Tell me about RX8s please.

Jim Bell

Fatha Shitpeas is making noises about getting one.

I know the engines go pop, that your really need to do the convoluted starting and shutting down procedure to keep them happy and that rotor tips go, but thats all third hand pub whispers.

Anyone have any experience of them?

Would appreciate some AS Gospel.

Whats to look out for in a purchase situation? 

Whats DEFINATELY going to fail a week into ownership?

Any other pertinent information would be greatly appreciated.

Ha ha ha. Sorry Jo.

Its always quicker to Gooble "Autoshite Mazda RX8"  or whatever you're looking for rather than hunting manually.

TOP TIP.

I found what I was looking for, which is kinda what I suspected anyway, but I doubt he'll be dissuaded.

My mate had one for a bit and to be fair his was totally reliable. Used to belt up and down from Middlesbrough to York on a daily basis as well.

Fuel economy was what removed it from his ownership, replaced it with a 1.0 Ecoboost Focus. Classic.

Guest Lord Sward

They are SHITE.  Avoid.  Go and find a TR7.

Oh, and never write that they are shite as the RX-8 Moaners club lot are very vengeful.

I've just disposed of one through BCA Newcastle.  You missed out there.

I see them all the time getting forklifted into the breakers yard, they sometimes get them running next day, but they always misfire and smoke. There was a long discussion about / gearbox swaps on another forum and the conclusion was that every engine suggested would involve far too much chew to make it worth doing.

dead ones fetch about 450 on ebay, but dont break very well, so if you can find a cheap, good engine & body car, ignore the mechanicals and interior and buy a spares car too.

I should like RX8s, but the engines don't sound "rota" enough. In fact they sound a bit tinny (on the rare occasions they actually work). If they sounded better (like below) there would be some point in putting up with the extra hassle. Might as well just buy a Prelude etc.

It depends on how you look at it, if you want a long term keeper mile munching hyper reliable car then they may not be top of the list (probably not even on a list however long it is) but buy one as a cheap fun car knowing that at some point it WILL go tits up big time then they are the best fun per pound you can have. They do stupid mpg and some are stupid to tax but avoid those and spend £600 on a car that will be amazing for the time it lives and can't cost you more than £600. Or you can just do the circuit and test drive hundreds as every dealer seems to have a least one sat sad looking in a corner. I got mine after making a stupid offer of £500 on a car up at £2600 and was amazed (terrified) when he said yes if it's cash. I had it eight months and sold it for £800 and it was great fun.

A colleague of mine bought one of the last, which apparently have more reliable engines. He had it for six months. Nothing went pop, apart from his credit card when paying for fuel. Round trip to Liverpool from Reading cost the best part of £300.

He's got a 2009 535d as a replacement.

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk

Guest Lord Sward

You got get high teens MPG if you are lucky on high octane fuel.  Then there is the oil consumption; 1litre of expensive stuff per 1k miles if the engine is on the way out (which it will be).  If your starter motor is knackered, then the engine won't be far behind, don't throw £300 quid at it.  If you are lucky the engine will go BANG! in style rather than just failing to start when warm.  But remember, do NOT publicly write about the RX-8s failings otherwise you will wake up next to AN HORSES HEAD courtesy of the MOwners Club.