Oldsmobile has a new home!

purplebargeken

How's your Mercury? Did the fault get sorted in the end?

It'd be interesting to have both in use together and a good old GM v Ford comparison of the two similar cars.

The speedo/transmission fault is now sorted. Was a worn VSS drive gear in the transmission. Normal speedometer and shifting now. The only fault code remaining is something fuel pump related. Brings on the 'check engine' light every time after a mile or two. "Secondary fuel pump circuit has no or bad ground (earth)" or similar. Runs well enough though. Will investigate! A previous owner (before Eddy) had removed the 'check engine' light bulb, so am assuming this fault code has been going on for a while.

"Not your father's Oldsmobile" was an ad slogan. I remember hearing it as a young lad.

The "sport" badge strikes me as a marketing ploy to shake off the stodgy image of GM's top 3 divisions at the time. I don't think it worked, in Oldsmobile's case.

Of course there was a time when I didn't see the need for power seats; now I won't drive a car without 'em!

C-bodies are a favorite of mine. A 3.1 is a bit underpowered for the weight of the car where I live, but it should prove to be a comfortable place to be once you fix that ATF leak, which is usually the gasket since they all do that, sir. Even the Cadillacs...

I find that theme (and some of GM's '80s marketing in general) rather more grand than what you see now. Stuff like Heartbeat of America (Chevrolet) and The Great American Road Belongs to Buick used powerful imagery quite effectively.

The irony, of course, is that they invested more in marketing minor differences than they did in creating differences between the actual products. Still, for a short while, like the Jaguar X-Type, it worked.

Like a Rock (Chevy trucks) was pretty good, too, but that was cheating in the sense that the song was around before the products it was used to advertise.

It's astounding to me that they hired an agency to produce what you might term "Oldsmobile music." From about 1984 through 1988 (or thereabouts), the Olds buyer was given a tape with that theme on it. Every so often, you come across someone on a forum asking whether anyone knows what it was. The story is always the same; their parents had an Olds and from the back seat the poster, now an adult, kept asking for the tape to be played back, over and over again. I've even seen someone admitting to tearing up when they heard it again, for the first time in twenty years.

Quite poignant (made just before the car was junked, apparently):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5dEF11QZ7k

The instrumental version is even better:

The best bit is that, in the case of There is a Special Feel and The Great American Road, they did variations on the theme: jazz, slower, faster, Christmas, etc.

Listen to the first three minutes of this:

I find myself wanting to isolate and fix the (warped) audio (I've tried... sadly, no go).