Stuff fitted to your car that you never seem to use

warren t claim

There's a button on the b pilar on the driver side on my VW Borat. Don't know what it does,can't be arsed to read the hand book to find out. Manual shift on the auto box,what's the point of it? It changes gear like someone who's never seen a car before. It would be nice to see a modern car with all the crap we don't use removed,and then see what mpg we get.

^ Air recirculation is the button of missed opportunity.

AM on the radio is never used or the traffic announcements as they're bloody annoying. Air conditioning as it's usually broken. The Carisma has a button for switching the passenger electric window off and another for locking the car from the inside. Short of playing with them whilst waiting for someone I'm not quite sure what they're for.

The Vauxhall Mokka is full of pointless buttons for things so you could spend a whole afternoon making it worse and then trying to put it back to the way it was.

The button on the door pillar on vw stuff is to turn the ultra sonics off for the alarm I think . For if you left a dog in the car for example

Ah I see! In my case I don't have a dog,unless you consider the car to be one that is.

There's a button on the b pilar on the driver side on my VW Borat. Don't know what it does,can't be arsed to read the hand book to find out.

Turns off the ultrasonics on the alarm so you can leave organic lifeforms locked inside.

Edit: read the thread before adding, you Pillock.

My car switches on air recirc if you put the A/C to maximum, maybe it does less graft? Other than that, it's just used for tunnels and sitting in traffic to avoid pumping in TDI fumes.

When I was an yoof I went to the bother of fitting a cigaratte lighter socket to by pov spec Micra to play TUNEZ through the radio from an iPod. Can't be bothered now, Radio 2 or the very occasional CD will do. Oddly my car has a separate cigarette lighter and 12v port in the dash - never seen that before. It says not to use anything other than the lighter in the lighter port but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Remote lock / unlock fob thing.

Van and car have them but I have never used them, they are bulky things compared to the keys.

I use the key to lock the F. If you use the fob it sets the alarm which is susceptible to drafts and piss's off the neighbours. Annoyingly, using the key to lock the door triggers the immobiliser, which warbles away to you when you try to start the car unless you have unlocked it using the fob. I'm sure that sequence made sense to someone.

There is so little fitted to the F that it's all been used, possible exception being the rear foglight but I don't actualy know where it is on the car. At the back somewhere, I suppose.

Hang on, just remembered. The Fs came with the switch and wiring for the heated rear screen that come with the hard top, which I don't have, so winner! I've never used the heated rear screen on my MGF, because I don't have it.

Guest Breadvan72

I have never owned and hope that I never own a car with cupholders, but if I ever do I won't use the feckers.

Ditto Satnav.

I've got a thing about rear wipers, in that I refuse to use them because it messes with the symmetry of the view following traffic gets, I never use the central mirror anyway, 30 years of being a chauffeur, I suppose . This means I always turn off the auto front wipers if I need to reverse, OCD ? Nah, no really not, well much.

Obvs, don't use that funny lever on the left of the steering column that makes a little green light flash on the dash.

I'm with you there, it really annoys me when the rear wiper comes on automatically when you stick it in reverse after spending ages building up a nice film of muck on the window. I was really surprised to see this happened on the Streetwise, I didn't expect the Rover to have features like that!

Thankfully the autowipe function can be turned off on the Octavia.

Strangely though I did like the fact that my old Renault 19 saloon had a rear wiper even though I never used it - I guess I just liked the oddness of a rear wiper on a saloon.

I'm with you there, it really annoys me when the rear wiper comes on automatically when you stick it in reverse after spending ages building up a nice film of muck on the window. I was really surprised to see this happened on the Streetwise, I didn't expect the Rover to have features like that!

Thankfully the autowipe function can be turned off on the Octavia.

Strangely though I did like the fact that my old Renault 19 saloon had a rear wiper even though I never used it - I guess I just liked the oddness of a rear wiper on a saloon.

Whilst I can see the benefits of a rear wiper, following a car that has it going just puts me on edge for some weird reason. The odd wipe is fine, but if it is on constantly it winds me up. Dunno why.

The coin holders that are in the slots where my heated seat switches should be. Tried using them once, lost all of my betting change down behind the handbrake. 

Headlight beam adjustment - I set it to "2" as I prefer the beam to be more concentrated and therefore brighter rather than stretched and a bit dim. 

Heated Rear Window... The car has AC on all the time, so it doesn't steam up. In the winter, i leave the car running whilst I have breakfast, so the rear window gets defrosted by the heater.