Do you end up buying the same cars time and time again..

Vince70

Last week I sold my little low mileage Audi A3 to a car dealer within a couple of hours of advertising it in the Friday ad for no other reason other than I wanted a change...

I think I mean I had done everything I could to it and got bored with not having something to to tinker about with and needed another everyday runner for work and I just couldn't get rid of my gorgeous Z3 even though the only time seems to come out the garage is just to wash it from time to time.

So this is what I bought. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=321819074144&globalID=EBAY-GB

I think I was just lucky to be at the right place at the right time...and the couple I bought it from were lovely but I can't get rid of this one in an hurry as I promised the owner I would look after it so it's got to be a keeper for a good few years but now I'm also to scared to use it just like the Zed lol

The thing is we already have an identical one in the family and it's actually also parked just over the road from mine so it's going to get bloody confusing in the mornings lol..

So my drive now looks like a 1997 BMW showroom lol.

So now there's 3

I've just sold my sixth Mercedes 190e. But they number of variations in engine sizes and the amount of options available on them meant that each one was so different to the one before. I've replaced it with a Mk1 Skoda Octavia, the second one we've had now. But if you count all the Octavias I've driven over the years when I was on the taxis...

Back in the days when I bought new cars, I had a new Rover Metro, followed by two Rover 100s in succession. Although the first 100 was written off and replaced by the second. Then after that came three K11 Nissan Micras...

No.

But I think a decade of serial company car driving cured me of it early on. I had every shape Astra and Cav through many of those years punctuated only by a Renault 19 (so basic I thought it had not been finished), a BX and a Xantia (both shockingly troublesome for brand new cars) and a Honda Civic that, to quote a disgraced motoring journo, was 'so bland I almost forgot I had it'.

Please God, that I don't have some mental aberration and opt in to another company car scheme, ever.

The only car I've tried twice is the Citroen BX, My first one was an utterly knackered N/A estate I found on freecycle, scraped through an MOT and ran for two years until the engine gave up at over 200k. I wasn't expecting to like it but really did. It was really rotten around the bulkhead so I knew it wouldn't last long but I was sad to scrap it.

I replaced it with the blue estate that is currently with FPB7. It was a far better car but didn't have as much character. There were a few irritating faults that I couldn't get my head around so I passed it on after a year or so to DW who fixed most of them that day.

I would love to try another Tipo or 405 but I think it would be a similar story

I often buy the same car twice if the first one I bought was knackered in some way - for some reason I delude myself into thinking that a different example of the same car will be better.  That's why I own two Mk2 Mondeo TDCi Zetecs, and why I've owned three Mk2 Lagunas and two Mk2 Scenics.  I am evidently an idiot.

Not as bad as some on here but as my forum name suggests there have been a few ds in my ownership. Currently just these two

7720138598_af4fd84b1e_z.jpg

Citroen DS23 Pallas efi by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr

Bought in 1985 but laid up for about twenty years from 1990 to 2010.

And this

6273838102_283abd563a_z.jpg

1970 Citroen Safari & 1977 Renault 16TS by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr

Bought about three years ago from the guys who maintain the blue one.

Serial offences of mine include 5 Minis (4 x Mk1 Austin, 1 x Mayfair) 2 Zephyr 6 MkIIIs and one Zodiac ditto.

Four Granadas from Mk1 3.0XL to Mk3 2.0 Ghia. The Grannies led to a parade of 4 Mercs - W123/W116/W124/W201 saloons. I would happily have another of any of the aforementioned again, apart from the Mk3 Granada. Not a bad car but just a tad modern for my tastes.

Not so much a make or model (although there have been a couple of repeat purchases) but for the last 12 years I have constantly had something French parked on the drive.

This is despite telling EVERYONE who asks not to buy French, because gallic electrics and build quality are a guaranteed path to automotive misery.

Must need my head testing...

I don't tend to change cars very often but this question has made me realise that, like Benny Hill, i like them big.

So Sierras, E34 5 series, W210 Mercedes, VW van, Ford Falcons, mostly in estate form have all sat on my drive.   Also a massive Pontiac.

Thank go for this thread I thought I was alone and a wierdo. I've had multiples of quite a few cars, my amateur psychological diagnosis was that it was some nerdish obsessive compulsion to finding the ultimate colour/trim/engine spec. I also think most cars are pish with very few standout exceptions (which tend to end up on the drive).

I had 7, 7 series Beemers on the trot!  Ran them then stuck them on the forecourt and bought another. I really loved them but then all the cocks started driving them (trendsetter me! :)  ) so I went back to Jaguars - three XJ-S' on the trot (white, green and red) then Sierra 4x4s two reds and a black one.

Saab 9000's were my steed of choice. 3 of.

2x 205's and 2x 306's when times were hard.

I would like to replace the Jag with another, but it would have to be an 'R'.

CXs when CXs were plentiful and affordable. (7, 22 TRS to GTi Turbo 2)

FE Vauxhalls when I optimistically hoped I could get people to weld them for me and not rip me off. (4, VX 1800, Victor 2300, Ventora and VX2300 Auto Estate)

Mk 2 Fiestas when I realised I could buy 'em for £50 and sell 'em for £400 to fellow students (hate them otherwise) (4 I think, all shitty ones)

Capris, because I love Capris (4, 2 1.6LS, one Laser and one Mk 1 2000 Pinto swap with Cologne kit (oh, 5, but the red Laser I had to sell quickly in favour of an XR4i))

XMs, just because (5, no V6 yet)

Jeep Cherokees - XJ 4.0 only (3, I think. I keep thinking it should be 4 but can't remember why).

Just realised. Shit. 6 Sierras.

3 x 4x4 (2.8 white, 2.8 facelift blue written off, 2.9 panther black), 1 x XR4i, 1 x 2.0 GLS, 1 x 1.6L

But the real repeat offence is just "Mercedes". There are once I like more, and ones I like less, but I've never had a Mercedes I actively disliked.