No need to post off a V5 now, you can do it online!

cobblers

Bastard.

Just bought a car today, and matey says "I'll stick it in the post, tomorrow."

I could have watched him do it online, then I would know.

The last car I bought, I sold a few weeka later, sans V5c.

Even though it was acquired from a garage, they never arsed themselves to tell the DVLA about a change of keeper.

So it was down as "In the trade".

Hopefully the new system makes things quicker!

I know of a bloke who bought a car the other week, and had the V5c back in his name, inside of 7 days.

I wonder if they can beat that!

That certainly beats wondering if its got lost in the post!

With it being all about that reference number rather than the physical v5 document, I wonder how long before it becomes a black and white chit MOT style?

I bought the Soul two weeks ago, and they did it all online.  Had the no longer keeper letter and tax refund within the week, not much from £20.pa anyway, and th V5C landed a few days after that.  Very quick I thought.

In many ways the DVLA has got the online act together very nicely now. Online licence renewal, online cherished transfers (on and off are now live), 10 year retention for numbers without renewals, 5 year post-MOT window to transfer number off a car that has been on the system properly, and online V5s.

It's a shame the mechanism for all this is reliant on ANPR and thus, fewer police actually pulling over the dangerous undermaintained bangers and crooks being able to clone cars pretty easily with all the online "show plate" companies.

Well that closes the "taxed to get you home" loop hole,as before long it be the Law to fill this as soon as you sell some thing

I doubt they will you're the records that quick tho... Surely you'll be able to get home without them noticing!!

My FiL bought a car from a main dealer who says they would tax it for him. But because they taxed it the day before they did the log book the DVLA automatically cancelled the tax. But he was driving around for a month before the DVLA notified him! No problems from the Rozzers.

I doubt they will you're the records that quick tho... Surely you'll be able to get home without them noticing!!

My FiL bought a car from a main dealer who says they would tax it for him. But because they taxed it the day before they did the log book the DVLA automatically cancelled the tax. But he was driving around for a month before the DVLA notified him! No problems from the Rozzers.

If the seller updates the V5 online straight away,as Im sure the DVLA will insist on before long,then the tax will be voided at the same time

The buyer will then have to go online,verify the change of owner and tax the car

Not a problem for the vast majority of sales,but just another hoop to jump through.....

If the seller updates the V5 online straight away,as Im sure the DVLA will insist on before long,then the tax will be voided at the same time

The buyer will then have to go online,verify the change of owner and tax the car

Not a problem for the vast majority of sales,but just another hoop to jump through.....

I think the tax will be cancelled straight away.

I recently did the online plate transfer and immediately went onto the vehicle enquiry site - private plate no longer existed and it was back on its original number according to the computer. Was done instantly.

Received new log book within 3 days.

If that's the case then presumably the buyer will need to have arranged insurance to start the moment the ownership changes so they can tax the vehicle to drive it away? I don't think you're allowed to overlap policies on the same car are you (or at least it's frowned upon by the insurers)? Sounds a right arse-ache.

I can see this going like the MoT very soon, where it's all online with a basic print-out to show the details.

If it does let's hope that the current owner can access names and addresses of all previous owners for the said vehicle that will save £5 and a V888.  (Just like you can print out all previous MOT history).

If that's the case then presumably the buyer will need to have arranged insurance to start the moment the ownership changes so they can tax the vehicle to drive it away? I don't think you're allowed to overlap policies on the same car are you (or at least it's frowned upon by the insurers)? Sounds a right arse-ache.

That's a good thing then, it'll stop uninsured people from driving away, hopefully. I still get people asking me to leave the insurance on for a day so they can get it home 'because my insurance covers me if you do.'

Looks like they will. I've just tried it and got this message:

'

Service Closed

The supporting systems for this service are currently unavailable.

The normal hours of operation are Monday to Saturday - 08:00 to 18:00. Please complete your transaction during these hours.'

So clearly it'll be an instant update thing, though in fairness ANPR probably won't react as quickly, so from a being pulled over point of view, you're probably ok to get home, but if DVLA marry up the time the last owner notified them of sale and the time the new owner taxes it, there could be a problem.

I'm with Andy here, this is probably to stop the 'taxed to get you home' so called loophole.

I think it's unlikely that it updates 'instantaeously'  - certainly I'd be surprised if the tax marker on the database that the ANPR systems use was updated within an hour. The cost to acheive that would be amazing. Although charging twice for tax for each car sold mid-month would go some considerable way to pay for it.

i bought tax yesterday via the green slip cos it showeed as untaxed (so they had the papers) and it didnt go green till this morning

not sure how youd get on if you used it and were stopped even tho youd have an email saying you paid even tho it had time and date on it (why i didnt use mine yesterday)

i bought tax yesterday via the green slip cos it showeed as untaxed (so they had the papers) and it didnt go green till this morning

not sure how youd get on if you used it and were stopped even tho youd have an email saying you paid even tho it had time and date on it (why i didnt use mine yesterday)

Probably an overnight batch run then. Not surprised at that.

If you've got all the details, and it's an actual police officer, then they'd have to let you off. If auto ticketed from anpr I think they recheck before sending out the ticket.

I still can't get my head round the fact the dvla only refund complete months but also only start from beginning of month for new owners so theoretically they are charging twice. Robbing arse

Was talking about that with someone the other day and they said that if it was a private company like a telco doing that, the watchdog would be all over them for ripping people off! It's seemingly OK for the DVLA to pick your pocket though.

That's a good thing then, it'll stop uninsured people from driving away, hopefully. I still get people asking me to leave the insurance on for a day so they can get it home 'because my insurance covers me if you do.'

Yes, I've always arranged insurance on a car before collecting it - I'm really not sure why I was saying it would be a pain there - apolz. It's been so long since I bought anything I was forgetting what was involved - until yesterday at least. All seems to have gone smoothly so far.