Logans Run...

tooSavvy

I did say a while back that my stepdaughter (whatever ails her, she didn't get it from me!) was up for PIP motability.

She has her form now and we went 'shopping' yesterday...

LOGAN 'ECV'1.2 is firmly in the frame :)

... her helmet of a partner wants 'Powwwahhh!' but, in all fairness it is her vehicle ;)

Will report back....

TS

My grandfather has a megane on motability - it's very nice, built in sat naf etc. it's now 2years old I think and has done 1200 miles. It's his third megane I think and about number five of motability cars. The first one replaced a 20 year old Talbot horizon ( c reg with 28,000 miles!). Now my grandmother has died though I think that their payments will be reduced as they both had blue badges. Obviously he doesn't need a car, it would be far cheaper for a taxi, but it's "independence". Although someone may need to have the discussion soon about ability to drive on morphine!

It seems very skewed towards pushing you into a new car.

http://www.motability.co.uk/

That's because that link is to the company who provide new cars in exchange for your allowance. As mentioned earlier you can spend it on anything you like.

Motability is a charity that negotiates very good rates on leases - and their catalogue is very impressive, not all crappy stuff at all - plenty of nice options for, say, executives who just happen to also be disabled, or people wanting something sporty or convertible.

Having said that some dealers are right twats about it - when the C3 was going to go back and I allowed myself the stupidity of returning to a Shitroën showroom to hand it over and take out a new lease deal, the salesman got really foaming-ranty whilst telling me "loads of Berlingos and stuff are coming back because the Government is taking all the motability cars off the scammers that don't deserve them".

Not that it takes much to make me leave a Citroën showroom - usually the madness that "maybe they're okay now" passes the moment I see one of the cars - but on that occasion, I grabbed my cane, limped back to my A-class parked in a disabled bay with visible badge, and drove home to fire off an incandescent email to the dealer principle.

As for the Logan MCV - Keith popped over once in one, a well equipped model with satnav and stuff. It was very pleasant - basic in ways that didn't matter, capable and comfy in ways that did. Though the Sandero's real appeal is in the super-basic model where you can see the engine and wiring and stuff just like on an old car, and the Hyundais are reputedly very capable little beasts.

But with the appropriate PIP mobility component, surely the range of things from Motability would include some more prestigious marques, as their depreciation and resale is much stronger. The dealer experience at Renault/Dacia showrooms surely hasn't improved much... What about an A-class? Similar FWD hatchback sort of thing, and Mercedes dealers are generally very good - if I'd qualified for DLA/PIP I would have gone for A-class or a brand new SLK (they're insanely cheap to lease - £200/month).

'Terry', the bairns new best friend.... Renault salesman had a visit from her and the 'Helmet'.... Now the guy yesterday could see I had the bairn sorted in the general 'helmet-proofness' of the 1.2 fizzer >> SIGNIFICANTLY he also knew I wasn't the DECISION MAKER...

'Helmet' turns up and is all 'smell of newnwssesses' and wanting to fcuck something.....  Terry raises the issue of how lame a 1.2 will be for 3 kids & shopping.... (£c.7k) and how much more suitable would be a........

http://www.pentagon-group.co.uk/motability/renault/megane/1.5-dci-dynamique-nav-5dr/69082

Megane.gif

....... I'm sure the Sales Comm on a £c.16k motor had no bearing.

Everyone is now happy (110 BHPeas)  :roll:

Credit Card Ignition.... ahem  :ph34r:

The Logan D is £399 'upfront' + allowance, whereas the 1.2 Pezz is el-cheappo.

TS

Basic Dacias are almost like unicorns, I've only seen a couple of the stripped out models. I think it's difficult to go into a Renault/Dacia dealer and not be strong armed into buying a more expensive model, I suppose it's the same for most dealerships.

Jesus christ. Seriously, the Mercedes A-class with the 1.5dCi would have been similar money and isn't (mostly) a fucking Megane for five figures.

Average hatchback with a Mercedes-Benz badge, or average hatchback with a Renault badge. What difference does it make?

Basic Dacias are almost like unicorns, I've only seen a couple of the stripped out models. I think it's difficult to go into a Renault/Dacia dealer and not be strong armed into buying a more expensive model, I suppose it's the same for most dealerships.

Average hatchback with a Mercedes-Benz badge, or average hatchback with a Renault badge. What difference does it make?

Dealers that don't treat you like shit, essentially. And good seats. I've driven both new A-class and new Megane and the A-class seats are much nicer. Plus in the A-class only the engine is made by Renault. Last Megane I drove broke after 15 minutes, and it was new.

There you go folks ;)

From a 'mebbies wheezie' cavernous family/shopping/fishing gear/suitcase hauler >>> to a 'shonkkie'* no-boot hatch, tight in the back :(

Terry couldn't shift me.... But then, HE DIDN'T HAVE TO!

TS

* nice place to sit while waiting for the RAC.

I think part of renaults problem had been the dealers don't give a shit. I guess this is partly down to be lumbered with a couple of generations of shit cars and pissed off customers.

Nah, the issue is that the margins on most cars in the UK are so tight that the dealers have sod all support for customers. Renault dealers were shit when they sold R5s and R18s, Peugeot dealers have been shit since the 205, Citroën dealers have been shit since they were taken over by PSA and in all probability, were shit before then. BMW dealers are shit and charge insane money to be shit.

Mercedes, I have had one indifferent dealer and three excellent ones. Oddly enough, Inchcape, who you would think as a big network would be awful, are absolutely brilliant with their parts team, very supportive of owners with older cars - in part because they rarely have to deal with customers going "what do you mean, it's not available" and "HOW FUCKING MUCH" for anything an old car is likely to need.

There's a reason why someone obsessed with cars, who will drive and generally enjoy any car, owns several of the same marque and still buys genuine parts.

Mazda and Toyota were also great - Border Cars for the former, Border Toyota (different company) for the latter - they were really helpful with my Sera.

VW I have had nothing but crap experiences with, including a main dealer that sold me a classic Beetle that gassed me.

Ford seemed more local, but didn't win me over. Indifference.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone seen the gear knob in a 16V 'Clio' 1.2 engined Sandero..??

My Savv is 'Clio' engined and has the JB2 Gearbox - with the tin piss pot endcover - and the gate is 'Reverse, LIFT & OVER by 1st'

Looking at one on Autotrader... R is back/lift below 5th >> bottom right corner of a 6 legged H ??

what gearbox is that then..... ??

Sanero_GBox.gif

That Engine Cover is definitely my Savvy D4F.....

TS

* could be Mk4 Clio 16V 1.2 JH3type... new$hite  :roll: