Top Gear

pompei

So whodo we all reckon will have wich car? Clarkson=SD1, May=Dolly & Hammond=Ambassador?God I wish May would stumble across this site, my life would be complete...

May and the wedge would be perfect harmony, Hamster in the Triumph, and the heavyweight King of taste and style that is Clarkson in the SD1 :lol:

I have SUCH ambivalant feelings about T.G. I really enjoy wathching it, and find much of what they do very entertaining, and they're clearly having a ball!! I'd kill to do their job! BUT, their arrogance, and contempt for much of the stuff we hold dear, is infuriating and depressing.

Well that wasn't too bad, was it? OK the interiors are probably going to be a bit damp for a while, but there was not too much of the wilful destruction that one sometimes sees on TG (especially with caravans). I actually quite enjoyed the feature.

I'd agree with that.... not too badly damaged, certainly not as bad as you might expect. And to be fair, Princess aside none of them looked like the tidiest examples of the breed you might find.

Most unfair on the Rover. I did my personal best of the M54 (16 minutes) in an SD1 in pre-gatso days, and although I only had it for a couple of days as a loan car I remember it as a refined and well screwed together example of British craftsmanship which I might well have bought if I could have afforded the petrol. Otherwise they all seemed to stand up to it quite well, that is if the bit in the studio was filmed after the challenges and not before :wink:

Hmm. Well, agree that the doors breaking off the SD1 did look staged. And, in fairness, the Dolomite was not exactly the tidiest example of the breed. But I concur a shame about the Princess, it did look amazingly tidy (down to the BL-logo mudflaps). Quality lime green 120Y though - SL or Ratdat must know this car! (S-reg, 4-door, 'football' hubcaps)

The handbrake test was funny as even perfectly maintained BL models like the Allegro struggle to pass the MOT test requirements. All press repotrs at the time used to state the maximum incline cars could manage, but 30% slope was the limit back then.Then again, modern all round disc braked cars can suffer even more since the handbrake mechanism uses smaller brake pads.Shame they had to trash that Princess, a 2200 auto too, but as for that Dolly, that thing must be sticking out 40hp at the wheels, expected much more from BL's 16v wounder.As for the SD1 struggling on the water test.IT HAS VENTILATED SILLS YOU TWATS!

Princess and the sd1 did look tidy... sprint a bit ratty but not horrendous by any means.Wonder what happens to the cars now? do the beeb still have them?I found it all a bit predictable and a waste. Come on clarkson and co, you've done this same routine how many times now?Interestingly though, they've just slapped a year's tax on the SD1... why do that if it's just for the crusher?The enquiry is complete The vehicle details for JHW 673X are: Date of Liability 01 12 2008 Date of First Registration 05 03 1982 Year of Manufacture 1982 Cylinder Capacity (cc) 3528CC CO2 Emissions Not Available Fuel Type Petrol Export Marker Not Applicable Vehicle Status Licence Not Due Vehicle Colour YELLOW Vehicle Type Approval null The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry. Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle 6 Months Rate £99.00 12 Months Rate £180.00

Princess did look nice - very good condition and perfect colour/interior. Shame that hammond & clarkson bashed into it.

That really winds me up when they do that, they seem to do it on every one of those challenges where they have to buy an old car.....Africa a few weeks ago, America last year, & all the times they've done it over here too. Just so unnecessary. The Princess was very clean & a worthy winner, but you could clearly see where they had slammed into it. May always has more respect. At least they showed appreciation for it at the end & I was quite pleased for the Princess, as the most maligned car of the trio, I admit myself I'd have an SD1 Vitesse in my collection if I could.Also yet another example of how they have a decent budget (£1000-2000) for the old car of their choice but always seem to end up with something shagged. How could that Dolomite have set Hammond back £1200 ?? My R14 cost more than 12 times less than that & nothing has ever fallen off it! :?:!::?: I think they must see them coming, as money is no object to that bunch! :roll:

Also yet another example of how they have a decent budget (£1000-2000) for the old car of their choice but always seem to end up with something shagged. How could that Dolomite have set Hammond back £1200 ?? My R14 cost more than 12 times less than that & nothing has ever fallen off it! :?:!::?: I think they must see them coming, as money is no object to that bunch! :roll:

I would suggest there is a reasonable amount of artistic licence used to be honest

Also yet another example of how they have a decent budget (£1000-2000) for the old car of their choice but always seem to end up with something shagged. How could that Dolomite have set Hammond back £1200 ?? My R14 cost more than 12 times less than that & nothing has ever fallen off it! :?:!::?: I think they must see them coming, as money is no object to that bunch! :roll:

I would suggest there is a reasonable amount of artistic licence used to be honest
It's a known fact that Clarkson is thick as f**k when it comes to cars without prancing horses on them. I think only May had enough upstairs to buy something half decent, which also turned out to be the best car on the day (I so want a Princess now :) ). I think that the other two started acting like cnuts by ramming the Princess because they'd handed £1200 (£1250 for the shitey Dolly :lol: ) for shite cars that had no chance of winning the contest and they were jealous...(Although, that SD1 didn't look too bad to begin with...)

I taped this on Sunday, and have just watched it. "Cretins" is absolutely right- what imbeciles!! Absolutely no genuine attempt was made to assess the quality of the cars- except to compare the handbrakes with that of a rather better maintained car. How on earth did any of those cars cost anything like 1200 quid? :shock: I'm mystified as to how come, when filled with water (WHY?) all the electrics didn't just short-out? T.G. fell several points in my estimation- talk about starting out with pre-concieved ideas and an agenda! I was impressed with Jennifer Saunders though!

I'm mystified as to how come, when filled with water (WHY?) all the electrics didn't just short-out? I was impressed with Jennifer Saunders though!

I did wonder that about the electrics at the time. I think a lot of these "challenges" are staged. To be fair I think if it wasn't for Clarkson old cars would be treated with far more respect - Hammond and May are both "classic car" owners. Usually the way it goes is that Clarkons starts acting like a twat, Hammond then follows his lead and they leave May shaking his head and looking at them like they're a pair of eight-year-olds with ADHD. Which is not that far from the truth really. I still can't help finding Clarkson hilarious though.And yes, Jennifer Saunders was very good. I was expecting her to be fairly quick, but not quite that high up the leader board. She sounded like a proper petrolhead too.