Why didn't they make.....?

mercrocker

Mgtf coupe would've been an interesting thing.

image.jpg

I've read on one of the mg forums that some dealer down south actually has the "working" prototype minus its engine on the strict provision that no attempt is made to put it on the road.

Probably because is probably made of screwed up newspaper and wob and it's curtains for nuns and kittens the first time you hit a speed bump.

Vauxhall Corsa GSi came with lotus designed 1.6 capable of 130bhp. A Mantzel inlet opens it to 150bhp.

Would've been nice to have a Corsa 2.0 with an XE but it's understandable to not take away sales from the similar powered car, in this case the Astra GSi. Also things like target markets and insurance costs. No point in producing if you can't get the target group with insurance.

Apparently that's the same engine that's in my vectra. X16xe lump with stupid throttle body right down back of engine and the inlet running up and over.

VW milked the Seat Ibiza/Cordoba range in the '90s, by rebadging some as Polo saloons and estates. I always wondered why there was never a VW badged version of the Cordoba coupe though. They could have even badged it the Derby.

GTi* versions already existed in Seat form too, so a performance version could have been sold, at a premium over the hatchback.

All the necessary bits existed - the VW grilles and lights and what-not. I guess the market for a 2dr Polo had gone by that point.

* or whatever they called them at the time - Cupra/FR/Bocanegra/Chavanator or some such, no doubt.