Rover 75 Diesel

oldcars

Cheers, i will check them out when i have the lamps out. Think i will get a proper gasket, i'm liking the 75 more by the day.

They really get under your skin and for some unfathomable reason I always ignore the problems with clutch hydraulics and suspension parts going clonk! New light seals are available from a guy on OC forum but make sure you use the email option or you will get nowhere fast  :-D

If I had the room I would stock pile cheap 75's so I can keep driving them for the rest of my days.

Not a bad idea I can see these being one of those cars that in 15/20 years time are going for silly money, as people on here have said they are very likeable and impressive I absolutely love mine the best modern car i've owned, I can see why they have such a following for a recent car.

With regard to MPG i've got a diesel (CDT) and for £20 I get at least 150 miles driving locally (short journeys) between my last fill up I did two slightly longer trips locally and got 172 for my £20.  The car it replaced a dreaded Audi A4 tdi (a pita money pit) that could only ever manage 120 miles for £20.

Took the wheels off and painted up the disk centre silver, the calipers had been painted black already. Cleaned all the arches out and they will be treated with dynax ub tonight and the wipers painted as well. Photos to follow once i take them. Wheels have been cleaned but they are badly stained so will need a refurb too.

Got the Dynax on the inner arches last night, and done the Dynax wax spray on the underneath exposed metal. Took the wiper arms off and painted with some poundland paint. Looking good, they are drying in the shed. Also got my new second had centre caps, not as new but much much better. They will be fitted once the wheels are sorted out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Update time. Bought some mudflaps of ebay from Stevie Wonder, they are a mess so won't be going on.

Had a new tyre put on yesterday so its now on 4 matching tyres. Also had the thermostat replaced and now it gets up to temp properly. Also runs much better. Mate said it was a git of a job to do but its all done now.

Towbar is going on next week, and its still due to get painted but this will be a little while yet.

The mudflaps will trap moisture/dirt between the front wing and flap causing corrosion. I took mine off and had repair done at at a bodyshop.

Is it best not to bother then? Always have had or added mudflaps to my cars to save the sills getting stone chipped.

Is it best not to bother then? Always have had or added mudflaps to my cars to save the sills getting stone chipped.

It's easier to hose the car off than earn the cash to pay a bodyshop to repair a pair of rusty wheelarches. Sill paint protection is good on these cars, unless you and the Mrs drive through gravel at speed they should be ok. 

Took the rear lamps off last night, to replace the foam gaskets. I think i may have found the cause of the leak. Half one gasket was missing and it was full of moss, dirty and bathroom sealant. Cleaned up and replaced both seals so will see what its like after the rain. Once i had put it all back, one light was dead :( Looks like a lot of water had got into it as the contacts where all white and green. Spend some time cleaning them all up and sanding the much off and finally got it all working. Fingers crossed the new gaskets keep it all dry.

They will do. My spare wheel well was half full with water before I bailed it out and replaced the foam.

No more problems after that, its a common issue on these.

Any updated pics?

Good point Nyphur,  I need to check mine after all the rain we had this week!!  I have just stored it away while I go off on hols for a couple of weeks, but when I get back I am half expecting to find the spare wheel well wet because im sure the boot carpet felt bit damp the other week  :-(

Yay more ROVAZ.

I'm on my 4th 75 now. I'm keeping this one FOREVER. Mine's a dizzler auto which is poop on the EM-PEE-GEES but probably the strongest engine (last one was over 400k and quite happy) and my left leg is enjoying not sitting on the clutch all the time now that I live DAHN SARF and have to put up with the associated travel KHAOS.

Look! Preeeeetttyyyyy :D

9u20ih.jpg

148gqo7.jpg

That has much niceness! Well bought :)

Moss and dirt makes pretty poor gasket material. I think you may well have now solved the leakiness issue :)

Thanks, yes i hope so. Loving the 75 it really is good, Now it runs so much better with the new thermostat, gets up to temp and seems much smoother.

Had a towbar fitted the other day for the caravan. One rear light still seems to leak, water seems to be on the wiring and getting onto the boot floor. Will need to look at it again, hope they didnt remove the light to fit the towbar and damage the new gaskets. Should have waited to fit them until the towbar was done, never thought.

Last week some kind* local citizen smashed the wing indicator off opening there door into it. Popped the the scrappies and got the lasr facelift one. It was a bit battered but i made one good one out of the two i had and fitted it yesterday. Also was planing to paint the black door trims as one had rust, but decided it would be easier* to replace the rusty one. That was a laugh. Trying to find a 75 in the scrappies with manual windows as you need to lower the glass to removed them, most had elec windows! Found one and got it off but its a bit of a faff fitting it on the car.

Need to get pics, its looking much better than when i got it.

• 2 weeks later...