New wheels

Electric Leyland

Sweet man! Looks like a sort of Japanese attempt at making a Volvo 340 though.

Hey you're right, I hadn't noticed that before. Front end of a Mazda back end of Volvo 343. It's roomy inside for a small car too. Mate at work suggests giving it the General Lee look with Confederate Flag but that's a hot political topic at the moment.

Oh wow, that's gorgeous.  Great purchase story too - definitely one for grabbing it on the spot and working out the rest later.  

These were about the most European of the Japanese and a decent contender against mk1 Golfs, Renault 14s and the new Horizon.  (Back in 1979, Ford and Vauxhall still didn't have a 5-door hatchback anywhere in the range.)  As far as I remember they were just known as Mazda Hatchbacks - the 'official' 323 name didn't come into general use until the next generation.

MORE PICS please.

Meanwhile, here's an ad from the internet.

1973-mazda-hatchback-1300-dl-ad.jpg

Fantastic! My Mum's first car was an orange estate, though I'm too early to remember it but still have soft spot for them. I reckon this would have been a firm piece of Autoshite when the site was created almost 10(!) years ago, so it's great that you managed to find it for sale at the side of the road. They're becoming rare in NZ in standard form due to RWD lickers, especially with the desirable early 'bugeye' fronts and smaller tail lights, as well as Mazda's rotary history. There are a few wagons knocking about locally still plying a trade for old fellas who mow lawns.

Here's the last one I spotted in everyday unpretentious use, on holiday in the south island last year:

IMG_31002_zpsf8166283.jpg

How on earth did it survive?  Is there a tale to tell?  I have an '82 Mazda 626 Montrose that only survived because it was trapped in a heated garage for 23 years until the elderly owner (Wilfred) eventually died.   

PS. That ad is decidely dubious. 

PPS. Australia has a thriving retro Mazda scene. There are a couple of Facebook groups - Mazda collectors and restorers and Mazda classics.