What would make this plate non transferable ?

blackbird

DVLA has it down as being first registered in 1984, so maybe it was an import? Imports are often given non-transferable plates. Although I would have thought the DVLA could be persuaded to make the plate transferable again - there's enough rich Ians in the land to make it worth their while...

* Ian Anderson - head of rock band Jethro Tull * Ian Astbury - singer of rock band The Cult * Ian Willoughby Bazalgette - recipient of the Victoria Cross * Ian Bannen - British actor * Sir Ian Blair - Head of the Metropolitan Police Service * Sir Ian Botham - Cricketer * Ian Broudie - Singer in The Lightning Seeds and music producer * Ian Brown - Singer/lyricist in The Stone Roses * Ian Carmichael - OBE, actor * Ian Chappell - Cricketer * Ian Clark - Professor * Ian Clyde - Boxer * Ian Collier - Singer/Actor * Ian James Corlett - Cartoon writer and voice actor * Ian Curtis - singer and lyricist in Joy Division * Ian Davis - writer * Ian Dury - singer and songwriter * Ian Eagle - American sports announcer * Ian Ferguson - disambiguation (four) * Ian Flanagan - Tennis Player * Ian Fleming - novelist, creator of James Bond * Ian Frazier - writer and humorist * Ian Gibson - disambiguation page (three) * Ian Gillan - Lead singer of the hard rock band Deep Purple. * Ian Gomm - British guitarist and singer * Ian Hart - Actor * Ian Hecox - from youtube's "Smosh" * Ian Henderson (Britain) - former head of secret police in Bahrain, accused of torture * Ian Henderson (ABC) - Australian news presenter * Ian Henderson (football) - current Norwich City F.C. player in the FA Premier League * Ian Henderson - Ornithologist * Ian Herbers - Hockey player * Ian Hicks - Chicago DJ and electronic musician * Ian Hislop - satirist and editor of Private Eye * Ian Holm - Actor * Ian Hunter - Singer Mott the Hoople * Ian Huntley - Murderer * Ian Kennedy- Major League Baseball Pitcher * Ian Kershaw - Historian * Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister - Singer/Bass player in Motörhead * Ian Krankie - entertainer * Ian Laperriere - U.S. Hockey Player * Ian Lavender - Actor * Ian Oswald Liddell - recipient of the Victoria Cross * Ian Livingstone - Author * Ian Lucas - Politician * Ian MacArthur - Politician * Ian MacKaye - Musician * Ian Maxtone-Graham - Television Writer and Producer * Ian McCaskill - weatherman * Ian McCulloch (actor) * Ian McCulloch (singer) * Ian McCulloch (snooker player) * Ian McDiarmid - Actor * Ian McEwan - novelist * Ian John McKay - recipient of the Victoria Cross * Sir Ian McKellen - Actor * Ian McMillan - Poet * Ian McShane - Actor * Ian Messiter - Creator of Just a Minute * Ian Morris - Irish professional footballer * Ian Murdock - Computer professional. Creator of the Debian project. * Ian Paice - drummer Deep Purple * Ian Paisley - Protestant politician * Ian Pooley - German DJ * Ian Rankin - Scottish novelist * Ian Reid - disambiguation page (four) * Ian Richardson - Scottish actor * Ian Rush - Welsh international footballer * Ian Skelly - Drummer in The Coral * Ian Smith - disambiguation (four) * Ian Smith - ex Rhodesian Prime Minister * Ian Somerhalder - Actor * Ian Stanley - British musician * Ian Stewart - disambiguation page (several) * Ian Stone - Comedian * Ian Thorpe - Australian swimmer * Ian Thomson - Cricketer * Ian Watkins - Welsh vocalist for the Lostprophets * Ian Weatherhead - English watercolour artist * Ian Wilson - disambiguation * Ian Woosnam - Welsh golfer * Ian Wright - Footballer * Ian Ziering - ActorNotable Iains * Iain Balshaw - MBE, English rugby player * Iain Banks - Scottish writer * Iain Black - British Columbia politician * Iain Dowie - Northern Irish football manager * Iain Lee - British comedian, TV presenter and radio presenter * Iain Macleod - British politician * Iain Paxton - Scottish rugby player * Iain Smith - Scottish politician * Iain Duncan Smith - Leader of the Conservative Party, 2001-2003 * Iain Softley - film director * Iain Sydie - Canadian badminton player * The Very Revd Iain Torrance - President of Princeton Theological Seminary and former Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of ScotlandFictional Ians * Ian Beale - from the TV soap opera Eastenders. * Ian Chesterton - from the TV series Doctor Who. * Ian Craig - from the radio soap opera The Archers. * Ian Gallagher - one of the main characters in the television drama, Shameless. * Ian Kelley - from the TV series Being Ian. * Ian Lewis and Ian Ketterman (together with dozens of other Ians) - characters created by Lee and Herring. The duo used 'Ian' as their de facto comedy name, in such sketches as the Ian News. * Ian - from leprechaun 2. * Ian Malcolm - from Michael Crichton's novel 'Jurassic Park'. * Ian (MÄR) - a recurring character in the manga and anime series MÄR. * Ian Maxtone-Graham - from the TV series Suddenly Susan. * Professor Ian McClaine - adoptive father of Joe 90. * Ian McKenzie - the liberal attorney from the novel and the film A Dry White Season * Ian McKinley - From the movie Final Destination 3 * Ian Miller - from the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding. * Ian Randall - from the 'Dichotic' episode of Smallville, a character who had the ability to duplicate himself. * Ian Raymond - Laura's boyfriend in the film (and novel) High Fidelity. * Ian Schulenburg - Unseen husband of Harriet Schulenburg in Green Wing. * Ian Rider - From the Alex Rider books * Ian Scuffling - Tyrone Slothrup's adopted name after he goes into hiding in Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow. * Ian - from Shane Jiraiya Cummings' short story, "Ian". Every male character who the protagonist meets is called Ian. * Ian - from Sarah Kane's play, Blasted.Stick that in yer pipe and smoke it!

