner).

Then today took a third and final one and finally passed! Now I have gotta wait to get a motorcycle because I don't have a car and a car is somewhat more practical than a motorcycle for going to job interviews and shopping. Although I am tempted to just go crazy and buy a motorcycle first and a car later but with my job situation that is not really practical because it will be a pain in the arse trying to ride to interviews in interview clothing with leathers over the top.

Also looking at supermotos because I have always loved motocross but never been able to afford it. I think supermotos are good for stunts and general bike control as well and the next car I get will be very road orientated so it will be nice to have the moto for light off road thrills.

Well done fella, i need to get mine done my lack of bike licence is down to laziness, my bike is sat waiting for me

And don't forget the money! £165 for the mod2 test!

That kind of thinking probably isn't great for riding on the road.

I had a 660cc Supermoto and it was alright, but the tiny fuel tank, short service intervals and general lack of performance was a frustration.

Enjoy your time on 2 wheels, it's enormous fun!

Don't worry, I know a few quiet country roads, farmers fields, industrial estates, etc where I can do my playing.

I had super moto wheels on my Ktm and it's sheer lunacy . It's always on one wheel or the other . You just can't help it . I sold them on before I got arrested .

They are useless on the road tho as Gareth said . The soft motos like the drz and ccms etc miss the point IMO .

They are slower and safer than road bikes though aren't they? I am looking for something like a husquvarna or husaberg, they are supposed to be quite hardcore. I won't be riding long distances so will only be doing 15 miles max. I just want to get something that is not as nice as a road bike but fun so that I can learn basic stunts and cornering.

I also wanna do some track days and an advanced course.

Or a Ktm 300 super moto , and hand your licence back cos you won't need it for long

I would love a two stroke but they are rare in supermoto form. But I always thought supermotos would be safer for your licence due to not going that fast. I don't think the cops mind about wheelies etc as long as they are within the speed limits.

They are slower and safer than road bikes

I don't think the cops mind about wheelies etc as long as they are within the speed limits.

Slower and safer, what books have you been reading then, its all in the wrist.

As for Wheelie's and cops your in for one hell of a shock.

You should have spent the money on your 7.5ton licence instead.

I had quite good fun doing a bikesafe course with the Met, it was a good day out and they gave some very useful pointers about riding - road position to give best vision ahead, avoiding crashes which is largely a good thing.

I favoured the zen method of riding, assume nobody sees you so you sneak through traffic smoothly without putting yourself in danger, you're gone before they know it and then forgotten.  Get it right and it's a really fast way of getting around.

Sadly lots of riders go for the other extreme of main beam (a cunt's trick, really), loud cans and buzzing through traffic pissing people off.

How about a nice CG125?

After all, you won't have a lot of experience riding motorbikes yet...

CG125s are cool. I nearly bought one without even passing my CBT with the idea of taking it and using it run about town. Never had enough money to buy the bike or do the test though!

CG125s are cool. I nearly bought one without even passing my CBT with the idea of taking it and using it run about town. Never had enough money to buy the bike or do the test though!

Yep, they're genuinely ace. Although the Katana-inspired* Suzuki GS125 has them beat on looks, if not mpg.

They're even nice in KH250 flavour... beautiful soundtrack.

I had three (at separate times) in the very early eighties. They might not have been as fast as an RD but they sounded a hundred times better.

Slower and safer, what books have you been reading then, its all in the wrist.

As for Wheelie's and cops your in for one hell of a shock.

You should have spent the money on your 7.5ton licence instead.

There is no point in doing a 7.5t licence instead of the full 32t cat c as the cat c is only a few hundred quid more. And sod the cops, at least the petty ones. They can't follow in a police car across fields and they can't identify you if you take your numberplate off :-)

I have ridden a Husaberg 650 supermoto, Savage is not even close. Far more torquey than even a 1000cc v twin, the gearing is ridiculous, will have you off the back in no time at all with no experience.

Best to try a suzuki Dr 350 for a while first.

Same sort of thing but less power.

A dr350? That's only a trail bike, not even a supermoto or enduro. I have read reviews of the DRZ400 and they have said they are quite underpowered and boring and they have 50cc more than a dr350, so I shouldn't imagine a dr350 is much fun.

I want a full on supermoto, not a trail bike which is just a watered down enduro. If Husaberg's are too hardcore, I was thinking maybe a Husqvarna 610sm or a KTM 640lc4 which according to reviews are good solid bikes. I have also seen CCM604s which I like the look of, but I don't like the 644s due to their smiley shaped headlight.

Any other suggestions? I want to keep it supermoto but not as extreme as the Husaberg you have described.

Get a TL1000. 130PS suddenly IS a lot of power ;)

My best mate had one of those for yonks.

It was an absolute animal.

So was he, they were well suited.

Possibly not the wisest post test choice.

DRZ's are fun. Only 'underpowered' on the motorway really. Epic round town and country. BBWaaaaaaaaaaaP