Rover 75 Diesel

oldcars

I just bought a 2004 facelift diesel tourer to use as my work hack.

Cheap as chips so I wasn't expecting anything great, but I have to say I've been very pleasantly surprised!

Really comfy place to be in. Decent MPG, decent power as it's a CDTi, good air con, nice sound system, clean inside, has a roof rack and tow bar too.

I'm already spending money on it and it's a work hack. I fuggin love it. Oh god help me.

I just bought a 2004 facelift diesel tourer to use as my work hack.

Cheap as chips so I wasn't expecting anything great, but I have to say I've been very pleasantly surprised!

Really comfy place to be in. Decent MPG, decent power as it's a CDTi, good air con, nice sound system, clean inside, has a roof rack and tow bar too.

I'm already spending money on it and it's a work hack. I fuggin love it. Oh god help me.

Pics please :)

Two from the eBay ad here. I'll add some of my own.. er.. whenever I remember to. Memory of a goldfish here.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I've not done much to it yet. I got the IPK (dash display) fixed as it's a common fault. The 75/ZT owners club is really friendly and extremely helpful. I cleaned out my plenum too as standing water there is a very common problem leading to ECU faults, thankfully mine wasn't bad and was only partially blocked. Changed the pollen filter while I was in there. Re-gassed the AC, works a treat now. Clutch already been done by previous owner so don't have to worry about that. Seems to have a very minor leak, possibly camshaft oil seal looking at the location of it, but it's VERY minor so I'm not bothered. I touched up the stone chips, bought a Haynes, bought a Rover keyring for the key (I do the keyring thing for every car I own, I'm a sad bastard). It needs some new tyres as it's on weirdly named ditch finders that are terrifying in the wet.

It's up for MOT next month, going to scary's so he can give it a good once over.

EDIT: And I polished the hell out of the headlight units. When they go cloudy the projector lights are CRAP.

That's very nice indeed. Its on MK1 wheels, it would have come on the same as mine from the factory i think. My headlamps were grim, there all wet sanded and polished up now. I like the keyring thing, nice touch and not at all sad.  Here is the build data for your 75.

vin_sequence 331713 off_assembly_date Tuesday, 25th May 2004 @ 13:38:24 model 75 Tourer variant CDT Contemporary (135) num_doors 5 paint_code MBB brochure_model_desc R75 C2 Cont Tourer 2.0 M47 Diesel (116) sales_model_derivative RJZAJ sales_model_derivative_desc Rover 75 2.0CDT(131Ps) Contemp Tourer home_export HOME country GREAT BRITAIN exterior_paint Starlight Silver interior_trim Axis/Leather (Grey/Black) engine 2000 Diesel 135Bhp trimlevel Contemporary bodytype 5DR manual_auto M hand_of_drive RHD model_year 2005 sold_date Unknown General Information
  • This vehicle was the 23,767th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
  • This vehicle was the 531st 75 Tourer CDT Contemporary (135) to be made out of 915
  • This vehicle was the 3,158th 75 Tourer in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 4,100 Starlight Silver 75 Tourers
Also born on this day...
  • 86 75s
  • 74 75 Tourers
  • 74 MG TFs
  • 120 ZRs
  • 46 ZSs
  • 24 ZTs
  • 20 ZT-Ts

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Won a few bits for £20 on ebay!

Genuine OEM boot liner, as new carpet mats, some worn rubber mats, luggage nets for the boot, headlamp protectors (mk1 so don't fit) and some spare bulbs.

Will get it all fitted when the rain stops.

If anyone wants to swap the MK1 headlamp protectors for some MK2 ones let me know  :mrgreen:

Mines due next month, I'm not confident after yours.

Will let you know.

Failed on front to rear brake pipe and front inner ball joint.

Replaced both front to rear pipes and bottom arm. Arm was £57, already had the stuff to make the pipes.

Passed now, happy again.

Need a spare key, seems owners club is cheapest, £70 plus cutting I think, not too far from me.

Will look into it before I break or lose the one I have.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Went to the bike racing yesterday at Donington Park. Covered 560 miles in it on Sunday. Half way home there was a whine that started. Seems to go away when the aircon is switched off. My guess is its something to do with that. Anyone had similar problems on there 75, and what should i look at?

Went to the bike racing yesterday at Donington Park. Covered 560 miles in it on Sunday. Half way home there was a whine that started. Seems to go away when the aircon is switched off. My guess is its something to do with that. Anyone had similar problems on there 75, and what should i look at?

Mine has/had that - seems like a common They All Do That Sir fault.  Mine whined like a DC10 when stationary in traffic, despite the aircon system being otherwise fine - the whine went away as soon as I switched off the aircon.

Mine has/had that - seems like a common They All Do That Sir fault.  Mine whined like a DC10 when stationary in traffic, despite the aircon system being otherwise fine - the whine went away as soon as I switched off the aircon.

Super, i will ignore it then. Mine rises and falls with the revs of the car.

Pretty sure they all had aircon.  The basic models have rotary temp controls and an a/c button, the rest have climate control - with up and down temp rocker switches each side - these all have aircon.

I have rocker switches, I tend to wind the windows down, I'll have a play with them up.