Rover 75 Diesel

oldcars

The boot leak on this is a nightmare. We spend hours on it last week, sealing bits up and checking for leaks. Thought we had it  fix but end result is it leaks more then ever now. Rear lights have started to act up now as well. Brake light bulb won't light but bulb seems fine. Connections were a little rusty so sanded them down but the plug to the lamp cluster looks to be damaged with all the water. Pins 1 & 2 seem very rusty. There are 5 pins, anyone know if 1 or 2 happen to work the brake light? Getting fed up of this car just now, its just constant fixing but never getting anything fixed.

Gutted, shopping trolley seems to have hit this. It was mint having spend hours and hours painting it. Only nice car i have ever owned. Starting to wonder what's the point trying to have something nice.

Oh mate... :(

It's depressing isn't it. I bought my 75 because it was 1) low mileage & 2) in excellent cosmetic condition.

A year and a half on it's got marks all over it (people opening their doors into mine!) which aren't that noticeable when the car's in a 'used' state - but when it's washed they really stand out :(

The garage I used also jet washed the car which has lifted some clear coat off the c pillar & roof which I think has uncovered a previous cosmetic repair. 

The car's still lovely inside, but outside it's looking a bit unloved at the moment. I'm not sure whether to run it into the ground & just keep it in mechanically good order, or put a shitload of cash into a respray & full suspension re-do.

Tell you what I really hate though... The fact that nobody looks after ANYTHING any more, and then don't expect to have to be careful around things that belong to OTHER PEOPLE. I can safely say I've NEVER opened a car door into someone else's car... because I respect that IT'S NOT MINE TO DAMAGE.

Sorry! Rant over!

I agree no one cares now. Worked hard to save up for this and get all the work down, feel bad as i could have used the money for something else. Never mind, it still runs and can be used as a car just with a nice dent. 

To be honest if your using it as a daily then i would'nt bother with the repaint. If your keeping it weekend use and shows then go for it, but as a daily its a waste of time. The dents just get more annoying.

• 5 weeks later...

Small update. Water leak finally fixed! Seems it was coming from the seam just above the hinges, really glad this is fixed. The lights are now all fixed and no more issues. PDR chap worked his magic on the dents and its away for a service today and getting the brake warning light sorted out.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh mate... :(

It's depressing isn't it. I bought my 75 because it was 1) low mileage & 2) in excellent cosmetic condition.

A year and a half on it's got marks all over it (people opening their doors into mine!) which aren't that noticeable when the car's in a 'used' state - but when it's washed they really stand out :(

The garage I used also jet washed the car which has lifted some clear coat off the c pillar & roof which I think has uncovered a previous cosmetic repair. 

The car's still lovely inside, but outside it's looking a bit unloved at the moment. I'm not sure whether to run it into the ground & just keep it in mechanically good order, or put a shitload of cash into a respray & full suspension re-do.

Tell you what I really hate though... The fact that nobody looks after ANYTHING any more, and then don't expect to have to be careful around things that belong to OTHER PEOPLE. I can safely say I've NEVER opened a car door into someone else's car... because I respect that IT'S NOT MINE TO DAMAGE.

Sorry! Rant over!

My 75 is a little tatty but I have a neighbour who was using the parking bay next to mine, he owns a poxy silver 1 series, twice I saw him open his door onto the 75, so I asked him not to a few weeks ago, obviously he denied he had, but I saw him twice and my eye sight is pretty damn good. Anyway the next time I went out I looked at his door and all down the lip of his 1 series door is chipped, so he obviously does open it onto things.

Anyway, no additional marks on my car but I have moved spaces anyway so he is not parking next to me anymore, or if he is then its in a much larger space so he has no excuse to make contact with my 75.

Even so, what a wanker and why do it??  He also spits all the time in the communal carpark, I gather his Turkish or from that way.

Sorry, back to the matter in hand Shuma...

Regarding your leaks, I must be very lucky because my W reg Cowley car stays bone dry, so did my early Longbridge car that I owned last year.

That is gutting about the trolley damage.  I would love to get my primrose car painted but not until I have somewhere nice and safe to keep it... i.e. a carpeted garage well away from any Tesco metro carparks!!

Regarding your leaks, I must be very lucky because my W reg Cowley car stays bone dry, so did my early Longbridge car that I owned last year.

That is gutting about the trolley damage.  I would love to get my primrose car painted but not until I have somewhere nice and safe to keep it... i.e. a carpeted garage well away from any Tesco metro carparks!!

You must be. Think i fixed it last night, only taken me about 14 months or so to get to the bottom of the leaks  :-D  Trolley damage is not fixed, i was lucky in than the paint had only been lightly scratched and polished out once the pdr chap worked his magic. Your Primrose car is lovely indeed, post a pic on my thread if you can please   :-D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Nearside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded front to rear (3.6.B.2c)

Offside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded front to rear (3.6.B.2c)

Nearside Front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement rear most (2.4.G.2)

Nearside Front Suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)

Offside Front Suspension arm ball joint dust cover excessively damaged so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.4.G.2)

Offside Front Upper Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint dust cover excessively damaged so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.4.G.2)

Nearside front brake excessively fluctuating (3.7.B.3)

Offside front brake binding (3.7.B.1)

Front Brakes imbalanced across an axle (3.7.B.5b)

Offside rear brake excessively fluctuating (3.7.B.3)

Nearside rear brake excessively fluctuating (3.7.B.3)

Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)

Offside rear parking brake recording little or no effort 90kg of force (3.7.B.6a)