Does anyone have an opinion on P reg Primeras

Father Ted

My P reg primera seems to be a goodun. It is a 2.0TD but everything seems to be very accessible under the bonnet, roadhandling is pretty good but ultimately a reliable dull motor that should serve you well and not rust as badly as the old ones!

I had a 1.6 LX a few years back, was an M reg, but P10 shape. 1600 was a bit underpowered,but the handling was brilliant. For MOT's we only really see them fail on sills corroding, and front suspension joints-these can be fairly expensive as its quite an unusual setup. Brake pipes can be a pain to change as they have 2 load valves at the back. Have heard of a couple snapping timing chains too, btu I reckon you'd really have to neglect them,not like the New Micra. These seem to stretch chains at as little as 15,000 miles..engine out job too!

They're roomy, not bad to drive, easy to service, petrol models have chain driven engines (no belts to change :D ) which last a lifetime if you keep the oil fresh, although I hear gearboxes can be a weak point on them.The styling has had no thought put into it whatsoever, but even so, it's a bargain if reliability is high on the list.

I seem to remember an old Top Gear episode where Clarkson was trying to identify a mk3 Cavalier from the passing traffic (which was made up of primeras and 626's)I may well have imagined that though.I admit it is hard to have an opinion on a Primera. A bit like asking what is your opinion on water?I have very strong opinions on a £400 car with 11 months mot though! :D Bargain!

right, now im getting really PISSED off....

£400 has now turned into £1500, because "its had a lot of work for the MOT", bearing in ind he said to the father in law last week "about £400" this is a crazy price. mean its nice, its done 97K miles, but its not 1500 sobs nice. really getting pissed off now, went to a garage and looked at a Rover 416, lovely car, near spotless paintwork, alloys, wallnut dash, huge boot with only one hle in floor, tax to may, mot to Sept, working air con and rocker cover pissing out oil, all for £800 and i nearly handed over my credit card. Glad I didnt now as it would have been rash and a sure way to 20mpg and head gasket shenanegans. Just so pissed off at all the overpriced bilge out there. I think the difficulty with getting to some places to view a car is also getting on my chuff. :(