Reliant Rialto

oldcars

My Reliant has a similar attitude towards me.  It will run perfectly around the estate giving me false confidence, so I head further afield. Then it stops, insisting that I tinker with its carb jets or whatever.  It will then run home perfectly.  It only breaks down completely when my phone battery is flat and I'm as far as possible from home.

If your clutch arm is still moving freely, it will be fine until you can fit a new spring. Leave it too long and the release bearing may grumble if carbon.

My Reliant has a similar attitude towards me.  It will run perfectly around the estate giving me false confidence, so I head further afield. Then it stops, insisting that I tinker with its carb jets or whatever.  It will then run home perfectly.  It only breaks down completely when my phone battery is flat and I'm as far as possible from home.

If your clutch arm is still moving freely, it will be fine until you can fit a new spring. Leave it too long and the release bearing may grumble if carbon.

Do replace the spring,I suspect modern repro bits don't last as long as originals,one tip an old hand gave me was to pre stretch the spring,just grab either end and give it a good solid pull,this relieved some tension and stops them snapping in use.

That's funny Ray, i was further away from home than normal when it happened. It seems very rusty indeed, i had greased it up as well Feb mot time and again in April time. As you say Dan must be made cheaper. Will order one today. From memory there are two types, mine is the one with a longer end on one side of the spring. It was a bugger to fit from memory, not much access trying to stretch it across. It was December two years ago it went to. Why not June or July when its sunny  8)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just to update this for the last time. Clean sheet on the mot a few weeks back.

I just wanted to say a big thanks to all that helped me on this. Plasticvandan, Ray, Eddie,Mally, Bub and sorry if i missed any others. Without your help i could'nt have got stuff sorted on this. Big thanks. As they say on the two Ronnies, Its good night from me, and its goodnight from him.

• 2 years later...
On 10/22/2015 at 7:21 PM, plasticvandan said:

Reliant carb advice for dummies.warm up engine.raise tickover to say 1000rpm,you can use the end of your index finger on the screw head to turn it as trying to get a screwdriver down there is awkward.unscrew big mixture screw,is down towards engine,til it runs lumpy,then screw back up till fastest even speed is reached,lower Rickover speed to the lowest you can go with lights on and clutch pedal down,and the engine will still tickover. Drink tea.

Same applies to Reliant Kitten ? Yes?   SU HS2 carburettor. Can easily get a screwdriver on the idle speed screw, and use a 17mm open end spanner on the mixture adjustment nut.

Thanks ! This method has worked ! It was running weak, but the plugs didnt show it. I will use the car this week to try it properly.  I havent had it long, and just got it back on the road.  It was restored a couple of years ago, but they didnt do a good job of it.  Incidentally,   I remember from years ago, to find the correct level of oil, overfill it, put the damper back in, then push the piston right up with your finger through the intake (without the air filter on !) and any excess comes out of the vent in the damper's top.

See 

from about half way down page 3, dated 27 Oct.

Yes I'm aware of the car,was worked on by Adam "dick" Turpin so I'm not surprised you have issues. Generally oil in dashpot is about half inch below the top.They generally like to run a bit rich.Prior to being mot exempt owners would usually have to weaken it right off to get through the emmissons,then richen it again to drive home

Did you see the Mathewsons pictures, and mine? Especially the tank !  Look at the paint, looks good from a distance, but there are cracks and bubbles. Really should be resprayed, but I dont intend to. I will get it as good as I can with minimum effort! I might sell to make way for an Invacar, see Lightbulbfun's posts. I would much rather have a car that has not been touched, whatever the condition.