Primrose R75...... The End, for now...

EssDeeWon

Being new I wasn't here for the beginning, but have trawled through and am now up to date.

Wanted it but would only pay £500.

Bought it £400.

Spent upwards of £1,000, with the possibility of a further £1,000 needed.

.................Because it's Yellow.

It's worth around £500.

I rest my case.

Sounds like most of my cars (except for the redeeming feature) :)

• 7 months later...

Finally an update to share, the Rover broke down this afternoon.  I had just parked up in Great Wakering and some chap walking his dog had stopped to pay compliments to the car, "that looks lovely" were his words just as PPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! Coolant pissing out all over the road, lifted the bonnet and the main engine to rad hose was spraying coolant out all over the engine, fun!!

Called the RAC and after the initial fateful diagnostics of OMG HGF and 'its finished' it did turn out to be a split rad hose that pissed the coolant out, however it probably is overdue an OAT flush and change, seemed to be some sludge in there so that all needs attending to along with some new hoses and will be next week with a blank cheque.

So the first breakdown in my £400 Rover I purchased 4 years ago.

Its hasn't been raining, that is coolant all over the road.

47881551981_38fa26f97c_b.jpgBroken Rover 75 by steve wilson, on Flickr

Not seen this thread before but just spent twenty minutes catching up with it. Never knew the reg but you've just reminded me of one I papped a few years ago in Billericay, can't remember exactly where otherwise I'd go back and see if it's still there.  (Just looked closer at the picture, no it's not yours) 

IMAG0182.jpg

Thanks chaps, yes nothing a day in the garage and a few hundred quid shouldn't sort out.  It appears to be a 60 odd quid hose with the bleed screw in. Plus loads of OAT and plenty of flushing and bleeding but i'll leave it to the experts.

Hi Amishtat, not seen that one in Billericay before, difficult to see the full reg but certainly isn't mine, looks like a W reg though!

It looks a PITA to get to both ends where its held on plus I don't fancy flushing and bleeding one of these systems, I leave things like that to experts like British Legends who I hope will get the Rover on the road again very soon.

The RAC guy had a look, said this hose goes into the 'V' but couldn't see exactly where it ended.

This goes into British Legends tomorrow whilst i'm away in Spain.  There is definitely oil in the coolant so I suspect the NLA engine oil cooler needs blanking for now as these are prone to fail especially after 19 years, some have failed much sooner than that.  Needs the main engine to radiator hose replacing along with all new coolant and a thorough flush.  I am hoping that is all I come back to a bill for.

On 5/19/2019 at 5:51 PM, purplebargeken said:

Ouch. Could have been worse mate. I have a roll of self-amalgamating hose repair tape in the car. You never know when a hose might let go. Obviously not much use in a major let go but could be handy one day. 

+1 on the self amalgamating tape but then I drive a Triumph. The hoses are are all simple and easy to get to.

On 5/19/2019 at 6:19 PM, Amishtat said:

Not seen this thread before but just spent twenty minutes catching up with it. Never knew the reg but you've just reminded me of one I papped a few years ago in Billericay, can't remember exactly where otherwise I'd go back and see if it's still there.  (Just looked closer at the picture, no it's not yours) 

IMAG0182.jpg

W734YNO a 2.5 KV6 75. On SORN seemingly since 2008.

Good to see you here again Skizzer. Hope the lovely 75 gets sorted.

Rover is fixed, for now anyway. I am still in Spain but spoke to the garage today who have replaced that main engine to rad hose, flushed the system, refilled and bled with new coolant. They have been running it up and monitoring it over the last two days and it’s behaving itself, no sign of oil in the coolant at this stage so they haven’t replaced the oil cooler because they obviously don’t want to carry out hundreds of pounds of unnecessary work. Will use it and monitor over the coming weeks and months and will check both oil and water levels. Can’t say fairer than that!