Twats. :lol: I'll give you each a "I've been to Whipsnade Zoo" shite car sticker.Although I would argue that Ian Paisley would be disqualified on the grounds of being clearly mental. And Ian Huntley is not really 'famous', and is certainly unlikely to be purchasing Morris 1000's any time soon.

DVLA has it down as being first registered in 1984, so maybe it was an import? Imports are often given non-transferable plates. Although I would have thought the DVLA could be persuaded to make the plate transferable again - there's enough rich Ians in the land to make it worth their while...

I just can'r figure out if the DVLA chose to give a car a plate they wouldn't pick one worth so much would this originally have had a 3 and 3 plate eg ABC 123and if the plate on this was sold off what would be the chances of it getting something like 1AN randomly !?

This car/ plate combination has been Ebay listed at least twice before- about (from hazy memory) 12-18 months back.I suspect it got 'Non transferable' status inadvertently -there was a phase when re-reg numbers were being sold on, another applied for sold on, etc etc. When they realised what was happening -they clamped down heavily on every application -easing off a bit 6-9 months later.At the time -everything got 'Non transferable' stamped on it.I think this car/combo has changed hands once or twice -and the new owner hasnt been able to get the status changed.It is impossible -UNLESS you can PROVE its DVLA's mistake -as I've done twice -getting the endorsement removed from the V5c.You'd need previous history (V5 -buff log book) to show transferability status previously. You MIGHT get this if you apply for a microfiche of the cars history -but its a big risk.....

disambiguation (four)

Who he? :wink:
It was this bit I was confused by - until I realised where pandamonium had got all the Ians from (click my link) :wink:
Dammit, rumbled. Quick thinking tho innit???
:D Indeed!Until I caught on, I was almost compelled to exclaim, "Mr Pandamonium, with your Ian knowledge you truly spoil us!"

disambiguation (four)

It was this bit I was confused by - until I realised where pandamonium had got all the Ians from (click my link) :wink:
:D Indeed!Until I caught on, I was almost compelled to exclaim, "Mr Pandamonium, with your Ian knowledge you truly spoil us!"
I just wanted to quote again!

disambiguation (four)

You were thinking his knowledge was quite Iansurmountable! :lol:

disambiguation (four)

That was an IANcredibly poor gag. :roll:

disambiguation (four)

This is getting IANacceptable

disambiguation (four)

This is getting IANacceptable
Stare at the screen and it's like gazing into IANfinity.

This car/ plate combination has been Ebay listed at least twice before- about (from hazy memory) 12-18 months back.I suspect it got 'Non transferable' status inadvertently -there was a phase when re-reg numbers were being sold on, another applied for sold on, etc etc. When they realised what was happening -they clamped down heavily on every application -easing off a bit 6-9 months later.At the time -everything got 'Non transferable' stamped on it.I think this car/combo has changed hands once or twice -and the new owner hasnt been able to get the status changed.It is impossible -UNLESS you can PROVE its DVLA's mistake -as I've done twice -getting the endorsement removed from the V5c.You'd need previous history (V5 -buff log book) to show transferability status previously. You MIGHT get this if you apply for a microfiche of the cars history -but its a big risk.....

Non-transferable usually applies to a "barn find" where the log book has been long lost and a new V5 has to be applied for with supporting evidence from e.g. recognised owners club (the Heritage centre probably would verify identity in the case of BMC stuff). I quite like the idea that some goon sunk a fortune into restoring this from a total wreck so as the plate could be sold off, only to find that it can never be separated from the car :lol: though I do seem to recall that the asking price was £40k the last time around, at £7300 with three days to go there's a real risk it'll go for a lot less so expect to see this auction pulled 25 hours from the end.

In the past it was quite often the case the Lord Mayor's car of a town would have the reg number 1 and then the local identifier - When I lived in Stoke the Mayor's Jag had '1 EH' or 'EH 1' (can't remember off top of head) as EH is a Stoke identifier and I think the Lincoln Mayor has/had 'VL 1' or 'FE 1' etc.But in recent years due to the increase in Vanity Plates and the desperate attempts of Local Councils to rake in as much money they can and by any means possible, mayoral plates that have been on the official car since the dawn of motoring have been flogged off :roll: 'AN' is a Reading identifier so this could be a flogged off Mayoral plate from Berkshire. Possible maybe.