Rover 75 Diesel

oldcars

Here is the new addition to the fleet, a 2004 facelift Rover 75. Its a very nice place to be, its has its faults but for the money im very happy.

The electric mirrors would not adjust, this has now been fixed by cleaning up the contacts. The temp reads a little cool at 67-69 so i'm guessing with some help from purplebargeken & essdeewon that the thermostat is stuck open so this will need looked at.

I have deep cleaned the interior, cleaned the leather and wet vac'd the carpets and mats. What came out was like used engine oil :shock:

Wheels need a refurb which i will do and get some replacement centre caps as these are really bad. With the white stains on the wheels looks like the last owner was washing them with brick acid :-P

The body is good just lots of scratches so this will be getting sorted out, i will try and get a few photos when its being done.

Here is a couple of photos, i just love the interior.

Mine was about the same - low 40s on average, slightly more on a run.  They're not a bad engine though, and they don't have the piss flap problems that the more powerful BMW versions had.  Mine never used to get up to full operating temp either - unlike the 2.5 V6 I had before which was fully warmed up within about 30 seconds.

Mine was about the same - low 40s on average, slightly more on a run.  They're not a bad engine though, and they don't have the piss flap problems that the more powerful BMW versions had.  Mine never used to get up to full operating temp either - unlike the 2.5 V6 I had before which was fully warmed up within about 30 seconds.

Did you run it without fixing it? Just wondering if it would cause any damage. 

Mine is getting 48 - 51 mpg just cruising about on rural roads up here. It is a manual which is better than the auto on fuel. This is brim to brim testing ! The on board computer isn't overly accurate. Also the 160 upgrade may help a bit.

I had a 75 last year and sold it pretty pronto, however I still like the cars; they have some excellent plus points including a wonderful ride - so rare in modern cars.  I'd still try another one, preferably not one with leather trim which I found hard and slippery.  Would have to be a 2.5V6 or diesel, didn't they come in two different states of tune in the diesel?

I had a 75 last year and sold it pretty pronto, however I still like the cars; they have some excellent plus points including a wonderful ride - so rare in modern cars.  I'd still try another one, preferably not one with leather trim which I found hard and slippery.  Would have to be a 2.5V6 or diesel, didn't they come in two different states of tune in the diesel?

The leather in mine was the same. Its great now its been cleaned with Autoglym leather cleaner, made it look natural and not shiny or slippy.

That is very smart, and a lovely colour too. Not sure if they still call it Wedgewood blue on the later cars?

The facelift cars are growing on me slowly, that one just looks very classy but I do prefer the more 'retro blingy'ness' of the early cars.

Defo sounds like the thermostat stuck open, at least its not stuck shut  :-D

If I had the room I would stock pile cheap 75's so I can keep driving them for the rest of my days.

A little sad, I know  :?

Deisel 75 are either 116 or 131 I think. Most people go for the 160 upgrade now though! Makes quite a difference to torque as well. I have done a top hose thermostat mod on my last 2 diesels and it works a treat. The highest temp thermostat you can get in the better as running cold is the common problem, leading to poor mpg.

the early diesels (CDT's ) are 116bhp while the later CDTi's are 135bhp.

both can be remapped up to 160bhp, i've had mine done and i think it is more economical than it was before.

i get around 44-45 mpg on mine, up from 40-42mpg.

i like mine alot, even though it is trying my patients!

i've got a new slave cylinder fitted to the car, and now i've found out that the battery is as flat as a witches tit.... it has been beached outside home though for the last 3 weeks!

Found another issue this morning. The boot leaks, seems to be coming from under the back screen. there are two oval shaped holes in the body and when you feel inside there is a little peg thing. Looks likes it getting in there. Will add that to the list.

Found another issue this morning. The boot leaks, seems to be coming from under the back screen. there are two oval shaped holes in the body and when you feel inside there is a little peg thing. Looks likes it getting in there. Will add that to the list.

Not heard of them leaking in through there before, usually its around the rear lights / lenses that allow water into the boot. 

Not heard of them leaking in through there before, usually its around the rear lights / lenses that allow water into the boot. 

Cool. i have a special* one  :mrgreen:  It might not be there it just feels like it is. The water is not near the rear lights but it could be traveling along. Lights will come off when its painted anyway so we can check it all out.

It travelled in mine from the lamps to the back.

Correct and proper fix is a new lamp gasket.

Correct and proper fudge is bathroom sealant. Ease off the trigger when you've more silicone than Jordan.

Cheers, i will check them out when i have the lamps out. Think i will get a proper gasket, i'm liking the 75 more by the day.