Primrose R75...... The End, for now...

EssDeeWon

Spoken to the owner this morning, as I predicted his son feels is worth loads £££££££ because of the colour.

Yes and No, unfortunately this one is a little tatty, has not been serviced in a couple of years, needs an MOT and various other bits and bobs that I was prepared to do. Exhaust needed, electric seats dont work, sunroof doesn't work, paint has not been polished or cared for in a long time, both mirrors are broken, its generally scruffy but I was prepared to take it on...

My £500 offer is way off the mark apparently, personally I don't think it is but I will keep an eye out for it going up for sale.

So 500 quid was way off the mark! Stupid people. With all of those faults/issues the car despite its colour really isn't worth anything like 500 quid.

They may well struggle to sell it and in some way it will serve them right and they will regret not taking your offer. Bloody stupid. We should all visit and make derisory offers of around 300 quid and see what they say to that.

Sorry mate :)

Relish the blue one as she is a beaut!

If they really think its worth teh big coin you would think they would have serviced it and washed/polished it from time to time. Obviously they think its worth some random amount which is a lot, but somehow small enough that its not economc for them to expend any effort on maintenance or even a flippin MOT test.

Tell them your offer is £500 and a guaranteed good home for it (I think £500 is generous, i wouldnt pay that for it and i really like it) but you can't go any higher than that. They'll call you back eventually (or take a hit on PX'ing/weighing it in due to embarassment at their own greed).

Thats what Ive done Bol, I said my offer of £500 still stands so call me if you change your mind.

Whats annoying me is that they apparently dont know what its worth but they think its worth much more than £500.

The son who knows so much about 75 values drives a modern BMW, nuff said.

It's the old story. The car is cheap and they "just want rid" until someone shows an interest then it's suddenly a million pounds.

This happened to me with a calibra once. I put down a deposit on a car at a more than fair price, agreed to pick up the next day.

By the next day she's spoken to her walking parkers price guide son who's told her I am ripping her off massively.

She hurls abuse at me on the doorstep and throws my deposit back in my face.

Three months later, phone call on my answerphone. She's sorry, has been thinking about it and would like me to have it at the original agreed price.

No one else wanted it. Funny that. And by then neither did I.

I don't see them getting 500 quid easily for a W Reg R75 in a kinky colour with no ticket that's a bit tatty. Let em stew.

If you still want it when they realise its value tell them you've only got 400 quid now.

Ahh, the old 'my son knows about cars so I will ask him' fallback for ditherers. Dad thinks son knows everything so believes what son says. Son couldn't care less what the car is worth and hasn't actually a clue. 'Got to be worth loads dad, stick out for £££££££'s.'

Car eventually gets scrapped or sold for £very little. Son blames the 'current market conditions '. Dad still thinks son is brilliant and in no way to blame for loss of sale. 'My son knows all about current market conditions' etc..

This seems to happen a lot ! They won't sell it for more than your offer!! Only an enthusiast cares what colour it is and unfortunately for them an enthusiast also knows what it's worth and how expensive some of the jobs can be.

Without MOT it's not worth much more than scrap value. Needs to be perfect paint and mechanicals to be worth any more 😕

Chaps you have all summed this situation up to a T.

I am going to drop a note through the door stating my interest at £500 and my phone number, then they have it in writing.

The only thing the car has going for it is the colour, apart from that there is no appeal. If it was blue or silver it would only be worth its weight in scrap, beleive me I have given it close inspection, and evidence suggests for 18 months its been run on a shoe string. 4 odd non matching tyres, not been serviced etc etc

Put is this way.....the owner is speaking more highly of the car today than when I first showed interest last Thursday.

You've made more than a good offer on that 75 anyone with any sense would of snapped your hand off especially as it would be going to a real enthusiast so it would of been a win win situation for both of you.

The reason the 75 is so popular with the likes of us is because it's up there with the likes of Ford Cougar as Its a very well built car with all the toys for very little money but generally you average buyer doesn't see it that way and a lot of people are under the misconception that being a rover you won't get the spares for it and that anything with a rover badge will poo its head gasket because some bloke told them down the pub so are priced accordingly.

Also although I think the yellow looks lovely it's one of those Marmite colours so your average Joe would actually get put off by it and would rather have a more conservative silver or dark blue etc so would only ever be bought by an enthusiast rather than your average punter.

The shame of it is that the greedy old #%**# will end up weighing it in for nothing at the end of the day which is such a shame when it could of found a decent home.

Don't let the @£#%* try and talk you into giving anymore money for it as you've been more than fair with him and it sounds like he wanted a free mechanic at hand to sort his car out.

I've bought two old 405s this way, one on ebay one on Autotrader.

They sit there for a few months, far too dear, I eventually go and see them because I love 'em.  

I offer what I think they'll go for, i.e £300 ish.

Owner or trader tut tuts and says they need more.

I say the offer stands and leave them my number, all with great politeness.

In two or three months I'm called back and they say "Go on then you can have it".

There's not many cars where you can say the seller is in the stronger position.

Typical greedy, deluded seller. The car is only of interest to a 75 enthusiast. Anyone else will see it as an old obselete car in a weird colour and thats a bit tired. Soon the prospect of a generous 500 nicker will seem impossibly distant to the seller.

Guarantee he will be back in 2 months.

I agree with everything said so far. Good advice. Definately don't go over the £500 as it's more than generous. Have you added up the cost of what needs spending on it? I'm sure you'll end up spending the same again as there's probably other things that will need doing.

I agree with everything said so far. Good advice. Definately don't go over the £500 as it's more than generous. Have you added up the cost of what needs spending on it? I'm sure you'll end up spending the same again as there's probably other things that will need doing.

Yeah and the rest fred  :?

No way im going over £500, I made an offer and he has my number.

Another thing that made me chuckle was the owner telling me that the scrap price was £275, which obviously it isn't (its £120) but that just shows it must have crossed his mind. Another thing he told me was that when his son got him the car he said "Dad, I've got you a car, your gonna love the car but hate the colour"

Now lets see his son get £££££££££££ for it.

I'm afraid, that I'm quite cruel when negotiating with idiots. Try this : Offer a fair £500, they say they want more. You say, "let me have another look, maybe I was overly harsh about it's condition" - go and look again, find another couple of faults, tell them it will cost £700 to fix it, and it's only worth £500 once fixed, due to the rest of the faults but you can do them a favour cause you like the colour.  You'll give them £250 now, because If you end up scrapping it, that way you've only lost £125. 

When said owner of Rover comes crawling back to you in September, generously* allowing you to take on the car for £500, make sure you check it over again thoroughly.

People like that will go to such lengths as removing the radio/ spare wheel/ jack/ locking wheel nuts etc etc in some deluded attempt at bitterly getting more money out of the deal.

Above items will then sit decaying in a shed, not helping anyone.

I've honestly experienced clueless individuals on that wavelength :D